The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   hoky fixs (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=303974)

old ugly 09-17-2021 06:26 PM

hoky fixs

what sort of hoky repairs have you found on your supposedly restored Model A.
ou

old ugly 09-17-2021 06:29 PM

Re: hoky fixs

1 Attachment(s)
ill start.
this is the rt rear service brake rod.
it appears the rod wasn't long enogh so someone made an extension by welding two nuts together.

ou

Ivan in southeast va. 09-17-2021 06:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Not really a repair but I saw this on a guy's rpu. Scary!

copgib 09-17-2021 06:52 PM

I found body panels held on only with bondo no welding.

J Franklin 09-17-2021 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ivan in southeast va. (Post 2057624)
Not really a repair but I saw this on a guy's rpu. Scary!

Almost puts it back to factory.

Synchro909 09-17-2021 07:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I worked for a short time in a car restoration business. Some "fixes" were nothing short of terrifying. There was the guy who replaced the brake rods with 3/16" long thread which has a minor diameter of only 9/64" (3.6 mm) and they are made of rubbish metal.
Buicks from about 1924 are famous for rusting through the block at the bottom of the water jacket. I saw one that had done that and the owner had screwed a galvanised sheet metal patch over it and tried to seal it with something resembling muffler putty. Then there was this con rod. It had broken and had a splint rivetted on to repair with a coach bolt as a big end bolt. Amazing.

Gufshoz 09-17-2021 08:46 PM

When we removed the chicken wire/bondo to replace with welded patch panels, she looked like Swiss cheese.

aermotor 09-17-2021 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synchro909 (Post 2057635)
I worked for a short time in a car restoration business. Some "fixes" were nothing short of terrifying. Then there was this con rod. It had broken and had a splint rivetted on to repair with a coach bolt as a big end bolt. Amazing.

Give the guy a break - you gotta do what you gotta do.

John

McMimmcs 09-17-2021 09:11 PM

Many of the fixes were out of necessity. New parts or food? An easy choice.

Synchro909 09-17-2021 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aermotor (Post 2057681)
Give the guy a break - you gotta do what you gotta do.

John

I'm not criticising the guy who repaired that con rod. The fact that it kept the motor running is remarkable and a real achievement.
No comment on the brake rods!

old ugly 09-17-2021 11:05 PM

the old days of keeping the car going, inventiveness, is different from a supposedly restored car and finding bad stuff.

i was thinking of modern day Hoky

Bob Bidonde 09-18-2021 05:36 AM

Many years ago, the newly rebuilt motor in my 45B Coupe made some horrible noises on its maiden club run. Some moron in the re-builder's shop tied the oil pump up into the block with clothesline. The clothesline disintegrated and clogged the oil screen on the oil pump, so the motor starved for oil.

Bob Bidonde 09-18-2021 05:38 AM

Many years ago, the newly rebuilt motor in my 45B Coupe made some horrible noises on its maiden club run. Some moron in the re-builder's shop tied the oil pump up into the block with clothesline. The clothesline disintegrated and clogged the oil screen on the oil pump, so the motor starved for oil.
Ever since, I take every rebuilt motor apart and inspect it for deficiencies. I have not yet found a perfect rebuilt motor!

nkaminar 09-18-2021 07:45 AM

Rat nest wiring.

I bought a 1929 closed cab pickup years ago that was "restored" but the transmission required rebuilding before driving the car and the doors did not fit correctly. As you know this model used Model T parts in the body, including the doors. Plus, nothing had been greased or lubricated. The wood was not replaced and lots of it was rotten. I think the guy who put it together was not interested in actually driving the car.

700rpm 09-18-2021 11:10 AM

I bought a ‘29 ccpu in 1965 where the previous owner must have had stock in a baling wire company. The doors, tail light, and tail gate were all held on, held together, or held closed with wire. The brake light switch was missing, and the p.o. explained that when he was stopping he would turn on the lights so it would look like the brake light was coming on. But the sheet metal was good and it ran pretty well and I only paid $350 for it. My cousin and I (19 and immortal) cut around all summer in it, as is/was, even taking an 800-mile round trip from Portland, OR to Eureka, CA. Sold it in the same condition at the end of summer for $450, which I used for tuition.

ursus 09-18-2021 02:27 PM

When I bought my coupe it had a nice tight body with little bondo, and not a squeak, even on a rough road. However, the PO was a welder that worked for the Highway Dept. and he used his skills to tack and stitch a number of body panels in places where a fastener should have gone. After assembly, he sprayed on a heavy undercoating of some kind of asphaltic composition over the undersides, effectively glueing it all together.

The result was one tight body although it took a lot of time with a grinder and propane torch to get the fenders off for repairs. I had to be careful with the propane torch and kept an extinguisher close by lest I set the whole car on fire.

fordcragar 09-18-2021 02:33 PM

I had a rattling sound coming from the right rear of my coupe, I pulled the wheel and drum and found the nuts that fastened the backing plate to the housing loose. No washers, because the bolts weren’t long enough.

old ugly 09-18-2021 08:58 PM

i would get so frustrated with my dad, he put a car together, no two bolts were the same. by the time the job of repairing what ever it was you were repairing the whole tool box would be empty beside the car.

J Franklin 09-18-2021 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fordcragar (Post 2057847)
I had a rattling sound coming from the right rear of my coupe, I pulled the wheel and drum and found the nuts that fastened the backing plate to the housing loose. No washers, because the bolts weren’t long enough.

Pre LocTite era fix.

fordcragar 09-18-2021 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Franklin (Post 2057950)
Pre LocTite era fix.

I’m not sure it was a pre Loctite fix, as the bolts weren’t long enough to go all the way through the nuts. So there was no way you put a lock washer in the assembly.