The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   How to Start the Model "A" shown in 45 seconds (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=283726)

Stoney Lonesome 07-07-2020 04:31 PM

How to Start the Model "A" shown in 45 seconds

“A” START...How to start a 1928 Ford Model "A" in 45 seconds.
short, comic, reel, WATCH...Old-Time,silent moving pictures.
click Vimeo link below...only 45 seconds

https://vimeo.com/435389638

STONEY LONESOME PRODUCTIONS™
https://vimeo.com/channels/stoneylonesome

Dave Mellor NJ 07-07-2020 11:26 PM

Re: How to Start the Model "A" shown in 45 seconds

Why did he have to crank it ? No battery?

McMimmcs 07-07-2020 11:56 PM

Too complicated for me, next!

Keeper79 07-08-2020 05:36 AM

Anti-theft for many decades. Heck, sadly a manual transmission is anti-theft device now as so many fail to learn how to do this is as well.

old31 07-08-2020 06:47 AM

Keeper so true about manual trans.

Here is another one. Went to a show a few use ago and a 16 year old kid asked what that was and pointed. I said what? He said this and touched it. The kid had never seen a manual window crank.

Think about it, his parents and his friends all have power windows as he was growing up.:eek:

ryanheacox 07-08-2020 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old31 (Post 1907090)
Keeper so true about manual trans.

Here is another one. Went to a show a few use ago and a 16 year old kid asked what that was and pointed. I said what? He said this and touched it. The kid had never seen a manual window crank.

Think about it, his parents and his friends all have power windows as he was growing up.:eek:

It's crazy to think about. I just bought a base model manual Subaru Impreza, no options not even a license place bracket on the front. It still had power windows, power mirrors, cruise control, A/C, and even a touchscreen with Apple carplay.... not quite a "base" model in my eyes. Sorry for dragging this off topic.

mngreen 07-10-2020 05:16 PM

Really dumb way to hand crank!! A backfire would have planted his face into his motometer permanently! Always one handed pulling up and not wrapping your thumb around the crank.

30 Closed Cab PU 07-10-2020 08:51 PM

From watching him, seems he may not have had the strength to do it proper with one hand.

Lona 07-11-2020 07:32 AM

How did he hold the choke out when he was in the front of the car cranking? Also, I suspect fully retarded but how far down on the quadrant should the gas lever be when starting?

Glen

Licensed to kill 07-11-2020 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mngreen (Post 1907933)
Really dumb way to hand crank!! A backfire would have planted his face into his motometer permanently! Always one handed pulling up and not wrapping your thumb around the crank.

Not sure I follow. A "backfire" does not turn the engine backwards and with the spark at full retard, it's not going to kick back. That's the whole point of retarding the spark. Not saying it can't happen just don't understand how.

Licensed to kill 07-11-2020 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lona (Post 1908038)
How did he hold the choke out when he was in the front of the car cranking?
Glen

When I bought my delivery it had a piece of haywire from the choke to the front of the truck (but I don't recall where it came out) that I assumed was so you could release the choke as soon as it started with the crank.

old31 07-11-2020 07:56 AM

The wire hooks on the little eyehook (yup thats what its for ) on the bottom of the carb gav lever, then goes past and under the right side of the radiator, and sticks out in front of the radiator 4-5 inches.

Licensed to kill 07-11-2020 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old31 (Post 1908057)
The wire hooks on the little eyehook (yup thats what its for ) on the bottom of the carb gav lever, then goes past and under the right side of the radiator, and sticks out in front of the radiator 4-5 inches.

Yup, that's how it was. Couldn't remember where it came out but under the right side of the rad shell sounds right. So, if this is why the "eye hook" on the choke lever is there, why is this front choke "wire" not a factory feature...or was it??.

JBill 07-11-2020 08:12 AM

Why doesn't mine sound like that??

shew01 07-11-2020 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old31 (Post 1908057)

That’s very interesting. Could you post some pictures? I’d love to see that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anteek29 07-11-2020 11:49 AM

Very sweet sound!

redmodelt 07-11-2020 06:15 PM

You would prime the motor with the key off then turn it on to start. Same way done on a Model T.