The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   New guy (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=298503)

Supersmitty 05-13-2021 11:27 AM

New guy

Hi I just wanted to introduce myself. Just joined and starting on my, rough, 41 super deluxe coupe. Car is all original and I plucked it out of a field in upstate NY were she has sat for the better part of 40 years. Hoping to restore her back to a driver. I have quite a challenge on my hands but I have had plenty of rusty cars in the past. Any part information would be greatly appreciated. Finding that 41 seems to be an odd year for finding parts. Thanks!

rockfla 05-13-2021 11:31 AM

Re: New guy

Welcome Sir, from rainy Florida, Glad to have you aboard. If you will notice on the top of the page there is a dash board for the "SWAP MEET" area and parts are posted there everyday AND Parts are listed in the "Wanted" section everyday so that would be your best friend. Here in the Forum section you will find plenty of solid, helpful and expert advice for all you will most likely ever need!! Enjoy the car, the journey and share some photo's when you can......We all like looking at V8 Fords!!!!!

deuce5wndw 05-13-2021 12:04 PM

Welcome

KiWinUS 05-13-2021 12:05 PM

Welcome aboard. Great help on here. Enjoy your venture.

Russ/40 05-13-2021 12:19 PM

Gotta see what your starting with!

cmbrucew 05-13-2021 12:39 PM

Welcome to the Ford Barn
I like 41's I had a short door Deluxe coupe that went to Denmark.
Send me a personal message for needed parts.
Bruce

drolston 05-13-2021 01:02 PM

Most of the quirks are in the front suspension. The engine and radiator arrangement is common with '39 - '40. Most of the rest is common with '42 - '48.

Is yours the wide door "Sedan Coupe" (with back seat), or the far prettier (in my opinion) narrow door "Business Coupe" (with package tray)? Mine is the Business Coupe but has a Camero back seat for grand kids. Is yours the late-model-year with the added chrome mustache, or the far prettier (in my opinion) early model with out the extra trim?

I have tinkered with pretty much every piece and part of a '41 Coupe, so I will look out for your questions and problems.

#1 piece of advice is to replace all brake lines and hoses, and put Lincoln/MT self-energizing brakes on the front. Rebuild wheel cylinders if possible, versus replace.

#2 Replace all of the wiring harnesses, and when you do, get one designed for turn signals.

#3 Ride with a flashlight handy, because in a '41 you can not read the gauges except when they are in direct sunlight. I wish I had painted the stock red gauge needles white when I had the panel apart to replace the deteriorated markings on the glass.

Ggmac 05-13-2021 01:22 PM

Welcome from another 41 super deluxe tudor. Ive had 3-4 41s thru the years . This one is mostly original . Ive got some mechanical stuff but no sheet metal . Best thing I did was get the book . Can’t remember the name but will get it for you .
Gary MacDonald

Supersmitty 05-13-2021 02:39 PM

Thanks for all the info so far and the welcome! I have a bunch of pics I can share just not sure how to on here. Any advice? Thanks

rockfla 05-13-2021 03:02 PM

IF you look at the top middle of the box you are posting in there is a paper clip. Click on the down arrow of the paper clip and you can upload pictures off of your computer. Make sure they are of a "reasonable" size IF they are too big of a pixel size the site will not let you up load them!!!

So click the down arrow, a box will appear with 6 or so lines to "browse" or choose where you want to upload pictures from. Click the "browse" box and choose the file for which your pictures are located!!! Highlight the pictures you want and click the "upload" button at the bottom right!!!

meric42 05-13-2021 03:36 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Welcome to the barn, we are here to help if you need.

Here are some pic's of my '41 Business Coupe after about 40 years resting in a barn in Oklahoma, now at home and being used in New Zealand and with only 40 000 original miles on the clock. :)

Joe Immler 05-13-2021 07:16 PM

Welcome from a 41 Coupe owner! This site will find you an answer to any question you may have !!!!!

svmsr1044 05-13-2021 09:36 PM

Welcome! Best of luck with the 41. You are in good company here.
Steve

V8COOPMAN 05-13-2021 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersmitty (Post 2016201)
Thanks for all the info so far and the welcome! I have a bunch of pics I can share just not sure how to on here. Any advice? Thanks

Hey Smitty......Welcome aboard! If you'll e-mail four or five of those pics to me, I'll post 'em here for you. DD

e-mail to:

[email protected]

corvette8n 05-14-2021 05:56 AM

https://shop.efv8.org/collections/fo...book-softbound
Welcome to the barn.
Get the above book, it’s one of the first things I bought when I got my ‘41.
Feel free to private message me with any specific questions.

Pictures of mine when I brought it home.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/album.php?albumid=4253

McMimmcs 05-14-2021 07:36 AM

Welcome to the best Ford site ever. Post some photos and ask away !

Ford Freak 05-14-2021 07:48 AM

Welcome aboard -now lets see some pics!

Ol' Ron 05-14-2021 08:25 AM

Welcome, Your in the right place.
Gramps

fortyonerag 05-14-2021 09:30 AM

Welcome! My 41 'vert says howdy as well.

Supersmitty 05-14-2021 10:14 AM

7 Attachment(s)
Here are some pics from yesterday. I bought the car last November. Finally getting some time to work on her. Started stripping her down to the chassis so I can begin restoration. Thanks!