The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Model A Huckster Group (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4075)

Fred K-OR 06-04-2010 09:14 PM

Model A Huckster Group

I started a Model A Huckster Group.

I know a Huckster is not a "true blue" Model A Ford type body but there are a number of them around. So all you "odd balls" let's join in together and share some ideas.

james hitchcock 06-05-2010 12:16 AM

Re: Model A Huckster Group

Well I'm not ready to join as of yet. I just got my 31 p.u home and he's going to begin the next stage of his life as a Huckster. I got my body plans which I'm going to do some tweeking to but will still (other than wood body) be a stock Model A. I would like to ask, do you have any good pic's of how the cowl meets the wood cab? Fitting the cowl isn't in the plans.
James Hitchcock
Visalia, Ca.

chet 06-05-2010 06:59 AM

I have a pair of hinges made for a huckster or woody. They are made correctly for a 1928-1929 style. Duplicated from an original set of hinges. Anyone interested, asking $300 plus shipping or I can deliver to French Lick, and I can send pics. 413-786-6318 after 6PM

YOJIMI 06-05-2010 08:27 AM

Me and a friend are building both the truck version and the panel truck version with their plans. The plans that we have are from 1995 so no DVD was available.The plans are easy to follow , and a person with even moderate wood working skills can have the body roughed together in a weekend. Getting it sitting on the frame also keeps you motivated because it looks like something ...Heck ... we even cut down the oak tree that we sawed up and had kiln dried for the lumber .This seems like the cheepest way to get into an "A"..... Oh , by the way , if you are very tall, don't forget to taylor the seating to fit yourself during your build

JIMI

Fred K-OR 06-05-2010 11:11 AM

"Oh , by the way , if you are very tall, don't forget to taylor the seating to fit yourself during your build"

This is very good advise. I am 6'2" and have a little problem getting my big feet in the door. I had the guy make the seat sit back a ways.

captaincorley 07-11-2010 11:43 PM

New to the site and Model A's, I am bringing a 1930 Huckster back to life from being in a shed for 10 yrs.

denis4x4 07-12-2010 06:57 AM

Just finished the body building platform for my huckster. Using a 28-29 cowl and it will be powered by a 1975 Ford 1.8 SOHC engine with a 4-speed transmission.

Tinman1 07-12-2010 09:07 AM

I am building a convert 1929 version ( 1950's mechanic Illustrated ) of a Huctster and or convert woody wagon...along the same lines for sure...A 2-dr. called an Estate Wagon...I have the original info from MI and an artist drawing 2'x4' for inspiration..

denis4x4 07-12-2010 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tinman1 (Post 43316)
I am building a convert 1929 version ( 1950's mechanic Illustrated ) of a Huctster and or convert woody wagon...along the same lines for sure...A 2-dr. called an Estate Wagon...I have the original info from MI and an artist drawing 2'x4' for inspiration..

I remember that article...didn't they call it a "beach buggy or a beach wagon" or was that Pop Mechanics?

SLPreston53 08-23-2010 10:25 PM

Hey, I am interested!! Been loading pix of Hucksters from the internet and wondered if anyone has actual plans for Huckster bodies for an "A"?

'29wagon 08-24-2010 12:27 AM

Hey Tinman1,
those might be the plans i've been looking for. how'd you get ahold of them ?

Fred K-OR 08-24-2010 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captaincorley (Post 43202)
New to the site and Model A's, I am bringing a 1930 Huckster back to life from being in a shed for 10 yrs.

Looks like it is on the way. Also looks like it is in good shape. Good luck.

Fred K-OR 08-24-2010 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLPreston53 (Post 66727)
Hey, I am interested!! Been loading pix of Hucksters from the internet and wondered if anyone has actual plans for Huckster bodies for an "A"?

Steve, if you are interested is getting one already built, I purchased mine form Lentville A's in Holland MI. They have a web site at www.lentville.com.

fritznbud 11-13-2010 10:57 PM

Hey all, I'm taking delivery on my new 1930 Huckster in the morning, from Lexington NC. I feel like a kid on Christmas eve! My first task will be doors. Can someone give me the dimensions of their doors? Thanks and it sure is nice to have found a Huckster group. Sincerely, Fritz

Jazzjr 11-13-2010 11:59 PM

Fritz, I'm building my Huckster Van from a set of plans and Video from the Wagon Works. I don't know if yours was built from the same plans ??

