The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Misery loves company (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=292224)

1stford 12-29-2020 09:24 PM

Misery loves company

I’ve been in my shop looking for a part that I set aside so I would know where it was when I needed it. I’ve looked everywhere and had no luck. Are there any other folks out there that have to buy a 2nd part because they can’t find the perfectly good one they already own only to certainly find it again when the new part comes?

ironandsteele 12-29-2020 09:26 PM

Re: Misery loves company

All the time.

STEVE O 12-29-2020 09:27 PM

YES! Hate that. The older I get the more often it happens. Steve

tubman 12-29-2020 09:29 PM

O/T, but I found I had THREE carpet sets for my Corvette in my shop.:eek:

bobH 12-29-2020 09:32 PM

Wait until you get to be my age (about the same as your grandpa's). I don't spend much time looking anymore. It's easier to source another part. Especially if it's a hardware store item.

koates 12-29-2020 09:33 PM

It happens to me every now and then. But a bigger shed with more shelving might be the way to go. Or maybe more space to loose things in. Regards, Kevin.

Ziggster 12-29-2020 09:38 PM

Haha! Thought I was alone. I put the glass fuel sediment bowl away so it would be "safe", and of course now I can't find it anywhere, so I just ordered a new one. New problem though is trying to keep track of what I have ordered. I have ordered so much stuff over the last two years for my project, that I have actually forgotten about some stuff. Now that is scary. Lol!

4dFord/SC 12-29-2020 09:45 PM

In a similar vein, when I discard something I've not used in years, within 10 days I need it.

John R 12-29-2020 09:46 PM

I just spent an hour today looking for a small part I know I have but can't seem to find. Time to order another one. Fortunately, it is relatively inexpensive. Not the first time this has happened.

JSeery 12-29-2020 09:57 PM

Constantly!

PeteVS 12-29-2020 09:58 PM

I often have a job to do that requires a special tool. I always know I have the tool but I just can't find it. So, I go out and buy another one, do the job and when I go to put the tool I just bought away, I go to put it exactly where the "missing" tool has been all the time. Once I went to take a trailer hitch off of a car that was being traded in. I couldn't find the long 5/8 box wrench I needed. Bought another one. Took the bolt off one side and when I went to take off the other side, there was the missing wrench hanging on the bolt to be loosened.

hope 12-29-2020 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1stford (Post 1968114)
I’ve been in my shop looking for a part that I set aside so I would know where it was when I needed it. I’ve looked everywhere and had no luck. Are there any other folks out there that have to buy a 2nd part because they can’t find the perfectly good one they already own only to certainly find it again when the new part comes?

"YES" to the replies.

Hope:)

Lawrie 12-29-2020 10:16 PM

inventory your stuff. it takes a while to do but is sure worth it.
Lawrie

GB SISSON 12-29-2020 10:24 PM

I don't even know what 'inventory' means and I have run a certified, registered, insured business for almost 35 years. People want me to make them stuff outa wood, so I do and then they pay me and I buy stuff with the money they give me. If there is any left over I buy stuff for my ford projects and then I lose the parts and order replacements. Good thing I ain't your accountant, huh?

cas3 12-29-2020 10:31 PM

special part in a special place means even the fbi couldnt find it in my shop

Lawson Cox 12-29-2020 11:40 PM

I'm selling off some of my stuff due to age. I'm finding all kinds of stuff that I forgot I had. Duplicates of many items that I lost and replaced. LOL That's life.

ford38v8 12-29-2020 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lawrie (Post 1968144)
inventory your stuff. it takes a while to do but is sure worth it.
Lawrie

You gotta be kidding. Where the hell did I put that damn inventory?

tubman 12-29-2020 11:57 PM

These days, if I need something (a part or a tool), I have gotten into the habit of checking my "stash".

I usually find what I was looking for.

Tinker 12-30-2020 12:33 AM

Nope, I don't loose a part. Kind of a first world problem. It'll be there, you'll find it. Maybe create a bin system of parts.

V8COOPMAN 12-30-2020 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cas3 (Post 1968148)
special part in a special place means even the fbi couldnt find it in my shop

They ain't finding hardly nothin' lately! DD