The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Is "Superior Car Parts, Inc" still in business? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238023)

jrryttr 01-27-2018 12:57 AM

Is "Superior Car Parts, Inc" still in business?

Has anyone had a recent contact with Superior Car Parts, the company that made very nice top irons? They recently moved to Frankfort, Il, having been taken over by new owners, but the communications seem to have trailed off.

mfagan 01-27-2018 10:47 AM

Re: Is "Superior Car Parts, Inc" still in business?

Phone: 708-390-0377
Fax: 765.564.4212
E-mail: [email protected]

jrryttr 01-27-2018 09:01 PM

I have all the latest contact info. They have moved to Frankfort, Il, and are now not responding to current customer's calls. If you look at their website, it is out of date, and the people shown are no longer involved with the company.

mfagan 01-27-2018 10:30 PM

Oh no!

mfagan 01-27-2018 10:31 PM

They bought Girtz, which made my excellent stainless 34 roadster top irons!

Karl Wescott 01-28-2018 07:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
We have not been able to get products from them for over a year, and believe they may no longer be able to produce.

With that in mind I am stepping up to try to reproduce the various top irons. First priority will be the 1932 and 1930-31 Deluxe roadster irons.

The dowel block is investment cast, using a 3D printed mold for the wax. The irons are laser cut, then formed. You can see the photo of the prototypes.

I hope to have the 1932 ones available in powder coated black (Standard), powder coated tan with polished stainless main iron (Deluxe) and polished stainless. Stock height or 2" chop.

I cannot guarantee a time frame, however the stock height one is CLOSE to a fully working prototype, possibly finished ones will be available as early as the Portland Swa(m)p Meet.

uncle buck 01-29-2018 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karl Wescott (Post 1585399)
We have not been able to get products from them for over a year, and believe they may no longer be able to produce.

With that in mind I am stepping up to try to reproduce the various top irons. First priority will be the 1932 and 1930-31 Deluxe roadster irons.

The dowel block is investment cast, using a 3D printed mold for the wax. The irons are laser cut, then formed. You can see the photo of the prototypes.

I hope to have the 1932 ones available in powder coated black (Standard), powder coated tan with polished stainless main iron (Deluxe) and polished stainless. Stock height or 2" chop.

I cannot guarantee a time frame, however the stock height one is CLOSE to a fully working prototype, possibly finished ones will be available as early as the Portland Swa(m)p Meet.

Thats great news Karl.

jrryttr 02-09-2018 01:14 PM

Karl. Good on you! You do nice work, and I have been very happy with the stuff I have gotten from you in the past. As a followup, just this week I spoke to a person that works at an office next to the new address for Superior Car Parts. They said they never see any sign of activity at that location.

aandkt 06-17-2021 09:59 AM

Once again "Thanks for stepping up" Have you gotten to '36 cabriolet yet?

Merc Cruzer 06-17-2021 10:40 AM

FYI: there is a Stainless Steele shortage world wide. What was being made in China is now being made in Mexico. There are current issues with producing the stainless steel in uniform thickness. This has effected the production of appliances, to the point a stainless steel refrigerator is now taking up to a year to get. This may be contributing to the demise of the production of many products.

19Fordy 06-17-2021 10:50 AM

Gosh, Americans had better realize that unless the USA starts manufacturing products at home, our country is doomed. I know that sounds extreme but, the USA can't rely on other countries for it's economic survival.

Thank goodness for patriots like Karl Wescott.

Bored&Stroked 06-17-2021 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 19Fordy (Post 2027431)
Gosh, Americans had better realize that unless the USA starts manufacturing products at home, our country is doomed. I know that sounds extreme but, the USA can't rely on other countries for it's economic survival.

I agree, but part of the issue is that the end-customer has to be willing to pay more for on-shore production. Our labor costs are different and the fact is that most folks buy on PRICE first . . . instead of all other considerations.

As it currently stands, even if one is willing to pay more - there are too few options for on-shore produced products (almost across the board) - as price has been the driver of being competitive (and that is all of our faults!).

uncle buck 06-18-2021 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merc Cruzer (Post 2027429)
FYI: there is a Stainless Steele shortage world wide. What was being made in China is now being made in Mexico. There are current issues with producing the stainless steel in uniform thickness. This has effected the production of appliances, to the point a stainless steel refrigerator is now taking up to a year to get. This may be contributing to the demise of the production of many products.

FYI: This problem with Superior Car Parts started 3-4 years ago, that wasn't an issue back then

aandkt 11-06-2021 04:53 PM

Have you made any parts for 1936 ford cabriolet?

Gene F 11-06-2021 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked (Post 2027471)
I agree, but part of the issue is that the end-customer has to be willing to pay more for on-shore production. Our labor costs are different and the fact is that most folks buy on PRICE first . . . instead of all other considerations.

As it currently stands, even if one is willing to pay more - there are too few options for on-shore produced products (almost across the board) - as price has been the driver of being competitive (and that is all of our faults!).

You got that right!

Oldbluoval 11-08-2021 04:37 AM

When all of the former Girtz folks retired, Superior died. They tried to sell it to a friend of mine but wanted so much for current stock it was a bad deal.
I’ve heard at least one horror story of dealing with them since retirement and no good ones.
They do not respond to communication

Jeff/Illinois 11-09-2021 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 19Fordy (Post 2027431)

Exactly. I can't agree more.

The way I see it is we have been sold out by Corporate America, Wall Street, and their Washington buddies. Both political parties not just one. All in service to the god of greed.

America has been for sale for a long long time.

JSeery 11-09-2021 08:31 PM

To some degree it is all relative, U.S. parts cost more to produce, but in a lot of cases the quality more than offsets the price. And, balance of trade ends up costing us in the end anyway!

Xilbor 11-24-2021 10:48 AM

Have you created 31 Deluxe Phaeton top irons?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karl Wescott (Post 1585399)

1948F-1Pickup 11-24-2021 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois (Post 2074824)
Exactly. I can't agree more.

The way I see it is we have been sold out by Corporate America, Wall Street, and their Washington buddies. Both political parties not just one. All in service to the god of greed.

America has been for sale for a long long time.

Yup.
I worked in sales in the automotive aftermarket for 27 years, up until June of last year. My last gig was with a bearing manufacturer who actually made product in the United States. Not to be emphasized enough is the fact that the current market’s customer base shops solely on price. Customer service doesn’t matter, quality doesn’t figure in, delivery speed, warranty don’t count.
Sad state of affairs. I’ve had customers I’ve called on and sold to since the mid-90s tell me this directly.
Made in the USA holds about zero weight…… maybe on this forum, but that’s about it.