The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Is some blowby normal? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=296593)

Slowmotoring 03-30-2021 01:24 PM

Is some blowby normal?

im just getting the model a out for the year now that spring has finally sprung and the salt is washed off of the roads. I have noticed some oil is coming out of the oil filler neck and there seems to be a lot of air blowing out that seems to be bringing some oil vapor along with it. Is this somewhat normal? Ive seen some model a’s with what looks like a vent tube off of the filler kneck that vents underneath the car. Thats why im not sure if this is “normal” for the a’s or if i need to look into the possibility of a broken or seized ring. I have not done a compression test yet.

Slowmotoring 03-30-2021 01:30 PM

Re: Is some blowby normal?

My bad. I jumped the gun with my post. I have now found that this has already been discussed. Back to the garage now.....

WHN 03-30-2021 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slowmotoring (Post 2002024)
My bad. I jumped the gun with my post. I have now found that this has already been discussed. Back to the garage now.....

No question is a bad question unless you ask it over and over again.

Oil breather, will also keep the fire wall cleaner. Venders sell several different styles.

Enjoy your car.

hardtimes 03-30-2021 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slowmotoring (Post 2002022)
im just getting the model a out for the year now that spring has finally sprung and the salt is washed off of the roads. I have noticed some oil is coming out of the oil filler neck and there seems to be a lot of air blowing out that seems to be bringing some oil vapor along with it. Is this somewhat normal? Ive seen some model a’s with what looks like a vent tube off of the filler kneck that vents underneath the car. Thats why im not sure if this is “normal” for the a’s or if i need to look into the possibility of a broken or seized ring. I have not done a compression test yet.

That’s called a draft tube, a GOOD idea.

McMimmcs 03-30-2021 07:44 PM

Quote:

If that is your worst no no today you had a great day ! Enjoy the rest of your day and be safe! Wayne

Brendan 04-03-2021 11:09 AM

Quote:

why not bring it up again?

redmodelt 04-03-2021 01:32 PM

Rings are not a perfect seal even less so when worn. Pistons goes up, pull air in thru the vent tube, pistons go down push air out thru the vent tube.

Synchro909 04-03-2021 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redmodelt (Post 2003387)
Rings are not a perfect seal even less so when worn. Pistons goes up, pull air in thru the vent tube, pistons go down push air out thru the vent tube.

With 2 pistons going up and 2 going down, the overall volume of the sump doesn't change. Any gasses exiting from the breather are purely the result of blowby, which as has been said, is inevitable.

Slowmotoring 04-03-2021 04:47 PM

I just got done doing a compression test. Cylinder one had 58psi the rest had 60psi. I installed the draft tube after doing the compression test. Weather is nice, its getting driven...

nkaminar 04-03-2021 05:03 PM

Off topic: When we were cruising our sail boat, there was a boat nameed "Blew-by-U" I guess they thought is was fast. Whenever there are two sailboats in the same water going the same direction, it is a race.

Synchro909 04-03-2021 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nkaminar (Post 2003452)
Off topic: When we were cruising our sail boat, there was a boat nameed "Blew-by-U" I guess they thought is was fast. Whenever there are two sailboats in the same water going the same direction, it is a race.

Or maybe it was a reference to the song by Linda Ronstadt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kp9G0zkorio