The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   A block color (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211909)

bwaii64 01-02-2017 06:08 AM

A block color

My understanding is that the model A engines are green. However as we strip this one I find no evidence that it was ever anything but red - even in the the casting pits. Were there ever any red ones? or did someone do a really good blast job? or is the green so close to the raw block color that I just can't make it out?

This is a US engine (SN A799835) but it's in Brazil S.A.

Tom Wesenberg 01-02-2017 09:26 AM

Re: A block color

I think years ago Sears sold rebuilt Model A engines that were red.
In the 50's and 60's Wards and Sears sold a lot of Model A parts.

denis4x4 01-02-2017 10:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
If you want better performance, by all means repaint it red.

bwaii64 01-02-2017 10:29 AM

anyone know anything about engines sold to South America?

C26Pinelake 01-02-2017 10:40 AM

Whatever it was, make sure it is green this time. To have a red engine would make the car look like if was built or painted by a young kid who knows nothing about cars or that you can't afford the correct color. It becomes a Circusmobile. Wayne

TinCup 01-02-2017 10:41 AM

My father said the painting of engines red went back to WWII. As a motor pool sergeant he said they would paint jeep and truck motors red when they rebuilt them and the practice just carried forward with returning mechanics.

GPierce 01-02-2017 10:44 AM

I bought a rebuilt V8 for 47 Ford coupe in 55, it was painted red.

wrndln 01-02-2017 11:51 AM

I suspect the engine was rebuilt at some point and in the process was degreased, which removed the green paint even in the casting crevices. Then the rebuilder painted the block red. Maybe it was a Sears or Wards rebuild or maybe someone that just liked red.
Rusty Nelson

ian Simpson 01-05-2017 01:50 AM

I rebuilt the transmission in our Canadian built 1928 Tudor late last month, and although the paint is long gone from the exterior of both the block and transmission, the inside of the covers over the lower front of the flywheel and the clutch throw out are a dark blue green. Much different from the pure green colour Snyders put on the rebuilt shift tower I purchased.

The number stamped on the block indicates it is a 1928 Canadian built motor so it is probably the original, albeit likely rebuilt more than once.

diomed 01-05-2017 08:54 PM

If the block was soaked in a caustic hot tank, that would strip every bit of paint off of it. The hot tanks in the 50's and 60's were probably pretty amazing.

jimalabam 01-05-2017 09:11 PM

My first full time job at 16 was working in the shop of a parts/service co. Guess who disassembled and "Hot Tanked" all the cast parts and guess who painted the rebuilt and reassembled long blocks. Yep my company painted them red for shipping to both Sears and Monkey Wards. Not only Ford bur UGH! Chevy, other GM, you name it. Your are right, back then before Air Force days, I did not know a darn thing about the Model A... At 16, I drove a '35 Ford Coupe which I still don't how it got me to work every day. Your are right again, it was a FORD. jiml...