The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Removing ONLY the top layer of paint? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52363)

Tom Wesenberg 11-06-2011 11:45 AM

Removing ONLY the top layer of paint?

I picked up a 1956 Evinrude 10 H.P> outboard the other day, but unfortunately someone thought it would look better with a light spray of camouflage paint. Does anyone know of a good way to remove just the ugly paint and get back to the original? Luckily he didn't spray it very heavy and didn't spray anything under the cover.

If I can find something to work on this, then I'll probably try it on my 28 Phaeton also and maybe my 29 Tudor. My 28 was painted black over the original gunmetal blue back in the mid 50's. My 29 Tudor was painted a very ugly green over the original rose beige.

Bob C 11-06-2011 11:59 AM

Re: Removing ONLY the top layer of paint?

There was a post on the AA site that said to use graffiti remover.

Bob

BILL WILLIAMSON 11-06-2011 12:32 PM

T.S.P. (trisodium phosphate) mixed w/water to a pancake batter consistancy is a good, slow working stripper for paint removal. A part soaked in a WEAK solution tends to loosen the the newer coat of pain without destroying the older more thoroughly cured paint.
I just stripped the red from a wire wheel, and it left the original black paint intact.

JTW 11-06-2011 12:43 PM

EasyOff oven cleaner in the yellow can worked real well to remove a business hand painted logo and lettering on the side of a used van that I bought once. The tip came from an old time body and fender man. I sprayed it on, let it set. and hosed it off, and it didn't touch the factory paint underneath.

harleyjj 11-06-2011 01:12 PM

I would stay away from oven cleaner!!! It will strip all the paint off!

I have gently wet sanded with very fine sandpaper to remove an upper layer of paint before just go really light and slow. may take a long time but will lessen the risk of damaging the underlying paint with harsh chemicals. just remember that the decals on those old Johnson outboards are water transfer decals and are extermely fragile

Deluxe Delivery 11-06-2011 01:20 PM

I've had excellant success with Klean Strip spray paint remover. Spray a heavy coat, let it wrinkle up about ten minutes, then spray it away with forceful water. I used my garden hose hooked up to hot water, but I suspect cold will work. It took only the top layer and left the wood grain unblemished. Look up my thread about saving original woodgraining. It shows some pictures in action .

fritznbud 11-06-2011 01:40 PM

Tom, I removed a big blue stripe from a police Harley gas tank with a rag soaked in enamel reducer, followed quickly with a water soaked rag. It did no damage to my underlying white paint.

FL&WVMIKE 11-06-2011 05:17 PM

Tom Wesenberg ............................
I had an Italian Harley-Davidson dirt bike, that had been sprayed with a spray can. I accidently discovered that Carburetor Cleaner would melt the spray can paint. I took off the fenders, etc., sprayed it with the carburetor cleaned and wiped it with a rag. It came right down to the original paint ! It was so easy !
MIKE :)

dean from bozeman 11-07-2011 10:11 AM

Tom, I saw an original paint Model A stripped down with oven cleaner. It looked great. If you want I can give you the name and number of the guy who did it so that you can discuss technique.
Dean

Tom Wesenberg 11-07-2011 10:21 AM

Thanks for all the replies. I have some paint thinner and some overn cleaner and will try them today. The weather is down to the 30's and 40's so the chemical action will be pretty slow, as I don't have a heated garage to work in.

RcT 11-07-2011 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg (Post 302293)
Thanks for all the replies. I have some paint thinner and some overn cleaner and will try them today. The weather is down to the 30's and 40's so the chemical action will be pretty slow, as I don't have a heated garage to work in.

Bring it in the house and do it... tests the health of your marriage.

Rich in Tucson 11-07-2011 12:20 PM

A friend who restores Lionel trains uses rubbing compound and/or polishing compounds, depending on the type/thickness of paint or magic marker residue, and the results were fantastic. Takes time and patience and should work well on a small area like an outboard (he restores them too and I suspect he uses the same methods) but may wear out your fingers on a Model A....

FL&WVMIKE 11-07-2011 02:00 PM

Tom Wesenberg ......................
Be careful with that oven cleaner. That is mean stuff ! It seems too strong, to me, to try to take off only one coat, but I guess, that others have done it. Wear rubber gloves !
I used it to clean the chassis of a 1940s Farmall-Cub tractor and it cleaned it down to the bare metal !
MIKE :)

MikeK 11-07-2011 03:50 PM

When you get the rattle-can assault removed, you may find the original decals did not survive. All is not lost. look HERE for antique outboard decals and parts. Click on "Decal Headquarters".

Tom Wesenberg 11-08-2011 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RcT (Post 302358)
Bring it in the house and do it... tests the health of your marriage.

Never married, but still wouldn't do this in the house. I used gas and fine steel wool, and it really cleaned up nicely. I figured since most of the paint was sprayed on so lightly it wouldn't take too much elbow grease to get it off.

The paint on my Model A's is much thicker and I'll have to try another method. I'll try some paint thinner or oven cleaner in a small obscure spot to see what works.

Thanks Mike for the lead on decals. They sure are expensive though. Just the remote gas tank decal cost what I usually pay for the tank and hoses.

Doug in NJ 11-08-2011 07:41 AM

Easy-Off stripped my hood to the metal in a flash. In my case, I was quite pleased. And unlike solvent-based strippers, the residue just washes off with a hose.

Doug

Tom Wesenberg 11-15-2011 07:26 PM

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...g/1b547d12.jpg

Here's an update on the paint removal. I haven't done the cover yet, and you can see the camouflage paint. I removed all the camouflage paint from the lower unit by using gas and steel wool and a little bit of brushing in spots with a small toothbrush size wire brush. This took about 2 hours, and the cover will probably take another two hours. I haven't waxed it yet, but that should help the looks also.

The paint on my Model A's is most likely a better quality paint and thicker, so I'll probably have to try oven cleaner or paint thinner to see if I can remove just the top layer.

Hoogah 07-19-2020 06:53 AM

It's nine years since the previous post on this thread. So, Tom, how did you go returning your Model A's to original paint? Any success and/or horror stories that might guide others faced with the same scenario?

leo 07-19-2020 07:58 AM

My father had a safe in his place of business which had come from a local savings and loan, it had the name in gold leaf across the door. The safe was very old and had much patina. Well at some point my Mom decided to paint it with some type of brown paint, boy was I pissed! Then I discovered that because she had done it without cleaning the surface all that was needed was some mineral spirits and the paint wiped right off sparing the gold leaf. I would try solvents of a different type starting with the least potent before anything that is really harsh.