The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Clutch pressure plate New or Reconditioned? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=285487)

johnbuckley 08-12-2020 10:43 AM

Clutch pressure plate New or Reconditioned?

Time for a new clutch pressure plate . Snyders has a choice of brand new ones A-7563-X at $110 OR reconditioned original ones A-7563-OR ( no exchange needed) at $150 . Has anyone had experience of which may be better. ( it's not worth me shipping a core across the Atlantic :))

Dick M 08-12-2020 10:50 AM

Re: Clutch pressure plate New or Reconditioned?

Bert's Model A Center has a pressure plate rebuilder. He does a great job. The fingers are preset so all you have to do is bolt it to the flywheel. Steve at Bert's told me he has not had a defective rebuilt pressure plate come back in 30 years. I have one on my A. Five years and 12,000 miles later it still working perfectly.

1930artdeco 08-12-2020 11:51 AM

The new ones have (to me at least) dodgy workmanship. I bought a new one and when I got it, I looked at it and sent it back. It had multiple washers used as spacers.

Mike

Purdy Swoft 08-12-2020 12:26 PM

I use rebuilt pressure plates and new disk . I have bought rebuilt model A pressure plates at such places as NAPA and other local parts stores . They probably won't have them in stock but can get them PDQ . A trade in core will be required .

fuzes45 08-12-2020 01:06 PM

New ones made in China. Junk

Bob

Ruth 08-12-2020 01:20 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Go rebuilt. I hear the new ones have issues. Bratton's does not even sell new ones anymore.

While on the subject of clutches, I get my clutch disc from Bratton's Their disc has the incapsuled springs (see picture) while other vendors do not.

dennis lumbert 08-12-2020 01:25 PM

I have a new one that I installed with my AER rebuilt engine 2100 miles ago . It has functions perfectly so far .I used a new disc from Berts and adjusted the pressure plate fingers at install.

Tom Endy 08-12-2020 02:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
See attached article.

Tom Endy

Los_Control 08-12-2020 02:42 PM

Whats involved in rebuilding a pressure plate? working on newer 1951 8BA

Seems to me resurface it, new springs and adjustment. Is this something a guy can do at home? Can we buy replacement springs?

Some of us who work on these old cars like to do everything we can ourselves.
possible op may do same?

1930artdeco 08-12-2020 04:36 PM

I found a spring shop that can sell me the different springs for the pressure plate (Model A). I would have to check my emails for the name. surfacing might be a bit problematic unless you have a large lathe to do it right.

Mike

chrs1961815 08-12-2020 07:18 PM

Don't forget about balancing.

Mulletwagon 08-12-2020 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruth (Post 1919430)
Go rebuilt. I hear the new ones have issues. Bratton's does not even sell new ones anymore.

While on the subject of clutches, I get my clutch disc from Bratton's Their disc has the incapsuled springs (see picture) while other vendors do not.

I may be the exception but had a bad experience with the encapsulated style disk. The disk shown is a heavy duty disk which if normally used in truck applications. One would think it should work fine in car applications and probably does for most. The PO of my 31 Tudor installed the heavy duty disk with a V-8 style pressure plate. The chatter was extremely bad and the PO said it just needed adjustment (which I doubted). The heavy duty disk has heavier springs and what seems like a harder friction material. I tore it all down and could not find anything wrong or out of spec. I elected to put in a standard duty clutch disk with the lighter springs and unflanged spring retainers and all chatter was eliminated. Thinking maybe the heavy duty disk is not completely compatible with the V-8 pressure plate. Like the retained springs but the chatter just rattled my fillings too much. Maybe its just my unique experience.

RonC 08-12-2020 08:37 PM

www.fortwayneclutch.com reman Model A pressure plates.
Get your clutch disk from brattons they sell disks with spring guards.
Send them your brattons clutch disk and they will set the fingers to your disk

Jim M 08-13-2020 12:27 PM

x2 for Bert's. I opened the box and did not have to do a thing. Put it in and still perfect!! Highly recommend Steve.

RandyinUtah 08-13-2020 03:18 PM

I spoke with Steve owner of Bert's last year with the same question ( new or rebuilt) he informed me his rebuilder was no longer and only had new clutches. Perhaps Steve will post with updated information on this subject.