The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Vinegar in the block (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148731)

mfagan 09-04-2014 02:04 PM

Vinegar in the block

I know that the use of vinegar had been discussed several
times to de rust the water passages in a flathead.

How much vinegar should be used, and what do you use to
neutralize when done?

Torchie 09-04-2014 02:10 PM

Re: Vinegar in the block

Quote:

Originally Posted by mfagan (Post 940092)
I know that the use of vinegar had been discussed several
times to de rust the water passages in a flathead.

How much vinegar should be used, and what do you use to
neutralize when done?

Straight white vinegar. Just Flush with water. Or if your really concerned. Water with baking soda dissolved in it. But most use water only.
Vinegar is a very mild acid and it really doesn't need to be neutralized. Just kind of rinsed off.
There are also posts out there in regards to using certain dishwasher detergents as well. They do the same thing.
Torchie.

36Bill 09-04-2014 03:03 PM

I used straight vinegar for two weeks and then back flushed with lots of water. Runs cool now.

Bill

Old Henry 09-04-2014 03:15 PM

There is better than vinegar which is an acid that, from my tests, neutralizes before it's finished it's job. See this test comparing vinegar to Evapo-Rust: http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123032 which uses a chelation process that doesn't quit till it's done and won't harm metal.

mfagan 09-04-2014 04:42 PM

Thanks to all! Old Henry I like the way you
do things.

Doug-F1 09-04-2014 05:40 PM

I used 2 gal. straight vinegar and topped it off with water for only 24hr. and then back flushed with lots of water and used an air hose to get some action in the water as it was draining. It worked well however I think a few more days would have done a better job.

supereal 09-04-2014 06:02 PM

The acetic acid in vinegar takes a very long time, if ever, to reduce lime deposits in a block. The important thing is not to use anything that will attack the metal in the radiator. Years ago, we used a solution of "washing soda". I don't know if it is still available. Core sand, from the original casting, is usually hiding in he block. A coating of lime no thicker than paint, can reduce cooling efficiency by 40-50%. What is there is probably not going to move. If you use demineralized or distilled water, you won't add to the problem.

FrankWest 09-04-2014 06:35 PM

Don't leave the vineger in too long or the neighbors will begin calling you
"Little Douche Coupe" Rather than "Little Duce Coupe"

alanwoodieman 09-04-2014 08:10 PM

drain all water out, remove thermostat, fill with vineger and drive the car, usually takes a couple of days the heat/cool cycle seems to really help. did a 41 x-car and had to do it twice to get the crud out--runs cool now. flush with plenty of water-back flushing even helps more but tends to make a mees of the back flush operator

JM 35 Sedan 09-04-2014 08:56 PM

I used straight white vinegar in my 35 last year. I left it in maybe a week (probably should have been longer) and that brought out all kinds of crud. Ran some baking soda in water for a couple days and drained that before going back to 50/50 antifreeze and water. May try some of that Evapo-Rust that Old Henry suggests the next time it needs cleaning..

OhioRick 09-05-2014 06:53 AM

100% vinegar for a week many times running the car everyday. Heated vinegar works better. I continually drained it and installed new until it was crystal clear.
Smelled like French fries.

hotrodderhaag 09-05-2014 09:15 AM

one caution with vinegar.. if you decide to run it.. i took off the radiator hoses and i cut squares of stainless steel screen and place it over all radiator connections then slid the the hoses back on and clamped it tight.. this keeps the chunks of rust from plugging up a good radiator.. it happens faster than you think. there is no shop that can get it out of the cores if it happens.... ask me how i now this :/