The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   King Pin Retaining Bolts (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=283716)

Dennisfly 07-07-2020 01:31 PM

King Pin Retaining Bolts

My king pin retaining pins/bolts have been installed backwards. They were inserted from the rear of the axle and the nut/steering stop is on the front. I became aware of this when the inside of my left front tire rubbed on the brake rod during a tight turn. I figured I could just remove them and reinstall in the proper direction. I removed the nut and lock washer, reinstalled the nut loosely with some space under it and tried to drive the pin out. No luck. I’m using a 24 oz hammer with a long drift rod. I’ve tried with weight on and off the wheels. There is no rust visible, the king pins have no play, and I believe these were rebuilt within the last several years.

Should I go with a five pound sledge or is there something else here that I’m unaware of?

ryanheacox 07-07-2020 01:46 PM

Re: King Pin Retaining Bolts

I had to drive mine out with a sledge and even then it took some beating. Could apply some heat too but the sledge should definitely work.

MAG 07-07-2020 02:15 PM

"I became aware of this when the inside of my left front tire rubbed on the brake rod during a tight turn." Firestone tires?

mrraford 07-07-2020 02:49 PM

The holes through the axle are tapered so you could conceivably be trying to drive the bolts against the taper.
I have had the opportunity to make the mistake of installing the axle backwards and therefore try to install against the taper. A lesson in humility.

Bill G 07-07-2020 02:57 PM

Even with normal installation, I have had to hammer on them to get them out. Be sure to put the domed nut on the bolt a good distance and beat on the domed nut so you don't screw up the threads on the bolt.

Marshall V. Daut 07-07-2020 03:28 PM

Check your private messages in the upper right corner of this webpage.
Marshall

Jacksonlll 07-07-2020 03:29 PM

If they fit ok before and they won’t now, your axle is backwards. Easier to just leave it the way it was unless you are up to the job.

David R. 07-07-2020 05:30 PM

The holes in my AA axle aren’t tapered but the pins are. They wedge against the flat on the king pin. I measured the holes with an inside caliper because I thought they would be tapered but they aren’t.

daren007 07-07-2020 05:33 PM

I’m going with David. The axle does not care.

Dennisfly 07-07-2020 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAG (Post 1906909)
"I became aware of this when the inside of my left front tire rubbed on the brake rod during a tight turn." Firestone tires?

I do have Firestone tires, but I'm thinking that if the turn stop nuts were on the back side of the axle as they should be, this wouldn't have happened.

Dennisfly 07-07-2020 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacksonlll (Post 1906936)
If they fit ok before and they won’t now, your axle is backwards. Easier to just leave it the way it was unless you are up to the job.

I thought I read somewhere that the axle could properly be installed either way, but I certainly could be wrong.

Synchro909 07-07-2020 07:27 PM

I've always found the cotter pins could go in from either side.
I STRONGLY advise against any hammering to get them in. The result of doing that is the king pin eye in the end of the axle gets stretched and the stub axle behaves just like the bushes are flogged out. I am about to take my Brother in Law's front axle to have this repaired after a previous owner drove the cotters in too far. Once that is done, I'm sure we will be able to remove the steering stabilizer they put on there to cover the problem.

chrs1961815 07-07-2020 09:47 PM

Also, be extremely careful when tightening those nuts. I broke one recently by going a little too far with a socket. Learned my lesson - use a wrench instead and take it easy.

old31 07-08-2020 06:55 AM

Chris, what did you do for a repair. Ouch!

chrs1961815 07-08-2020 07:26 AM

I just drove the pin back out and got another one.

katy 07-08-2020 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dennisfly (Post 1906900)
My king pin retaining pins/bolts have been installed backwards. They were inserted from the rear of the axle and the nut/steering stop is on the front. I became aware of this when the inside of my left front tire rubbed on the brake rod during a tight turn. I figured I could just remove them and reinstall in the proper direction. I removed the nut and lock washer, reinstalled the nut loosely with some space under it and tried to drive the pin out. No luck. I’m using a 24 oz hammer with a long drift rod. I’ve tried with weight on and off the wheels. There is no rust visible, the king pins have no play, and I believe these were rebuilt within the last several years.

Should I go with a five pound sledge or is there something else here that I’m unaware of?

I would try: put the nut(s) back on loose, install the cotter pins, go for a drive, then try removing the pins. May or may not work, but it's worth a try.

daren007 07-08-2020 06:40 PM

Once again, The axle does not care.

Dennisfly 07-08-2020 07:28 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by katy (Post 1907167)
I would try: put the nut(s) back on loose, install the cotter pins, go for a drive, then try removing the pins. May or may not work, but it's worth a try.

There are no Cotter pins. There is a lock washer and a special nut/steering stop.

John 07-08-2020 07:45 PM

Sometimes a hand held pneumatic hammer will "rattle" items loose that otherwise seemed to be joined together for good. Add a bit of your own penetrating oil to the joint for luck.

John

Synchro909 07-08-2020 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dennisfly (Post 1907303)
There are no Cotter pins. There is a lock washer and a special nut/steering stop.

That is a cotter pin on the left.