The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Tillotson versus Zenith carburetor (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265638)

Werner 06-29-2019 06:45 PM

Tillotson versus Zenith carburetor

Hi, is it a big difference between Zenith and Tillotson carburetor at the ride / setting? My car may need a replacement carburetor. On Ebay, the Tillotson are noticeably cheaper than Zenith offered. It even reads that Tillotson should be better.

How are the practical experiences please? Very thanks in advance!

chrs1961815 06-29-2019 10:11 PM

Re: Tillotson versus Zenith carburetor

This has been covered many times and many have varying opinions on them. Some people don't like Zeniths, and others only run Zeniths and think that the others are junk. Do your homework and decode what you think is best for your car and engine.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...ight=Tillotson

jhowes 06-30-2019 07:36 AM

Don't be afraid to look into the Marvel's. I have all three and for cruising I prefer the Marvel. It seems to have more zip and the mileage is good. Jack

leo 06-30-2019 07:58 AM

This is purely an assumption on my part. I believe the Tillotson or Marvel probably are better designed carburetors because they proceeded the Zenith, making improvements to correct prior deficiencies. Having said that if you are a purist nothing but the Zenith will do.....

Patrick L. 06-30-2019 08:03 AM

All 3 are good carburetors when set up correctly. Why not just clean and set up your Zenith ? As far as your question though, the Tillotson likes more fuel/GAV

Werner 06-30-2019 08:33 AM

Hallo, I have the problem that my Roadster is drinking too much. I opened the Zenith-2 at least 10 times and put the float higher or lower. Set the level with gauge tube. Have changed all the jets against the set of Snyder. Then the nozzles built by David Renner. The GAV valve fitted. All holes cleaned with drilling cabel. All parts with ultrasonic and dish tabs.
The idling air nozzle is 3/4 open, the GAV <1/8 open.

For 100 km I use 20 liters. That's 12-13 miles per gallon.

Ignition perfect with stroboscope, new spark plugs iridium, compression 4 bar, oil consumption 1/2 quart / 500 ml.

Without airfilter, the car runs a little faster (unimportant) but even more rough.

Therefore, I would like to stop experimenting and replacing nozzles, but perhaps try a complete different carburetor.

Jim Baskin III Pa. 06-30-2019 11:56 AM

I have run both Tilly and Zenith carbs.,putting 1000's of miles on each from climbing mountains to 4 lane highways. And to date a Zenith carb. restored with Renner's Corner flow tested jets is the best one of all.

Just got back about an hour ago for a 3 day 331 mile trip in the Pa mountains and the car ran flawlessly with the Zenith carb. I have a 30 Tudor and got 21 miles per gallon.

1930artdeco 06-30-2019 01:03 PM

I am assuming that your engine is like our engines and not like the British engines. But 12 or so mpg is really low. My zenith on my rebuild let’s me cruise between 50-55 and I am guessing I get around 20 mpg. I am running Renners jets inside and they is all- no air filter as that will cause your mileage to go down. However, I love my Marvel for its power and mpg.

Mike

john charlton 06-30-2019 01:42 PM

I decided to experiment to see which carburetor would give the best economy and performance . Over the years I have collected many . The Marvel ran OK about the same as the Zenith but with a Tillotson it runs the best .More power and better gas mileage . I tried 4 different Zenith and several Tillotsons . All these were clean and correct float height . It just seems my P/U loves Tilly best !!! . At swap meets Tillotsons are plentifull and very cheap normally in the $5 $10 nobody seems to want them but I think they are a very good unit certainly equal if not better than the Zenith . One good point is that they do not stall out on heavy braking as the Zenith sometimes does . On idle they they are not as smooth and wont "tick off" like a Zenith can but that does not bother me .

John in a hot summers evening Suffolk County England .

Mike V. Florida 06-30-2019 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Werner (Post 1772667)
Hi, is it a big difference between Zenith and Tillotson carburetor at the ride / setting?

No, as for price most want what Ford used so demand is higher.

eagle 07-01-2019 04:51 PM

The saying is: Zenith for the show car Tilly for the Go car. That being said, I've got a Zenith on mine, just because thats what was on it when I got it and its never needed anything as far as service, runs great. I have a Marvel cleaned and rebuilt to put on if I ever need it. Tilly sitting around too somewhere.

Dick M 07-01-2019 05:08 PM

I have run all three carbs. The Zenith is a good carb and runs well. I have it under my seat as a backup carb. However, I now have a Marvel Shembeler on my A. I like it the best. I think it gives you more power at higher speeds. They only thing I would say that is critical of the Marvel is you can never give it any throttle when starting either a cold or hot engine. I found that if you just pull the choke and immediately drop it it will always start. Other wise, you can flood the engine.

If you are interested in a Marvel, there is a fellow in Texarkana, TX that does nothing but sell rebuilt Marvels. He rebuilds them and is the Marvel guru. His name is JR Bullock and his telephone number is 903-748-8229. He charges a flat $200 and ships free in the US. He is also listed on Ebay.

Viel Gluckness!! = (Good Luck)

xmarine 07-02-2019 09:19 AM

I second JR Bullock.He also rebuilds tillys.A real nice guy

Neil Mylar LakewoodCA 07-02-2019 12:22 PM

Does anyone have any experience with the Simmons carb?
How does it compare?
Does anyone rebuild them?
I have one, somewhere, but have never run it.

Peyton 07-02-2019 03:27 PM

Marvel, Tillotson, and Zenith all seem to be good carburetors from my experiences with them. It's really hard to say which is best.

I remember getting good gas mileage from my Tillotsons. A little more power with the Marvels. But, I'll give the edge to Zenith for overall smooth performance.