I just Finished Building and installed My Front doors about a week ago, the Height is 45" Width is 27". Glass size is 24' wide by 18' high. If I get time Tomorrow I'll take some Photos and Post them to this Thread. Good Luck on Building the Doors, little bit tricky doing the Dadoing and making the Original or Repo's Window Risers and Glass Channel work, but mine came out Great, if I say so myself. The Rear Doors were a Breeze, even with Oval Windows.

For those looking to purchase the Plans and Video, His name is Jay Cramer. He bought out the Plans and business from the Hudson Wagon Works of years ago. His Address is below, best time to reach him is after 7 PM est.

Wagon Works
213 SW Kline St.
Ankeny, Iowa 50023-2639
Tel. 515-964-5085

denis4x4 11-14-2010 10:07 AM

This is my second go round on building a Huckster. I'm doing a Wagon Works body with modifications. You need to buy both the DVD and the plans. Can't tell you how many times I get ready to do something using the plans and then double check the DVD only to find that the old boy changed his mind! I'm doing a tailgate like the original huckster and a glass lift gate using Jeep Wrangler hardware.

glenn in camino 11-14-2010 11:02 AM

I know they look great in natural wood but, in the day, weren't most of the originals painted? I think the wood was usually painted green.

MikeK 11-14-2010 11:19 AM

The Salt Creek Chapter of MAFCA owns this one. It has a Lentville body. The whole project took about 3 years.
Any club member can drive it. We refer to it as "The Pie Wagon".

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/e...ekPieWagon.jpg

Jazzjr 11-14-2010 05:10 PM

14 Attachment(s)
Here are the Photos of Progress of the Huckster Van I am Building. I still need to install the rear Door Handle and Locks, Plus put the Black Vinyl Top on. My Son is almost finished, with the Front, and Rear Fenders, which I will Paint Black. I still have a lot of Mechanical work to Finish up Also. But all Progress will Halt, Car is being Stored off Property, as I will be Wintering in Florida for the Winter as of Dec. 1st. Next spring I will finish it, than Trailer it to Florida to Use.

For these who want to Know about the Seat, It came out of a Dodge Mini Van, (Durango) Back seat, it was given to me. I used Fabric Dye to color it from Red to Black. As you can see it is 41" long and will fit the 44" inside space with 3" to spare. I built the Base out of Oak, the same height as the metal feet that were on it. I will anchor it to the Floor, using a Continuous Hinge, that way it can flip it up, and Store Tools, Jack and Spare Parts under it. It also came with Seat Belts already anchored in the seat, on the front, under the drivers side, where I will sit, I'll mount a Electrical Kill Switch.
This type of seat could be used for any Model A, if you don't have a Seat.

kfdutch 11-14-2010 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazzjr (Post 111959)
Here are the Photos of Progress of the Huckster Van I am Building. I still need to install the rear Door Handle and Locks, Plus put the Black Vinyl Top on. My Son is almost finished, with the Front, and Rear Fenders, which I will Paint Black. I still have a lot of Mechanical work to Finish up Also. But all Progress will Halt, Car is being Stored off Property, as I will be Wintering in Florida for the Winter as of Dec. 1st. Next spring I will finish it, than Trailer it to Florida to Use.

For these who want to Know about the Seat, It came out of a Dodge Mini Van, (Durango) Back seat, it was given to me. I used Fabric Dye to color it from Red to Black. As you can see it is 41" long and will fit the 44" inside space with 3" to spare. I built the Base out of Oak, the same height as the metal feet that were on it. I will anchor it to the Floor, using a Continuous Hinge, that way it can flip it up, and Store Tools, Jack and Spare Parts under it. It also came with Seat Belts already anchored in the seat, on the front, under the drivers side, where I will sit, I'll mount a Electrical Kill Switch.
This type of seat could be used for any Model A, if you don't have a Seat.

Nice looking Huckster. Looks like you are getting along well with it.

I have one of the "Pie" wagons as mentioned above. My pie wagon is used to haul grandkids in parades and other outings.