The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   49 Ford F1 project. What am I getting into? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289272)

melisahe 10-26-2020 07:17 PM

49 Ford F1 project. What am I getting into?

Bought a rusted out F1, good frame and title. Got it down to frame cleaned primed painted. brakes done. Putting it back together, have a rebuilt 6 cyl flathead with a S10 trans mounted to it. It's a four speed T5. Nomenclature may be wrong. It is a four speed and it is mounted to the engine. The trans is much longer than original. Is there a blog on what must be done to make this work. The clutch seems to be reversed and it looks like a new cross member. All help deeply appreciated. Mike

alanwoodieman 10-26-2020 08:49 PM

Re: 49 Ford F1 project. What am I getting into?

1 Attachment(s)
pictures? trans/cross member would be helpful. just finished a 49 F1-rust in cab corners/floor and in front and rear fenders-a lot of rust repair or buy new fenders

flatford8 10-26-2020 09:10 PM

What do you mean by “the clutch seems to be reversed”? ....I learned from Dick (V8 Coopman), that a 4-speed resembling a T-5 is actually a T-4, possibly from a diesel pickup. There’s no big bulge on the front right of the tail shaft where the OD gear would be. You’ll have to check the location of the shifter, if it will work in the cab. Some pics of the cross-member and the clutch would be good......Mark

Clem Clement 10-27-2020 03:03 AM

Does Van Pelt know later trannys?

Mart 10-27-2020 04:54 AM

If the trans is a 4 speed version of the T5 wouldn't it be worth swapping in a 5 speed version?

You will have to rephrase your comment re the clutch being reversed. We don't know what you mean or are asking.

Most transmission swaps require a custom driveshaft. This often requires cutting and welding. Normally there are places set up to do this work.

Mart.

melisahe 10-27-2020 08:31 AM

clutch reversed-the clutch does not disengage when petal is pushed in. The reverse happens, to get the clutch to disengage (if hooked up) I would have to pull the petal out. Are there any links to what is involved? I purchased this as an assembly already together over a year ago and it may be five speed.

Tim Ayers 10-27-2020 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melisahe (Post 1945718)
clutch reversed-the clutch does not disengage when petal is pushed in. The reverse happens, to get the clutch to disengage (if hooked up) I would have to pull the petal out. Are there any links to what is involved? I purchased this as an assembly already together over a year ago and it may be five speed.

If that is the case, I would go over everything for it seems like someone didn't know what they were doing.

JSeery 10-27-2020 10:14 AM

Think some photos here might help straighten out what you have and how it is setup.

GB SISSON 10-27-2020 10:44 AM

Look into a wilwood 'pull type' slave cylinder. I just installed one on a diesel conversion and it solved a lot of problems.

FortyNiner 10-27-2020 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Ayers (Post 1945725)
If that is the case, I would go over everything for it seems like someone didn't know what they were doing.

Yup. Remove engine and trans. If the clutch plate is facing the wrong way it could cause the problem described. Checking the motor mounts and drive shaft fit would be wise.

Bob C 10-27-2020 10:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The clutch should work the same as with the original trans.

tubman 10-27-2020 11:52 AM

After the clutch, I wouldn't trust a thing that was done so far.

Time to start from scratch.