The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Chassis painting (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=288869)

doa44green 10-18-2020 08:15 PM

Chassis painting

Does anyone out there know if the chassis parts were painted before assembly individually or, for example, was the rear axle assembly painted after assemble?
Thank you in advance for your input!!

Gary Karr 10-18-2020 09:09 PM

Re: Chassis painting

Some were painted before assembly and some, such as the rear end, were painted after assembly. We're talking many different components with many different finishes on the chassis.

Bob Bidonde 10-20-2020 10:09 AM

Painting was done to all painted parts before installing them onto the frame.

Harpkatt 10-20-2020 08:15 PM

How do you guys know this stuff!!??

aford193031 10-20-2020 09:59 PM

Was the frame dipped or sprayed?

RonC 10-20-2020 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harpkatt (Post 1943601)

https://www.mafca.com/cart/index.php?productID=129

BRENT in 10-uh-C 10-21-2020 10:11 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Harpkatt (Post 1943601)

For me, I have spent nearly a lifetime of studying this. The Corvette and the Ford Model-A are the two most documented vintage vehicles ever produced. When the original factory prints, along with engineering notes and foreman's logs are studied, much of this is documented there. To make life easier for hobbyists, the national Model-A clubs have printed literature that offers this information to the restorer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aford193031 (Post 1943622)
Was the frame dipped or sprayed?

It was sprayed with a bituminous asphaltum-based coating. As it was handled, the soft thin tar-like coating was often scratched so Ford authorized those scratches and bare areas where riveting was done to be spot painted with Pyroxilyn during assemblage.

Purdy Swoft 10-21-2020 11:33 AM

I use gloss black Rustoleum enamel . While its not necessary , I add hardener for appearance and durability .

jimalabam 10-21-2020 03:03 PM

Right On Terry...

McMimmcs 10-21-2020 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doa44green (Post 1942933)
Does anyone out there know if the chassis parts were painted before assembly individually or, for example, was the rear axle assembly painted after assemble?
Thank you in advance for your input!!

With all due respect what will you do with this information ?

PotvinV8 10-22-2020 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMimmcs (Post 1943838)
With all do respect what will you do with this information ?

I imagine it's similar to asking "shall I assemble my rearend and then paint it or paint the parts individually and then assemble?"

Makes a big difference in my mind as one would result in the entire rearend being painted black and the second what we would call "detailed" with the painted components black and the hardware, etc. a different finish.

Just a thought.

Ruth 10-22-2020 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMimmcs (Post 1943838)
With all due respect what will you do with this information ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by PotvinV8 (Post 1944006)
I imagine it's similar to asking "shall I assemble my rearend and then paint it or paint the parts individually and then assemble?"

Makes a big difference in my mind as one would result in the entire rearend being painted black and the second what we would call "detailed" with the painted components black and the hardware, etc. a different finish.

Just a thought.

I can also imagine it would make a HUGE difference if he was building a "Points" car.

BRENT in 10-uh-C 10-22-2020 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PotvinV8 (Post 1944006)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruth (Post 1944104)
I can also imagine it would make a HUGE difference if he was building a "Points" car.

I think it often falls in alignment with C.S, Lewis' quote about doing the right thing when no one is looking. :D :eek: ;)

Actually, I think it really boils down to what is happening to the hobby as a whole. Somewhere along the way, the mindset has changed from 'Restoring' (returning something exactly as it was in a previous timeframe) to a mindset of 'It is my car and I will do it however I want.'. It is never wrong to do the right thing, ...and generally it is considered 'right' when all of the bolts are reinstalled, when the paint colors are authentic, and .... :rolleyes: