The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   How many Model A Phaetons were made? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=269594)

Mikko_ 09-17-2019 11:48 AM

How many Model A Phaetons were made?

2 Attachment(s)
As the title says, anyone that has information on how many 4 door Phaetons were made between 1928 and 1931?

Curious as I recently bought a Phaeton made in may 1928.

As seen in the pictures it needs some work before rolling on the streets again, last time was in 1939. :rolleyes:

Bob Johnson 09-17-2019 12:15 PM

Re: How many Model A Phaetons were made?

There were 216854 Phaetons manufactured from 1927 to 1931.

Standard Phaetons (4 door)

1927 - 221
1928 - 68176
1929 - 90291
1930 - 39886
1931 - 11060

Deluxe Phaetons
1930 - 4345
1931 - 2875

Total 216854

Detailed production figures can be found at http://www.modelahouse.com/tech/production.html

Bob

Mikko_ 09-17-2019 01:07 PM

Thank you for the information :)

ronn 09-17-2019 03:42 PM

way more then you thought huh Mikko?

they made a heck of a lot of A's..................

Jim/GA 09-17-2019 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronn (Post 1800115)

Yes, and when the Model A was new, the phaeton was not really a popular body style. If the weather was not pleasant, you got wet, you were cold, etc.

But it was cheap! Only $395 in 1928! (That's about $6,000 in 2019 dollars.) Only the roadster was cheaper ($385).

It was perfect for a family. You could put 3 people in the front seat of a phaeton (father, mother, and small child on her lap) and 5 or more in the back seat, and they were all --more or less-- out of the weather. You could not get that many people in the rumble seat of the cheaper roadster, and they got wet.

If you could afford it, the Tudor Sedan was by far the most popular body style. Lots of room inside and everyone was warm and dry in the car. A lot of money, though: $495. That's 25% more! Interestingly, the Std. Coupe and Business Coupe were also $495. Who wouldn't want the Tudor for the same money?

The phaeton was about 30% of Model A sales outside the USA in 1928-29, while it was only 3-5% of sales in the USA. This is due to price (import tariffs were charged on them) and they knocked down to a smaller size and weight for shipping overseas on the boat. The freight was paid by the overseas buyer.

At the other end of the cost spectrum was the S/W Town Sedan at $630 (equivalent to over $10,500 in today's money) and the Town Car at $1,200 ($18,300 today)!

Fun facts!

Synchro909 09-17-2019 07:50 PM

Over here, the Phaeton (tourer) was BY FAR the biggest seller. As for getting wet, mine stays dry but I have put a little extra into getting the top right. I believe the Tudor was a poular choice for the parents of young kids because there are no back doors to fling open and the kids depart onto the road.

CHuDWah 09-17-2019 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim/GA (Post 1800139)
...Interestingly, the Std. Coupe and Business Coupe were also $495. Who wouldn't want the Tudor for the same money?...

Coupes, and even roadsters, probably were more popular with salesmen, police patrols, etc where cargo space was more important than passenger room. Guess they called it Business Coupe for a reason. :D

Tudortomnz 09-18-2019 12:13 AM

[QUOTE=Jim/GA;1800139]

The phaeton was about 30% of Model A sales outside the USA in 1928-29, while it was only 3-5% of sales in the USA. This is due to price (import tariffs were charged on them) and they knocked down to a smaller size and weight for shipping overseas on the boat. The freight was paid by the overseas buyer.

Fun facts![/QUOTe
Ok, basically alright but do not quite understand the piece from above quote. Phaetons were popular outside USA, about 40% production in Australia [ bodies fully assembled & partly made there] & here in NZ as they were cheap & could carry a family. Also popular in India, Sth Africa & Sth America. In US the open car was starting to go out of popularity for all the obvious reasons but open cars elsewhere were still considered versatile & cheap. The buyer here [ in NZ] & elsewhere did not pay for freight from Canada or US ; cars were priced to the market. Ford could produce at a low price & still sell taking export into account & make a good profit per car. Many of the overseas markets had their own assembly facilities & could import a lot of components cheaply. Prices did go up when particular overseas markets had to have local content [ Europe & Australia] as this could not compete with Ford sourced supplies & volumes. From 1932 on, the Phaeton was virtually gone from the NZ market [ partially due to Depression] & closed car sales dominated. In Australia& Sth America the open car was still popular up to c. 1936. Cheers.

Mike Peters 09-18-2019 07:37 AM

Looking at your photos, you are in the beginning stages of reconstruction. If you haven't done so already, be absolutely sure your frame is straight. If your frame is sagged, it will be VERY difficult to get all four doors to all work at once.

1928Mik 09-18-2019 07:46 AM

Welcome to a fellow Phaeton owner. Good luck putting it all back together!

Mikko_ 09-18-2019 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Peters (Post 1800351)
Looking at your photos, you are in the beginning stages of reconstruction. If you haven't done so already, be absolutely sure your frame is straight. If your frame is sagged, it will be VERY difficult to get all four doors to all work at once.

The guy who sold it to me is helping with the reconstruction of the body and since he does restorations and coachbuilding for a living with over 30 years of experience with Model A's I'm sure it will turn out great in the end. :)

I have seen some of his work and it's impressive what some people can do with sheet metal.

But thanks for the heads up. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronn (Post 1800115)

Didn't really know what to expect, just don't see many Phaetons around.
But they are 90 years old so maybe that's to be expected.:rolleyes:

Mikko_ 09-18-2019 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1928Mik (Post 1800356)
Welcome to a fellow Phaeton owner. Good luck putting it all back together!

Thank you.:)

I'm glad that I got good and experienced help with the body.