The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   47 Ford Pickup Windshield Replacement (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=287168)

dorvedahl47pu 09-13-2020 04:57 PM

47 Ford Pickup Windshield Replacement

Does anyone out there who has replaced a 40-47 Ford pickup windshield know if it a good idea to use a sealant in addition to the new rubber seals?

Thanks in advance.

alanwoodieman 09-13-2020 05:15 PM

Re: 47 Ford Pickup Windshield Replacement

most trouble I have had with these is leaking around where the seals overlap in the center and ends where the outside trim piece fits

Fordestes 09-13-2020 05:17 PM

I always use a windshield sealant, the stuff I use is from 3- m, I didn't use it once and regretted it, the water seeped around the bottom onto the dash and started to rust a bit before I realized what was happening.

dorvedahl47pu 09-13-2020 06:17 PM

Thanks...very helpful!

A bones 09-13-2020 08:28 PM

Avoid using silicone. It will promote rust. ( one of my inventory )

The prefered sealant is polyurethane. Please disregard.

I am wrong. (once more) This info (Urethane) was from someone else. I was impressed because of my experience with silicone. So having checked with youtube, I see it is for glue set cars. Not gasket set. (Seen both done in my days of repair work.)

My apologies. Difficult tho it is I say, I shall only post when I need help with my own project.

GB SISSON 09-13-2020 09:26 PM

Timely... The glass for my '47 pickup windshield came in last week. Now I gotta find a youtube video about replacing it!

dorvedahl47pu 09-14-2020 01:37 PM

Could you explain how to seal with the polyurethane please? I assume you "paint" it on the exterior of the seal after installation?

Thanks.

A bones 09-14-2020 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dorvedahl47pu (Post 1931511)
Could you explain how to seal with the polyurethane please? I assume you "paint" it on the exterior of the seal after installation?

Thanks.

First, may I say Welcome to The Barn. Please read my edited post #5.

You can have my place here. I am no longer fit to be a part of this wonderful project ( flathead education enjoyment )

Unlike me, the steady contributors here are priceless. I wish You the best ( lotsa fun ) with your truck. I thank all who have kept me afloat. Still I shall lurk as I am hungry to get on my feet, and make this more than a wish.

dorvedahl47pu 09-16-2020 11:25 PM

No worries at all! If only people who have never been wrong posted, this forum wouldn't be worth much, so it's ALL GOOD!:)

1oldtimer 09-19-2020 08:41 PM

I used the 3m stuff which works good but harder to clean up and is thicker (harder to put under rubber lip). I used some cheap black gasket sealer from Orileys on my panel truck and it was easier to clean up, easier to apply under the seal and is waterproof......only thing to find out is how long it will last (1 year and counting). I'm going to try it on my '41 p/u.

One piece of advice I can give is to make sure all rust is gone on the pinchweld (or use a rust treatment like POR15) and it's sealed (painted) before you put the windshield back it. I was inpatient, put mine in after just wiping down the pinchweld and installing the glass. You could see that is was painted with the window in place AND the exposed area started to get surface rust :(. So I get to do it again, the right way this time.

Also take your time and use lots of lube (soap), the gasket will try to crease or tear in the top outside corners.