The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Some Progress has been made (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=302975)

jak 08-26-2021 07:12 AM

Some Progress has been made

3 Attachment(s)
Some know that my Son and I have been working on a Slant Window 4 door for about a year. His goal is to drive it to school during his Senior year (which started yesterday). We missed the first day but I think he will be scooting into the parking lot by the end of september. I know his choices are not to everyone's taste but hey he's 17 and paying for a lot of this with his own money . None of the changes he has made are permanent so if he decides to go back stock it will not be that difficult of a project.

Brian SATX 08-26-2021 07:30 AM

Re: Some Progress has been made

Looks like progress is being made. Is that a flat black paint, wrap, or primer?

Bob Bidonde 08-26-2021 07:52 AM

"I know his choices are not to everyone's taste but hey he's 17 and paying for a lot of this with his own money."

I am proud of your son. He is an asset to our hobby. I am also glad he is doing the restoration his way!

Chuck Dempsey 08-26-2021 08:00 AM

Looks great! Keep up the good work. I drove my Tudor to my HS graduation, as did my son.

jak 08-26-2021 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian SATX (Post 2049777)
Looks like progress is being made. Is that a flat black paint, wrap, or primer?

The paint is a Dupont product called Hot Rod Black. It is designed to hide a lot of flaws and to be easy to apply. Neither one of us has any experience painting so this was a learning curve for both of us. We put down a PPG Epoxy primer first and than this product on top.

Jeff/Illinois 08-26-2021 09:50 AM

Car looks great! Nice job!

And good for him wanting to drive a Model A Ford to school! I did that in MY Senior year 50 years ago, and I STILL have the love of Model A's.

He is a very bright and astute individual, good for him!! It's a fun hobby that he will enjoy all thru life.

As an aside, my buddies all ribbed me (in fun) for driving a Model A when they had Mustangs and Camaros, Impala SS's and Galaxie XL's, but their cars are all LONG gone now and the Model A still lives.

Y-Blockhead 08-26-2021 09:50 AM

:p :p

Y-Blockhead 08-26-2021 09:51 AM

Lookin' good Jak and son... I bet it helps to have an excellent parts vendor close by!! :p :p

Big hammer 08-26-2021 10:02 AM

Looking good, burn some midnight oil so he can drive it to school ! He's way is ok, at least it doesn't have a Chevy V-8 lol

katy 08-26-2021 10:10 AM

What's w/the other 4 door?

ModelAMike1930 08-26-2021 10:30 AM

Glad to see a Father Son project. I wish I would have been able to do a project with my son's. I was too busy working 2 jobs to support them.

jb-ob 08-26-2021 10:37 AM

Is that a green belt molding or tape (bad word in my business) ??

jb

Ruth 08-26-2021 10:54 AM

Looks good. Interesting radiator cap, do you have a close up?

jak 08-26-2021 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead (Post 2049811)
Lookin' good Jak and son... I bet it helps to have an excellent parts vendor close by!! :p :p

what really helps is when the assembly is being done in the parts vendor's warehouse. Hey Alex i need part number xxx go get one. Truly he has an advantage on that aspect:)

jak 08-26-2021 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katy (Post 2049828)
What's w/the other 4 door?

the other 4Door is my 1930 Briggs that Debbie & I have owned for about 20 years.

jak 08-26-2021 11:07 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jb-ob (Post 2049846)
Is that a green belt molding or tape (bad word in my business) ??

jb

so the green is a pin strip that we painted on. When the body was in primer we painted the area's we wanted the pin strip to be green. Than used pin stripping tape to cover the green when we painted the black. While the black was still tacky we pulled the tape off and presto a pin strip appeared. Is that the correct way to do it i don't know but it turned out good for us. Although Mom had to put the tape down as neither Alex and i could do it so well. Truely a family project now.

jak 08-26-2021 11:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruth (Post 2049854)
Looks good. Interesting radiator cap, do you have a close up?

Alex saw a hood ornament in a movie he watched, and said that's a unique hood ornament I wonder what i t would look like on my Model A. So his sister talked to a friend who has a small machine shop about this and he said give me a picture and i'll make one. So he made it Molly Assembled it and it all fits onto an old Motor Meter Cap we had at the shop.

Fhane 08-26-2021 11:45 AM

Looks good to me. Good father/son project. Memories neither one will never forget.

jb-ob 08-26-2021 03:00 PM

Way Cool ! Now we know who the talent is there........

CountrySquire55 08-29-2021 07:23 AM

Jeff and Alex, the car looks great! Alex will be driving it to school in no time!