The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Keeping the windows up (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=203989)

Licensed to kill 09-05-2016 10:04 AM

Keeping the windows up

Im find it rather annoying that the windows creep down when driving. I oriented the handle so it's at about 4 o'clock when the windows are up so the weight of the handle has to be overcome for the window to creep down. Might have helped a LITTLE but not really. I Have to get new windows cut and was considering getting them 1/8" wider to perhaps give them more drag. Any thoughts??.

wrndln 09-05-2016 10:34 AM

Re: Keeping the windows up

You might have a weak or broken spring on the window regulator. You might try to replace the regulator (or spring) and see if that helps.
Rusty Nelson

Licensed to kill 09-05-2016 11:02 AM

Some of the regulators are new and the problem exists in all four windows in the '29 Tudor and both windows in the '31 pick-up.

Glenn C. 09-05-2016 11:05 AM

You might end up with more problems than you anticipated, when you get new glass cut. The original glass thickness is thicker than the new glass. From what I understand, the original was 9mm, where the new glass is 8mm. Along with that problem, you will need to replace your window felts, and probably install some extra shimming to tighten up on the side of the glass. One of the suppliers several years ago sold precut window glass, that claimed it was correct for the Model A. Possibly 12 years ago.
Don't make them too tight, as you may also find that the window cranks won't stand up to the extra strain, as a lot of them are only pot metal.

Y-Blockhead 09-05-2016 11:10 AM

Sounds to me that the regulator springs are not 'wound' tight enough. It's strange that all of your windows have the same issue...

Licensed to kill 09-05-2016 11:13 AM

Yes, the thickness of the glass is an issue. None of glass is original and all of the felts are new. I never consider the spring winding. I wonder if they can be wound one more turn???

Tom Wesenberg 09-05-2016 12:38 PM

The regulator has a locking spring to prevent the handle from turning until the handle is turned by hand. It does seem odd that all 4 would be bad at the same time though.

Kevin in NJ 09-05-2016 01:22 PM

Which body? Straight window or slant?

Original or repro?

The square part that the handle is put on also has a clever brake system. There is a spring that is wound up and pressure from the handle causes it to twist and get smaller so the handle will turn. The glass putting back pressure on the spring causes it to expand and stop the glass from falling down. Not sure about the straight window types, but the slants are notorious for breaking.

So you have a couple of things to look at with the helper springs and the brake springs.

BILL WILLIAMSON 09-05-2016 01:39 PM

Chief used to fill a Bull Durham Tobacco sack with gravel & hang them on the window winder goody, to keep them closed !
Also, on a'35 International P.U, he "crafted" a stick, to hold it in HIGH gear! He had a lots of "tricks"!
Chiefs' Son

C26Pinelake 09-05-2016 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON (Post 1349673)
Chief used to fill a Bull Durham Tobacco sack with gravel & hang them on the window winder goody, to keep them closed !
Also, on a'35 International P.U, he "crafted" a stick, to hold it in HIGH gear! He had a lots of "tricks"!
Chiefs' Son

Sounds like Chief was a very ingenious person! Wayne

mccsix 09-05-2016 03:59 PM

My farmer fix was small wood wedges wrapped in black cloth tape push in between glass and molding.

C26Pinelake 09-05-2016 09:33 PM

They actually sold small rubber, ribbed wedges to stop the window from descending and they were also used to stop rattles. Wayne

Mike V. Florida 09-06-2016 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin in NJ (Post 1349668)
Original or repro?

You know my vote! :D

Licensed to kill 09-06-2016 09:13 AM

Thanks for all the replies. There is certainly a few things that i can check out.