The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Pressure plate adjustment (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=284350)

stewgee 07-20-2020 07:16 PM

Pressure plate adjustment

Looking for a little advice on how to adjust the fingers of the pressure plate in the car. Clutch and pressure plate are new. Well almost new. I thought I adjusted the pp fingers when I installed it but apparently I didn't. Instead of the proper 5/8" per Les Andrew's mine are around 3/8". Obviously they need to be adjusted . Just not sure how to do it.

ryanheacox 07-20-2020 07:26 PM

Re: Pressure plate adjustment

I made that mistake as well. Not horrible to adjust in the car just slow going. I made up a tool to gauge and set the finger depth to 11/16". I managed to get each finger adjusted to +/-0.004" which is probably as good as can be with the transmission installed. In my case it did solve my clutch chatter.

I'll try to grab a picture of my tool tomorrow. It's very ugly but functional.

stewgee 07-20-2020 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanheacox (Post 1911497)
I made that mistake as well. Not horrible to adjust in the car just slow going. I made up a tool to gauge and set the finger depth to 11/16". I managed to get each finger adjusted to +/-0.004" which is probably as good as can be with the transmission installed. In my case it did solve my clutch chatter.

I'll try to grab a picture of my tool tomorrow. It's very ugly but functional.

Thanks I appreciate it

Patrick L. 07-20-2020 07:49 PM

Is there a problem ?
Can the free-play be set ?
Where does the clutch engage ?

stewgee 07-20-2020 09:00 PM

Patrick L there is a problem or I wouldn't be asking for help. I cannot get the clutch to engage at the 1 inch spec. My inquiry is for help with adjusting the pressure plate fingers with it installed in the car

Tom Endy 07-20-2020 09:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attached article is how it can be done. I prefer to make the adjustment with the flywheel laying on a work bench. A second choice is with the flywheel attached to the engine and with the transmission removed. A friend has successfully made the adjustment through the bell housing window with the transmission attached, but I would never attempt it.

Tom Endy

Patrick L. 07-21-2020 05:27 AM

The pedal free-play should be about 1.5", but, that is not where the clutch should engage/disengage. That should happen when the pedal is about 3-5" from the floorboard. [ about half way from floor and end of free-play position, middle of pedal movement under pressure plate spring tension]

Changing the height of the pressure plate fingers is best done on the work bench.

Getting all the fingers to touch at the same time while the clutch is in the vehicle isn't too hard, but, changing the setting of all the finger heights is. To do that I take it out and set it on the bench.

stewgee 07-21-2020 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick L. (Post 1911582)
The pedal free-play should be about 1.5", but, that is not where the clutch should engage/disengage. That should happen when the pedal is about 3-5" from the floorboard. [ about half way from floor and end of free-play position, middle of pedal movement under pressure plate spring tension]

Changing the height of the pressure plate fingers is best done on the work bench.

Getting all the fingers to touch at the same time while the clutch is in the vehicle isn't too hard, but, changing the setting of all the finger heights is. To do that I take it out and set it on the bench.

Got it....finally managed to adjust it like you say. Thanks

ryanheacox 07-23-2020 08:34 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Seems I'm a bit late but this is the tool I made up to adjust the fingers through the inspection cover. My fingers were all too high like yours and they were all varied +/-1/16". The surface with the writing on it goes against the pressure plate and the finger contacts the pressure plate finger. I adjusted each so that a .002 feeler gauge would just drag. Smoothed my clutch right out. I would have made the part that goes against the pressure plate longer but that was the length that would fit through the inspection cover.

katy 07-23-2020 09:42 AM

Ryan, how about some measurements of your gauge?

ryanheacox 07-23-2020 11:01 AM

Sure thing, I can get some measurements this afternoon.

stewgee 07-24-2020 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanheacox (Post 1912281)
Sure thing, I can get some measurements this afternoon.

If the clutch fingers aer too close what happens? Thanks for sharing your gage Ryan. Interesting

Patrick L. 07-24-2020 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stewgee (Post 1912563)
If the clutch fingers aer too close what happens? Thanks for sharing your gage Ryan. Interesting

The height of the fingers determines where engagement/disengagement takes place.

stewgee 07-24-2020 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick L. (Post 1912591)
The height of the fingers determines where engagement/disengagement takes place.

Bear with me here Patrick. I'm a newbie on the A. I've adjusted the linkage to where the clutch engages at about half way. Trans shifts fine. However the fingers are still at about 3/8 inch gap from the disc not 5/8 as recommended. Guess I'm trying to tie the 2 together to make sense

Patrick L. 07-25-2020 05:39 AM

How much free-play do you have ?
How much travel in the pedal before the clutch engages ?

If you have about 1.5" free-play, and, the clutch engages about 3-5" from the floorboard, and, the transmitter shifts good, then you're good.

stewgee 07-26-2020 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick L. (Post 1912791)
How much free-play do you have ?
How much travel in the pedal before the clutch engages ?

If you have about 1.5" free-play, and, the clutch engages about 3-5" from the floorboard, and, the transmitter shifts good, then you're good.

Got it and thanks for the help