The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Brake light stays on when park brake is engaged (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=284520)

mill48 07-24-2020 05:41 PM

Brake light stays on when park brake is engaged

Has anyone in this forum ever have a brake light stay on when the park brake is engaged? This is happening with my 1928 A Tudor. Does anyone have an idea of what the problem could be and know of a possible fix? I'm experiencing battery drain from the situation.

Melvin Miller

aermotor 07-24-2020 06:42 PM

Re: Brake light stays on when park brake is engaged

Quote:

Originally Posted by mill48 (Post 1912666)
Has anyone in this forum ever have a brake light stay on when the park brake is engaged? Melvin Miller

Was it on before the park brake was set? As I remember the park brake has nothing to do with the brake light.

John

Patrick L. 07-24-2020 06:52 PM

If your car has the transmission mounted brake switch and the parking brake lever is on the right side [ also transmission mounted] then I would think that the brake hand lever is somehow getting tangled up with the switch and turning it on. A removal of the floor should show the problem. It may need an 'adjustment' of either linkage.

chrs1961815 07-24-2020 06:59 PM

That was the way mine was set up on my early 28 car. I do not know if it is supposed to be like that as it is pulling all the brake rods just like when you put your foot on the pedal.

mill48 07-24-2020 07:43 PM

It is not on before I put the park brake on.

Pat/Ohio 07-25-2020 08:53 AM

I had the same problem on my '32 5W. After adjusting the brake pedal rod or the emergency brake rod the problem went away. Good luck, Pat

Gary Karr 07-25-2020 11:56 AM

If your car is an early '28 and has the brake lever on the left by the driver's kick panel, you most likely still have the early brake set up that, when the lever is pulled, it will set all four wheels and will take the spring pressure off of the rod to the pedal making it free to fall forward and actuate the brake light switch. If I set my brakes with the lever, I always pull my pedal back with my foot before getting out of the car. A simple fix for you would be to install an auxiliary spring to the brake pedal to return it when the brake lever is applied.

jg61hawk 07-25-2020 06:21 PM

Pulling that lever hard puts a lot of stress on a lot of things. My car increases in idle very slightly!