The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Engine Stand (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=301804)

Stretch Cab 07-29-2021 03:52 PM

Engine Stand

2 Attachment(s)
Some years ago I picked up the engine stand shown in the pictures from a gentleman near Orlando, Fl. Life got in the way and I never got around to using it to hold one of my "A" motors.

Does anybody else have one of these stands and if you are using it, could you post a picture of the orientation of the motor?

Also, has anyone adapted this stand for a V8?

Thanks,
John

todd j 07-29-2021 04:01 PM

Re: Engine Stand

From what I can tell you are on the right path in the first picture. The bell housing spacer would bolt directly to those 2 up rights WITHOUT the frame motor mount. The "V" shaped bars coming up from the bottom rails on opposite end would be for the front motor mount "Y" yoke. The 2 uprights in front of motor would be to mount the radiator so you can run engine on the stand.

Anyone see it different????

Russ/40 07-29-2021 05:18 PM

They are both wrong. The angle pieces coming up to join, are for the front motor mount.
The flywheel housing is backwards. The small hole in the housing is against the block.

Bob C 07-29-2021 05:22 PM

Also I think you need to take the motor mounts off the flywheel housing.

Stretch Cab 07-30-2021 06:51 PM

Thank you very much. I will get it hooked up properly soon.

katy 07-31-2021 12:37 PM

How about a picture(s) at that time.

hardtimes 07-31-2021 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stretch Cab (Post 2041179)
Thank you very much. I will get it hooked up properly soon.

I have an engine holder almost identical to the one pictured. I also have one similar , but made of wood.
Their short coming is that , if the block has an oil pan, this type engine holder…. Is TOO low to the ground for use of a pan.
That is not a good thing.
I store bare blks, if I want to use them at all. Another short coming…. Is that the the engine cannot be rotated for needed work.
IMO, the engine attachment sold , for attachment to side of blk AND to most any engine stand… is money well spent !
Your choice your money.

jquinlan 07-31-2021 06:24 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here's an engine stand I have which is similar to yours but a slightly different design in the front. Mine was custom welded and I can start the engine on the stand. I still need to finish installing the radiator and generator when I get some more time. Being so darned heavy it's a bear moving it around in the garage.

Gene F 08-01-2021 04:15 PM

Jim, I was thinking about the same thing. Really only a cart with four points welded on to attach to. Always nicer to be able to start the thing for a few minutes, because having options is always a nice thing. Once it's in there a bracket or two here and there, and your kinda ready to go.

I bought a used engine, and I want to hydro-test it, and then probably start it up, and see what I have.