The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Engine opinion (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=293643)

rockfla 01-28-2021 08:52 AM

Engine opinion

Okay experts......IF you are going to store several flathead engines.......Would you prefer to store them WHOLE (assembled) OR taken apart??? Is one way better to "possibly" help prevent cracking in the block over the years of ambient heating, cooling and just plain age and existing scale in the block and or wear and damage done in its past life???? OR stuck pistons and heads....etc etc etc

19Fordy 01-28-2021 09:03 AM

Re: Engine opinion

Definitely store them assembled. That way you don't lose any parts and the nuts, bolts and screws. Also makes it easier to find the parts. I recall once when I stored a flatty I filled it completely with oil right up into the valley so as to cover the cam and lifters. Didn't seem to harm anything. Also makes it a lot easier to sell as everything is in one location. Professional engine builders probably have best answer.

51504bat 01-28-2021 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 19Fordy (Post 1978763)
Definitely store them assembled. That way you don't lose any parts and the nuts, bolts and screws. Also makes it easier to find the parts. I recall once when I stored a flatty I filled it completely with oil right up into the valley so as to cover the cam and lifters. Didn't seem to harm anything. Also makes it a lot easier to sell as everything is in one location. Professional engine builders probably have best answer.

You might want to consider using diesel fuel if you plan on filling the engine instead of oil. JMO

34fordy 01-28-2021 10:46 AM

With respect, how can you fill an engine without a rear crankshaft seal with any liquid?

19Fordy 01-28-2021 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 34fordy (Post 1978799)
With respect, how can you fill an engine without a rear crankshaft seal with any liquid?

If the engine is complete it should have crankshaft seal, correct? My 8BA did. No leaks.

blucar 01-28-2021 01:19 PM

Leave the engine completely assembled, fill the cylinders full of MMO via the carb and/or spark plug holes.

With the engine disassembled there is to much chance that parts will get damaged and/or lost.

marko39 01-28-2021 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blucar (Post 1978858)
Leave the engine completely assembled, fill the cylinders full of MMO via the carb and/or spark plug holes.

With the engine disassembled there is to much chance that parts will get damaged and/or lost.

If you can, turn over every few months to prevent seizing.

Bill OH 01-28-2021 02:56 PM

I stored a flatly full of used oil and when the time came to use it, I lifted it up, removed oil pan drain plug and no problems - engine turned over.

deuce5wndw 01-28-2021 03:07 PM

Takes up a lot less room assembled! Dry storage and well lubed a must.

Mart 01-28-2021 03:08 PM

I'd store assembled.
It won't crack if there is no water in it. So drain it and leave the drains open. i'd spray oil down the plug holes from time to tinme and give it a turn over periodically, making sure to leave it in a different position each time.

If you do nothing else, just make sure no water is left inside it.

Mart.

Aarongriffey 01-28-2021 03:34 PM

I bought three “good” 8BA engines over the last 12 years.
One may be good if I ever am able to get it apart but the first two had turned into junk.
Leave the heads and pan on. Plug all the holes.
Put it in a plastic trash bag.

JSeery 01-29-2021 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 19Fordy (Post 1978807)
If the engine is complete it should have crankshaft seal, correct? My 8BA did. No leaks.

The early flathead blocks do not have a rear crankshaft seal.

GB SISSON 01-29-2021 09:47 PM

All any potential buyer should be concerned with is the block. C'mon nobody today is gonna buy a flathead that turns over and just runs it in his DD. Well, I might, but I have very low expectations. The last batch of 3 engines I looked at were complete engines... I didn't even consider them. I have something like 9 blocks. I have no intention of selling them because I am only 67. 2 have professionally done stitched and sleeved repairs, only on ONE cyl ,the others are looking very good from a visual. I have probably 15 cyl heads, many cranks, oil pumps, valves and guides all from engines that were given to me or I bought cheap just to find they were badly cracked. Really, who uses the rods/pistons/bearings/cams/heads/starters/6v generators/carbs/dizzys/manifolds etc for a 6000.00 rebuild? I live in a VERY rural area and have never bought an engine with aftermarket heads/ dual carbs/ Any aftermarket equipment.... Pretty much from a Nalley's Pickle truck.. OK, my .02 A knowledgable buyer wants to know if it's a good block. All those parts you misplaced are gonna come to the rebuilder from Red's Headers, speedway, etc. all good outfits for sure.

jetmek 02-01-2021 08:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Heres how i store them. Prol over 100 blocks in there. Wonky pic. Sorry

51504bat 02-01-2021 10:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
better?