The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   ‘34 kick panel material (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=297124)

Digger 04-11-2021 10:30 AM

‘34 kick panel material

Anyone know where I can get the proper hardboard for the 33-34 kick panels? I have the pattern, but not the material. Appreciate any leads. Have a great Sunday.

Kube 04-11-2021 11:10 AM

Re: ‘34 kick panel material

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digger (Post 2006012)
Anyone know where I can get the proper hardboard for the 33-34 kick panels? I have the pattern, but not the material. Appreciate any leads. Have a great Sunday.

You can purchase picture frame mat board at any decent hobby store. It comes in a zillion colors and is about the same thickness as the authentic panels.
Around here, Hobby Lobby has the best selection. Do you have a Hobby Lobby in your area?

Digger 04-11-2021 11:32 AM

Oh, great idea, I will check it out!

Dennis Mielke 04-20-2021 05:18 PM

One of the parts suppliers has fiberglass kick panels. Don't remember who but found out that open cars are different than closed cars. If you want I'll try to see who I got them from

Digger 04-20-2021 06:32 PM

Macs sells black fiberglass kick panels, don’t like them. Thanks.

Digger 05-22-2021 06:39 PM

So circling back on this, finished the install today of a pair of kick panels in a 34 coupe. Got the picture frame mat board at Michael’s. The color was spot on, just right, nice dark brown. Sorry I forgot to snap a photo, but over all it came out great. A few things to note: it is half the thickness of the proper kick panel board, so you might want to use spray glue and make a double thick panel to start with. Also, it seems to scuff easier than a correct board, kinda soft, but looks great. Also when you cut it, the core edge is bright white, so you see that edge, unless you can really force the edge behind the vertical welting. Next time I get the car out again, will take some pics.

Kube 05-23-2021 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digger (Post 2019121)
So circling back on this, finished the install today of a pair of kick panels in a 34 coupe. Got the picture frame mat board at Michael’s. The color was spot on, just right, nice dark brown. Sorry I forgot to snap a photo, but over all it came out great. A few things to note: it is half the thickness of the proper kick panel board, so you might want to use spray glue and make a double thick panel to start with. Also, it seems to scuff easier than a correct board, kinda soft, but looks great. Also when you cut it, the core edge is bright white, so you see that edge, unless you can really force the edge behind the vertical welting. Next time I get the car out again, will take some pics.

Thanks for letting us know how this worked for you. The white edge things I'd failed to mention previously as well, on the '39 & '40's I restore, that edge is covered by the retainer. Perhaps a marker in a matching color would serve you well?
I was able to buy very thick board at Michael's Hobby. It's been a while so perhaps they no longer sell the "thick stuff".
Regardless, glad you found a good solution.

Digger 05-23-2021 10:57 AM

Kube, I did try the marker idea, first off have to be very steady handed and not slip and draw a big line onto the board! It worked ok but I should have shopped around for a lighter shade of brown, overall I am happy with it.

banjoQ 05-23-2021 09:40 PM

I picked up on this thread in the beginning. I had tried to find the original material door cards and kick panels. The fiberglass/ plastic ones did not work for me. Kube’s post that mentioned Hobby Lobby got me thinking. Found that they a wide selection of matting material. They have several different weights( thicknesses) which include a heavy one that worked fine. I used black and found it to be dyed through, no core. Six bucks a sheet, three sheets does a truck fine. It’s not perfect but it’s pretty good.

Mike34 05-24-2021 11:30 AM

Great post!!!
I'm in the middle of restoring my '34 5-Window and I have a '34 pickup waiting for some future love. I do not plan to use the plastic either but I also don't have a pattern for the kick panels. Digger, would be kind enough to send me a paper tracing of the kick panels?
Thanks, Mike

Digger 05-24-2021 12:47 PM

Yes I can do so, will send you a PM

FlatheadTed 05-24-2021 04:28 PM

, Having worked with Matt board in the past this sound like a good choice maybe you could spray it with a lacquer rattle can Matt clear to toughen it up on both sides ,

Wrenchead 05-26-2021 04:02 PM

We’re you able to cut the mat board with a razor knife?

Digger 05-26-2021 04:44 PM

Yes, has to be a brand new blade and a super steady hand and/or use the old panel as a fence. My hand was semi steady, and my vision sucks, so I had to put my face right next to the blade!!

dmar836 05-27-2021 12:21 PM

The matte spray is a good idea. I have done that before to good effect.
D

Digger 05-27-2021 04:24 PM

Of course do a test on a scrap piece first

Digger 05-29-2021 05:55 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Photos

FlatheadTed 06-01-2021 09:36 PM

Digger,the pictures look pretty good ,