The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   We want our "A" (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=292741)

Blown Gasket 01-09-2021 06:07 PM

We want our "A"

Another day gone by and no new Model A. The owner who sold me the A will not communicate with me. He owns a Toyota dealership and has his staff do all the dealings. Even the original ad was created by his staff and was just like a Toyota ad. The only thing I had to go by was 5 photos but my offer (I think) was so low even if it had no engine I did well. I paid for it but yet have not got a bill of sale and registration. We did a BOS via email and I signed it and sent it back and the seller has not signed it. The general manager promised to have it signed and sent to me and that was the last I heard from him. 5 other staff members have worked on this and they all just fade away. The registration was all screwed up and I could see that on the BOS. I asked for it to be corrected and signed over to me as I did not want to have to bond the title. One little email from the manager, "we are working on it". It was supposed to be picked today the 9th but the weather canceled it until Monday. It is not unusual for us to buy things sight unseen as we have done this with 3 properties and come out ok. Maybe the car has a flat head or a hemi in it or maybe we just purchased 5 photos, we won't know until we open the hood. BTW, the car is in Scottsboro, AL if anyone lives there.

Mulletwagon 01-09-2021 07:39 PM

Re: We want our "A"

Shields up !! Might be worth the ride to confim VIN matches title.

McMimmcs 01-09-2021 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mulletwagon (Post 1972279)
Shields up !! Might be worth the ride to confim VIN matches title.

This is indeed good advice. Go in person and have a look.

Blown Gasket 01-09-2021 08:48 PM

It is impossible to go in person as it is a 7 hour drive. I have COPD and I would have to carry 20 bottles of oxygen plus my in house concentrator for an overnight stay. The car will be here because the dealer would not risk breaking the law, they are just stupid, they deal with new not old cars. The BOS had a VIN number DMV13893 and listed as a model T. It is obvious he had a staff person register it when he got it. I had one of his service people get the engine serial for me then emailed the general manager to fix it there by using the engine serial, (A281671) and have it put on the BOS and registration by DMV there. This should have been done by Fri so it can ship Monday but no one has said a word. The one who told me it will ship Monday is a young sales girl who is clueless.

McMimmcs 01-09-2021 09:22 PM

Did you pay a deposit or pay in full?

Blown Gasket 01-09-2021 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMimmcs (Post 1972315)
Did you pay a deposit or pay in full?

Paid in full including shipping. We have all the paperwork from the bank wiring so we are not worried he scammed us, they just don't deal in model A's.

McMimmcs 01-09-2021 10:08 PM

you may be right but it’s kind of like working in a pet store. Whether you sell a poodle or a terrier it’s the same procedure. Why is procedure for a Toyota and Ford different?

Jack Shaft 01-09-2021 10:52 PM

Blown Gasket, from the seat operated temperature gauge to this self inflicted imbroglio I can only hope you stick around and post up your travels..

cpf240 01-10-2021 03:45 AM

Perhaps see if the dealer has a Facebook page. Posting there might get their attention.

Blown Gasket 01-10-2021 07:47 AM

I got an email from the general manager saying everything I have requested is being taken care of. So it looks like I will have a good title and the car will be shipped in an enclosed truck hopefully tomorrow. It is still a mystery if the car even runs as it has been in storage for two years. It would be nice to think the mechanics there got it running. However if it is not running it means towing it up my 800-foot driveway to my garage. The driveway is about 20 degrees and I would guess the bumper would be ok to attach a strap to or would the axle be better?

ronn 01-10-2021 07:50 AM

you do realize 1/2 of the dmvs in this country arent open or have screwed up schedules?

its called patience.

Blown Gasket 01-10-2021 07:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have to post the original ad for the A, as you can see some staff member did it and the pricing is a joke.

Fhane 01-10-2021 08:44 AM

Interesting VIN number

WHN 01-10-2021 09:14 AM

I have only one comment.

BUY BEWARE!

New car, used car, or antique car. You have to do your homework.

Blown Gasket 01-10-2021 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WHN (Post 1972419)
I have only one comment.

BUY BEWARE!

New car, used car, or antique car. You have to do your homework.

Over the past 30 years my wife and I have purchased 3 properties several cars, 2 boats and more sight unseen. All have been winners and where possible we did our homework. Our last purchase was where we live now, a 5-acre farm bought in NC while we were in Florida, and we never saw it until after we closed.

Blown Gasket 01-10-2021 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Shaft (Post 1972353)
Blown Gasket, from the seat operated temperature gauge to this self inflicted imbroglio I can only hope you stick around and post up your travels..

Confused, yes but it is slowly unfolding, we think we struck it rich with this one.

McMimmcs 01-10-2021 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blown Gasket (Post 1972433)
Over the past 30 years my wife and I have purchased 3 properties several cars, 2 boats and more sight unseen. All have been winners and where possible we did our homework. Our last purchase was where we live now, a 5-acre farm bought in NC while we were in Florida, and we never saw it until after we closed.

My advice would be stop while you are ahead ! Don’t press your luck !

700rpm 01-10-2021 10:43 AM

If you tow it by the bumper, attach the tow ropes to the bumper brackets, not the bumper bars, to prevent bending the bars. If you tow it by the axle, attach the tow ropes to where the spring perches are, not the axle alone, to prevent bending the axle.

goodcar 01-10-2021 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 700rpm (Post 1972452)
If you tow it by the bumper, attach the tow ropes to the bumper brackets, not the bumper bars, to prevent bending the bars. If you tow it by the axle, attach the tow ropes to where the spring perches are, not the axle alone, to prevent bending the axle.

u-haul has a very nice auto trailer.

1crosscut 01-10-2021 11:18 AM

Dang that is a steep driveway. Once you get it running make sure the brakes are good for the trip out of the driveway!