The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   OFF SUBJECT Quick Color rattle can paint (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=283622)

Lawson Cox 07-05-2020 03:12 PM

OFF SUBJECT Quick Color rattle can paint

Does anyone have experience with the Quick Color brand of rattle can paint? It's cheap (Read that inexpensive.) I'm wanting to paint some patio furniture BLACK. I have used Rustoleum in the past but their black fades out to a grayish color pretty quickly in the sun/weather. Don't like that.

J Franklin 07-05-2020 04:24 PM

Re: OFF SUBJECT Quick Color rattle can paint

I like Krylon rattle cans, it is deep black and dries very fast. I think your choice works well also, I have used it and didn't find any negatives.

A bones 07-05-2020 06:29 PM

Krylon always worked for me.

Yoyodyne 07-05-2020 07:04 PM

I haven't use quick color. Can you get Appliance Epoxy spray cans locally? It's sold by both Krylon and Ace, possibly Rustoleum also. I get it at the local Ace Hardware. Builds, fast, dries immediately, and it's tough. So far I've only seen Black, white and silver. I use it now on everything I want black.

Digger 07-05-2020 07:14 PM

Krylon

Detonator 07-06-2020 05:02 PM

I've had good luck with Rustoleum "2X" -- but I shoot SEM high-build primer first.

STEVE O 07-06-2020 05:32 PM

I second the Rustoleum "2x". My son told me to try it. I got the marigold yellow which is very close to the industrial yellow on my skid steer loader. That color usually has very low pigment and will barely cover. That "2X" stuff covers better than anything I have ever seen. I give Rustoleum a thumbs up for that paint! Rustoleum's all position nozzle is great if you use all the can but if you don't you will be lucky if it sprays after it sits for a while. You can't turn the can upside down to clean the nozzle. Called Rustoleum in reference to the problem and they said they would send me new nozzles, I explained I can clean the nozzles but not the tube going down into the can. OOPS got off subject and rambled on. Steve

GB SISSON 07-06-2020 10:31 PM

Steve, I feel your pain. I'm a rattle can addict and have been a rustoleum fan for years. Can't wait to try the 2x marigold yellow for my old case skidsteer. Funny how certain colors like yellows cover so poorly. I thought it was just my imagination. I save tips (so many different types) and soak them in acetone/lacquer thinner, but it's that dang tube that clogs. I bet I have 50 cans on shelves that are 2/3rds full, but clogged. And like so many other addicts, I keep buying more.......

Will D 07-06-2020 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GB SISSON (Post 1906727)
Steve, I feel your pain. I'm a rattle can addict and have been a rustoleum fan for years. Can't wait to try the 2x marigold yellow for my old case skidsteer. Funny how certain colors like yellows cover so poorly. I thought it was just my imagination. I save tips (so many different types) and soak them in acetone/lacquer thinner, but it's that dang tube that clogs. I bet I have 50 cans on shelves that are 2/3rds full, but clogged. And like so many other addicts, I keep buying more.......

Would it work to unclog? I can't recommend as it could be fatal but can offer experience. I have recharged a wd40 spray can with an air compressor. Was full of fluid but no airosol to spray it...the safest and easiest method is to use a small can of compressed air for blowing off keyboards etc, think it's called air duster. The red straw fits into both tips. Press air duster can first then the wd40 can and fill until pressure equalizes, release wd40 can then air duster.

Maybe use this method after using the spray paint but prior to storage so nothing can dry in the tip end. Just a short blast should work to clear the tip end. *****use a "can" of compressed air instead of an air compressor unless you know what you are doing and regulate the air pressure*****

PeteVS 07-07-2020 04:57 AM

I have a small juice bottle regular paint thinner in it. After I use an "all position" can, I pop the nozzle off, stick it in the paint thinner and shake the dickens out of it. Then, I retrieve it out of the thinner, wipe it off and give it a shot of compressed air and stick it back in the can. I make sure to not push it in far enough to start paint flow again. Once, with a can of Krylon, I let the nozzle sit in the thinner until I used the can again. It seems that the thinner caused the main part of the nozzle to slightly expand and the next time I used it, the little pellet with the small hole blew out and I got paint all over. What a mess. I was impolite to the Krylon customer person on the 800 number.

deuce_roadster 07-07-2020 09:35 AM

I keep a small squeeze bottle with a small tip (HF sells these in packs of 3) with lacquer thinner in it on my bench. Anytime I use a rattle can I put a little on a paper towel and clean the exterior of the nozzle. Never had to clean the inside and they always work next time I use them months or years later.
I also have one of these squeeze bottles with non ethanol gas in it so that before I start one of my flathead cars that has been sitting (I have 5) I put a fair amount of gas into the carb via the bowl vent and they start right up without a lot of cranking. This even works well on my 94s with the small oval vent hole with no mess.

GB SISSON 07-07-2020 10:15 AM

Can someone post a picture of the bowl vent location on a 94? I too have some flatheads that sit too long. Oh, and to answer the poster's question, no I haven't had any experience with that Quick Color brand. I tend to stick with brand names on the paints.

deuce_roadster 07-07-2020 10:36 AM

Gary, if you look from the driver's side at the carb top that goes up to where the air cleaner clamps, on the front there is a small flange that goes up for strength. In that vertical flange is the small oval vent hole. Maybe they don't all have this but mine do.
I think the later 59 series carbs have a vent tube up in the air horn.

Oh, I have not used (or seen) the product Lawson is asking about.

Lawson Cox 07-07-2020 11:16 AM

Quick Color, I have learned, is Rustoleum's just regular enamel paint with no rust inhibitors. I'm gonna give it a shot. (Strange how this thread digressed to how to clean out nozzles and tubes inside rattle cans.) LOL

Tim Ayers 07-07-2020 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lawson Cox (Post 1906858)
Quick Color, I have learned, is Rustoleum's just regular enamel paint with no rust inhibitors. I'm gonna give it a shot. (Strange how this thread digressed to how to clean out nozzles and tubes inside rattle cans.) LOL

Quick Color is great. Goes on well and evenly. Cheap. I think like a $1.00 at Home Depot.

Best I've used is the Seymour cans with the fan nozzle. It's as close to a spray gun as you'll find in a spray bomb.

deuce_roadster 07-07-2020 02:02 PM

Yeah, the spray cans with a fan pattern are certainly superior. (unless you like runs)