The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   where is the most idiot-proof diagram of terminal box wiring? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=293289)

ericr 01-20-2021 08:46 PM

where is the most idiot-proof diagram of terminal box wiring?

many wiring diagrams I've seen are apparently some restatement of original diagrams with unhelpful particulars like showing the terminal located vertically, the ammeter is just a circle without plusses or minuses. Other diagrams are apparently from Dykes and show polarity of generator fields. Others reference connections via a plus and minus on the coil, which don't exist on repro script coils. Still other resources go into the alteration made after '28, and some of us are less interested in the "why" than the "how".

One member has pointed out a better diagram in Walt's catalog, but the catalog I have is a diagram rather tiny.

References to "driver" or "passenger" side are far easier to comprehend than a "plus" and a "minus" on a coil that don't exist.

in conclusion, is there a simple pictorial diagram outside of Shangri-la?

Jim Mason 01-20-2021 09:39 PM

Re: where is the most idiot-proof diagram of terminal box wiring?

1 Attachment(s)
Try this. based off the Dykes Manual

GPierce 01-20-2021 09:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
See junction box.

McMimmcs 01-20-2021 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericr (Post 1976264)
many wiring diagrams I've seen are apparently some restatement of original diagrams with unhelpful particulars like showing the terminal located vertically, the ammeter is just a circle without plusses or minuses. Other diagrams are apparently from Dykes and show polarity of generator fields. Others reference connections via a plus and minus on the coil, which don't exist on repro script coils. Still other resources go into the alteration made after '28, and some of us are less interested in the "why" than the "how".

One member has pointed out a better diagram in Walt's catalog, but the catalog I have is a diagram rather tiny.

References to "driver" or "passenger" side are far easier to comprehend than a "plus" and a "minus" on a coil that don't exist.

in conclusion, is there a simple pictorial diagram outside of Shangri-la?

I’ll bet your fingers were tired by the time you got to the final line !

Bob C 01-20-2021 10:27 PM

Check out this link. Look at the whole thing,there are actual picture
of the dash, terminal box, ect.
https://www.mafca.com/downloads/Semi...ex%20Janke.pdf

ericr 01-20-2021 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMimmcs (Post 1976280)
I’ll bet your fingers were tired by the time you got to the final line !

LOL well, yeah, this has been a distraction for me for years. Unlike me, the mechanics working on these cars in the day had new cars sitting in the showroom to compare.

I thought I read once that the wires can be completely switched over between the two terminal posts and everything was jake but I knew not to go there.

Y-Blockhead 01-20-2021 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob C (Post 1976288)

That about covers it all. Thanks for the link Bob C.

Bob Bidonde 01-21-2021 09:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my rendition of the terminal box wire hookup.

old31 01-21-2021 09:32 AM

Bob, that is a great diagram. Nice and simple for nice, simple people like me!

Badpuppy 01-21-2021 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde (Post 1976375)

Perfect drawing, Bob, but I don't recommend connecting anything else to the battery circuit. Accessories should be connected to the generator side, same as lighting, horn and wiper.

katy 01-21-2021 10:53 AM

The diagram shown in posts #2 and #3 needs to be rotated 90° clockwise to put it in perspective.

ericr 01-21-2021 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katy (Post 1976408)
The diagram shown in posts #2 and #3 needs to be rotated 90° clockwise to put it in perspective.

You rest my case but simultaneously, thanks to the members who took the time to post the diagrams.

Perhaps some members have a more innate ease with circuitry. Alas, I'm between the town drunk and the village idiot.

yYou

ericr 01-21-2021 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde (Post 1976375)

Bob, thanks for this. I feel like I have found Davy Jones' Locker, Bluebeard's Treasure Chest , the Lost Dutchman's Mine, the Amber Room, the Oak
Island Treasure, Dutch Schultz's Strongbox, etc.

Gary Kelley 01-21-2021 12:44 PM

Quote:

This is the most complete documentation of the electrical system I have encountered. Many things in this document that I have never seen before.

Thanks

Dan Partain 01-21-2021 02:43 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is a difference between the 2 diagrams, and it is the Ammeter. Every time I use the diagram in post 2 & 3 I connect my ammeter backwards and it shows a discharge when it's running, so I end up reversing the wires on the ammeter. If you visualize the ammeter as being shown from the rear on this diagram, it will be correct. Since it shows the needle, it appears to me to be viewed from the front, that's where I go wrong.

I like the diagram that Bob posted, it's easy to see how the wires on the ammeter should be connected.
Thanks for posting that Bob, I hadn't seen this one before now!

jb-ob 01-23-2021 01:04 PM

Studying the MAFCA 'wiring seminar' which is correct, page 2 or page 5, diagram for the ammeter wiring ?

Horn wiring page 52 shows the wire terminals installed from the bottom where as I thought the correct installation was into the sides of the horn terminal block ?

In both examples, which is correct ?

Don/WI 01-23-2021 03:35 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the link Bob. Great information. Don/WI

Jim Mason 01-23-2021 03:54 PM

Horn from the side.
Ammeter which every way to make it read correctly. many of the repops are backward. (Ive been told)

rotorwrench 01-26-2021 05:20 PM

The two items that are as clear as mud are the coil and the amp meter connection. Many late type amp meters don't even have a + or - indicator stamped on. As was mentioned, if the amp meter shows a discharge when it's know to be charging then just swap the leads. On a coil, a person has to check the polarity. It can be done with a pencil lead but a polarity tester like the one Nu-Rex makes is a bit easier to use. Ford likely had a problem with polarity in the early days of the model A before that service bulletin came out in 1929 to change the coil wires around. It won't run as good if the polarity is off.
https://www.nurex.com/sparklite

shew01 01-26-2021 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rotorwrench (Post 1978264)
The two items that are as clear as mud are the coil and the amp meter connection. Many late type amp meters don't even have a + or - indicator stamped on. As was mentioned, if the amp meter shows a discharge when it's know to be charging then just swap the leads. On a coil, a person has to check the polarity. It can be done with a pencil lead but a polarity tester like the one Nu-Rex makes is a bit easier to use. Ford likely had a problem with polarity in the early days of the model A before that service bulletin came out in 1929 to change the coil wires around. It won't run as good if the polarity is off.
https://www.nurex.com/sparklite

The SparkLite is a very handy tool. I was skeptical when I first bought it, but I have used it frequently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk