The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Speed Bleeder (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=217493)

bo8109b 03-26-2017 04:11 PM

Speed Bleeder

Which particular Speed Bleeder works well in a '48 Ford car?

19Fordy 03-26-2017 05:05 PM

Re: Speed Bleeder

For my 40 Ford I used Speed Bleeder # SB3824L. Should work on a 48 also. These are a little longer to make using them easier. In 2011 4 cost $28 + tax.

Floyd 03-26-2017 05:06 PM

Not actually "speedy" but I use a Mity Vac vacuum system. It works great and can also be used on all modern cars with ABS and Stability control etc. I have not spilled a drop of brake fluid since I got it. Before I had the old jar with a tube and mama bear pushing on the pedal. I spilled the jar every time. Mity Vac is a one person system. Can also be used to diagnose vacuum systems, distributor advances/retard etc.
my opinion

tubman 03-26-2017 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Floyd (Post 1448648)
Not actually "speedy" but I use a Mity Vac vacuum system. It works great and can also be used on all modern cars with ABS and Stability control etc. I have not spilled a drop of brake fluid since I got it. Before I had the old jar with a tube and mama bear pushing on the pedal. I spilled the jar every time. Mity Vac is a one person system. Can also be used to diagnose vacuum systems, distributor advances/retard etc.
my opinion

I'm glad it worked for you. I bought a "Mity-Vac", and it didn't work for me at all. I think they may have quality control problems, as I have seen many negative posts about them both here and on the H.A.M.B.

BTW, I have "Speed-Bleeders" on my '51 Ford and '67 Corvette, and have found them to be very good. The ones for the front of my '51 were too long to install as is, but after I loosened the wheel cylinders a bit I got them in and they worked flawlessly.

Paul Bennett 03-27-2017 01:10 AM

I like my Phoenix purchased a 20 years back. But I see they have a dozen variations of the system. Not sure I'd be able to pick a 'right' one out now.

I'd suggest thumbing through U-Tube videos for what floats your boat. For sure it's great having a 'solo' system which doesn't require a second person to press on the pedal for you when you yell.

19Fordy 03-27-2017 03:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Dr. brown: Here's a photo of the speed bleeder I mentioned.

V8COOPMAN 03-27-2017 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 19Fordy (Post 1449163)
Dr. brown: Here's a photo of the speed bleeder I mentioned.

Heck with the Speed Bleeders.......I'm really likin' that snazzy, hell-for-stout drum retainer. DD

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attach...6&d=1490645131

supereal 03-27-2017 04:21 PM

I suspect the hand vacuum bleeders were designed by the makers of brake fluid, as it takes a whole lot to get the job done properly, due to the relative position of the master and wheel cylinders. If you don't have access to a pressure bleeder, the old "pump and hold" method is better.

12cliff23 03-27-2017 05:40 PM

great info.
was watching Stacy david's gearz show a while back and he used a pump from the wheel back to the MC. looked pretty cool but I think I saw a post here about the practice not being good on the MC. he was raving about bleeding being a true one man job. glad I did not buy one

19Fordy 03-27-2017 05:54 PM

Thanks V-8. Yes, they are "bullet proof". They were specially made to fit the 1939 Lincoln MT Products backing plates and drums as none are available in the market place. They fit great. Made just 10 sets and sold them. I was going to make more, but there wasn't much interest.

39portlander 03-27-2017 06:42 PM

Got a pair of those drum retainers on my MT's that are on the pickup, thank yah kindly 19Fordy:D. Scott

John R 03-27-2017 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 19Fordy (Post 1449235)
Thanks V-8. Yes, they are "bullet proof". They were specially made to fit the 1939 Lincoln MT Products backing plates and drums as none are available in the market place. They fit great. Made just 10 sets and sold them. I was going to make more, but there wasn't much interest.

Any chance that you'll make another run of those retainers? Might be worthwhile to see if there is sufficient interest now. I would take 2 sets.

danliveshere 03-28-2017 02:12 AM

Me too but I only have standard ford hydraulic backing plates and drums not sure if they're different to LZ

19Fordy 03-28-2017 06:46 AM

5 Attachment(s)
John R: Sorry, I don't think I'll be making any more of those due to the cost of water jet cutting and high cost of purchasing steel in small amounts. I advertised on Fordbarn and HAMB with minimal responses. Even sent an email to MT folks.
danliveshere: Those (RED) drum retainers will not fit the standard Ford backing plates and drums - only the MT Products drum and backing plate. If you have access to a MIG welder, some 1/8 inch steel, some metal files an electric drill and a hack saw you can make the ones shown below that I made in 2003. They do fit the standard Ford set up and are "beefier" than those being sold today.
Scott: Glad they worked for you. Thanks again.