The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   29 Tudor side mounted tire question (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=283492)

fred93 07-02-2020 11:16 AM

29 Tudor side mounted tire question

Is the side mounted tire supposed to contact the bottom of the fender well?

I have been searching the posts here and I have found a lot of good info about side mounted spare tires, but no mention of my question.

If the tire is supposed to contact the fender well. would it be a good idea to place some sort of a cushion at that contact area--maybe a foam rubber of sorts??

Or does the tire/wheel just bolt to the mounting brace without touching the fender well??

Is there a right or wrong way to attach the mounting plate to the brace??

john charlton 07-02-2020 11:30 AM

Re: 29 Tudor side mounted tire question

You cant go wrong the plate installs so the lug nut studs face outwards . The 28/29 mounting plate has a vertical slot . You adjust the slot so the side mount bracket takes ALL the weight of the spare wheel .No weight should be on the fender it is not designed for that . Also adjust so you can fairly easily fit and remove the spare . The tyre will rub in the well so if you have whitewalls put some kind of insulation so the whitewall is not marked .

John in rain showers Suffolk County England .

fred93 07-02-2020 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john charlton (Post 1905227)
You cant go wrong the plate installs so the lug nut studs face outwards . The 28/29 mounting plate has a vertical slot . You adjust the slot so the side mount bracket takes ALL the weight of the spare wheel .No weight should be on the fender it is not designed for that . Also adjust so you can fairly easily fit and remove the spare . The tyre will rub in the well so if you have whitewalls put some kind of insulation so the whitewall is not marked .

Thanks John

BRENT in 10-uh-C 07-02-2020 01:22 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Actually, most reproduction wells that have been installed after the fender left the factory are installed incorrectly. When the well is installed correctly, the tire just touches the bottom of the well and does NOT touch the sides of the well. I don't have time to make another drawing but here is one from a 30/31 fender that shows how the shape is supposed to be.

The side-mount arm is different on the 28/29 and the plates from L to R are different. The two studs should be flat across the top and the valve stem is at the 12:00 position.

fred93 07-03-2020 09:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by john charlton (Post 1905227)

Thanks for your reply--

So from what you are saying this photo is the correct position?

fred93 07-03-2020 09:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C (Post 1905258)
Actually, most reproduction wells that have been installed after the fender left the factory are installed incorrectly. When the well is installed correctly, the tire just touches the bottom of the well and does NOT touch the sides of the well. I don't have time to make another drawing but here is one from a 30/31 fender that shows how the shape is supposed to be.

The side-mount arm is different on the 28/29 and the plates from L to R are different. The two studs should be flat across the top and the valve stem is at the 12:00 position.

Thanks Brent

I assume that I have placed the mounting plate in the proper position?

john charlton 07-04-2020 02:04 AM

Yes you have got it right . The two studs go to the top .

John in Suffolk County England and have a wonderful 4th of July !!!

Synchro909 07-04-2020 02:58 AM

My car is a driver - not interested in having everything exactly as Henry did it.
The wheel can be a little difficult to take out of the well when the time comes because it snags on the studs. I removed the studs, welded a nut on the back of the plate and made 3 bolts using s piece of an old bolt and wheel nuts. Without the studs. the wheel comes out much easier and unless you poke your head over the top and look a the back of the plate, you'd never know the difference.

BRENT in 10-uh-C 07-04-2020 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synchro909 (Post 1905798)
My car is a driver - not interested in having everything exactly as Henry did it.
The wheel can be a little difficult to take out of the well when the time comes because it snags on the studs. I removed the studs, welded a nut on the back of the plate and made 3 bolts using s piece of an old bolt and wheel nuts. Without the studs. the wheel comes out much easier and unless you poke your head over the top and look a the back of the plate, you'd never know the difference.

If someone has an original welled fender, -or a properly installed well in a fender, there is no difficulty whatsoever removing the tire & wheel from the fender. I would venture a guess that your well is incorrect in the shape which is why you saw the need to modify the plate.

Synchro909 07-04-2020 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C (Post 1905818)
If someone has an original welled fender, -or a properly installed well in a fender, there is no difficulty whatsoever removing the tire & wheel from the fender. I would venture a guess that your well is incorrect in the shape which is why you saw the need to modify the plate.

Could be! The well is one from a modern vendor - no guarantees about accuracy of fit.

fred93 07-05-2020 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C (Post 1905818)

I will be installing the spare shortly (and I will let you all know how it works out)--right after I finish installing a new window A/C unit in our bedroom! When will I get a break!!!

Keeper79 07-07-2020 06:04 AM

Have them on my '29 deluxe roadster and the tire may touch the sides just a bit but with the lugs tightened (2 at the top, 1 at the bottom) the whole car shakes when you try to move the mounted wheel. I did have to remove the right side wheel this past weekend as I thought I had a carb mounting bolt roll down into the well.

Just happened to be where I left it so I wouldn't loose it.... opps.

lalkie 07-15-2020 12:19 PM

I am looking to install a well on my 29 pickup. I have been unable to find any measurements showing where to cut the fender properly. Can anyone give me the measurements and how to place the cut. I have the side mount. I would like a measurement from the base of the fender where it attaches to the running board to where the cut is made or where the the metal on the fender is bent inward. I have a 31 fender with a well installed but I am not sure if it would be the same as a 29. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Larry

busyatretired 04-06-2021 11:49 AM

Hello Laikie, I am looking for the same measurements for my 29. The pervious owner did a hack job installing the wells on both fenders so I am going to try and redo them. Any help with the measurements would be greatly appreciated. Bill

redmodelt 04-07-2021 01:17 PM

Then too what tires you have mounted, if larger in cross section will be a tight fit. Re pad under tire, good chance of blocking the drain hole that way! You might end up with a water well instead of tire well. :)

BRENT in 10-uh-C 04-07-2021 03:54 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by busyatretired (Post 2004349)
Hello Laikie, I am looking for the same measurements for my 29. The pervious owner did a hack job installing the wells on both fenders so I am going to try and redo them. Any help with the measurements would be greatly appreciated. Bill

This is an old post coming up again, but welcome to Fordbarn Bill.

I do not have a factory well fender print for a 1928/29 fender to obtain correct info off of, but I can tell you that most of the aftermarket wells I have seen were not installed anywhere close to original Ford-installed wells.

Adding to the above, the reproduction well is made incorrectly too. I have posted the little bit info that I do have that may help you. Attached shows a 30/31 print with the correct shape for the well even though it will be shallower on the 28/29. Also, there is a PDF file that gives some dimensions on well installation ...however use at your own risk as your previous owner may have used these very instructions to do the hack job. :eek: :o