The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Battery/Starter Advice Needed (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=293487)

pjdeb 01-24-2021 06:30 PM

Battery/Starter Advice Needed

I have been focusing my headlights. So the battery was drawn down. Battery is two years old. When starting the A, the starter whirls, but does not engage.

Recharged the battery. Read 6.2 volts. Starter whirls and still does not engage. Crank started and went for half hour ride. Back in the garage. No go.

Before pulling the starter to look at solinoid or bendix, thought I would ask for some advice. I am not an electrical engineer. Could it be that battery voltage is OK, but it is not delivering enough cranking amperage?

Grounds are tight and clean.

Thanks

Gary WA 01-24-2021 06:48 PM

Re: Battery/Starter Advice Needed

Could be even tho battery says 6.2 V, May not be, I went thru three batteries in a week with the same results. Says good but not. Changed to NAPA battery- All is good. Take it to a reliable supplier and they can put a load test on it,right after you think it may be charged.

Jacksonlll 01-24-2021 06:50 PM

Broken bendix spring. No big deal. Easy fix.

Oldgearz 01-24-2021 06:57 PM

Agree. Sounds like bad Bendix.

Ivan in southeast va. 01-24-2021 07:00 PM

You will have to remove starter. Easy fix.

JBill 01-25-2021 10:44 AM

If it does turn out to be the bendix, make sure you get any debris (like a broken bolt, e.g.) out of the flywheel housing--if there is any debris. Might not be. Lots of advice on this board on how to get stuff out of there. Magnets, gobs of grease, etc.

pjdeb 01-25-2021 08:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, it has been a learning experience, anyway. Removed the starter. Expected to find broken bendix spring. Looks good. Am I missing something in the attached picture?

Back on the idea that although battery voltage tests OK, battery is weak.

Starter whirs but does not engage.

Thoughts?

Aarongriffey 01-25-2021 09:07 PM

When you run the drive gear in as close to the starter as possible can you turn the starter with the drive gear?

[email protected] 01-25-2021 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjdeb (Post 1978055)
Well, it has been a learning experience, anyway. Removed the starter. Expected to find broken bendix spring. Looks good. Am I missing something in the attached picture?

Back on the idea that although battery voltage tests OK, battery is weak.

Starter whirs but does not engage.

Thoughts?

Where is the second bolt holding the bending spring?

J Franklin 01-25-2021 09:37 PM

Yes, a broken or missing bolt. Don't buy a new battery until the old one won't work any longer.

pjdeb 01-25-2021 10:52 PM

Oh yes! Bolt broken off. Now I have to find it. Looks like I have to go fishin'.

Mister Moose 01-25-2021 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjdeb (Post 1977651)
I have been focusing my headlights. So the battery was drawn down. Battery is two years old. When starting the A, the starter whirls, but does not engage.

more info needed.

Does the whirring stop, ie battery cant crank once bendix has engaged flywheel?

Does whirring continue, bendix not engaging?

Is whirring too slow, and not spinning fast enough to send bendix out?

You could have a little of both.

On the battery, measuring voltage right after charger disconnect is almost pointless. The battery will have excess surface charge. You need to let the battery rest with no load and measure voltage 24 hrs later. I forget the exact numbers, but 6.2 is not impressive. 6.35 is more like full charge. Little voltage differences matter, another reason specific gravity is a better test.

A very good tester is a specific gravity tester, looks like turkey baster. Not expensive, and gives accurate state of charge and battery health.

With an SG tester, you also can test all 3 cells, all should be close. One low cell indicates sick battery. Careful handling the electrolyte, its a strong acid. wash hands and rinse tester afterward. careful with errant drops.

Load test is good too.

01A 01-26-2021 09:28 PM

Your battery may have a poor ground connection. Try cleaning the battery post connections and especially the ground connection to the frame. That took care of a similar starting issue I had.

Purdy Swoft 01-26-2021 10:24 PM

Oil on the helix of the starter drive will cause the starter to spin , but not engage . .