The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Removing bonded brake linings. (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=281795)

russcc 05-29-2020 12:14 PM

Removing bonded brake linings.

Suggestion for removing old bonded brake linings from good original '40 Ford rivet type shoes. 1 of them fell off, so it may not be to hard. Thank you Fordbarners

1931 flamingo 05-29-2020 01:00 PM

Re: Removing bonded brake linings.

If you've got a torch and a mask (don't we all??), try heating them to loosen bond..........
Paul in CT

Aarongriffey 05-29-2020 01:38 PM

Don’t use any type of grinder or sander. Asbestos dust makers.
I use an old gasket scraper and just chisel the linings off.
If the linings are good just rivet a new lining on that one shoe.
Sometimes they can be a real B to get off.
You may have to resort to a torch but that bonding stuff will Stan a lot of heat.

Chris Marshall 05-29-2020 01:46 PM

I just did this. The torch is definitely your friend. Heat the shoe first and then heat the lining itself. Some came right off, but others were extremely stubborn. Heat, scrape, reheat, scrape some more. I then sandblasted and painted the bare shoes since I'd heated and scorched the paint.

19Fordy 05-29-2020 02:36 PM

Wonder what type of adhesive is used to bond the shoes?

russcc 05-29-2020 06:13 PM

It most have a lot to do with what is, and how it is applied as one lining fell off. It may have been exposed to brake fluid ?

flatheadmurre 05-29-2020 11:55 PM

Itīs heatcured glue so like powdercoat it will be great if the surface is clean...if the guy sandblasting the shoes did a poor job (usually a airless blasting machine) they will fail wth time.
Clean aply cement fix the lining tight to the shoe and into the oven with it...you fail to clean or get it tight fitting less chance for it to work out as it should.

Automotive Stud 05-30-2020 09:10 AM

I've always hammer and chiseled them off.

philipswanson 05-30-2020 09:53 AM

Burn with torch, then chisel off.

cmbrucew 05-30-2020 01:01 PM

Take them to your local friction material shop for relining or exchange.
Bruce

russcc 06-01-2020 10:56 AM

I do not intend to use modern linings. I have NORS rivet type linings to replace the modern junk that doesn't stop. Ray has great story about a boat yard crane that they spent a big chunk of money on to have hoist winch brake relined, They lost a load because the hoist brake would stop after the relining. Ray relined it for them will old type lining material riveted in place. No more problems.

frnkeore 06-01-2020 02:18 PM

Soft lining will stop great, when they are not hot. Poorly, when they do get hot. Such as loaded going down a long hill or pulling a heavy load.

I always like the old Raybesto lining. They had copper embedded in them and gave the best of both, or at least the best compromise.

russcc 06-02-2020 07:05 PM

If you wan to stop like an original '40 with properly adjusted brakes this is lining to use, not the modern stuff.