The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Dome light (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=254066)

mac101 11-01-2018 03:54 PM

Dome light

2 Attachment(s)
Found this dome light in the bottom of a box of parts I’ve been saving.

I don’t think it’s Model A. Does anybody recognize what it might be off of?

160B 11-01-2018 05:43 PM

Re: Dome light

1 Attachment(s)
It looks like Dome Lamp B in the RG&JS page 12-16 Revised 2016.

see below pdf

midgetracer 11-01-2018 06:30 PM

it does not look Model A to me.

pbishop 11-01-2018 08:37 PM

I love the 'pic' with your reply! The kid knows best.

Reminded me of once when my son was little - I had trouble starting the 'A' and opened the distributor, touched-up all the connections and then tried to start the car. Still had no luck, then my son said, 'Dad, plug that top wire back in (coil wire) -started right up.

daveymc29 11-01-2018 10:47 PM

It might be from a 29 deluxe delivery? I certainly would use it on mine if I still had it. Not a show car, I might ad.

Don Turley 11-02-2018 08:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by daveymc29 (Post 1691796)
It might be from a 29 deluxe delivery? I certainly would use it on mine if I still had it. Not a show car, I might ad.

The 1929 Deluxe Delivery uses the same dome lamp as the 1929 Fordor and Town Sedan, but it is mounted on the header above the windshield. The switch is mounted next to the lamp. The switch cover plate on the 1929 Deluxe Delivery is plain, not the same as the cars. Photo attached.

Don Turley 11-02-2018 08:48 AM

mac101, the dome lamp in your photo is NOT originally from a Model A Ford. Sorry, but I don't know what vehicle it came on.

3thumbs 11-03-2018 10:30 AM

My dome light on my '31 Tudor has quit working. I can't see how to remove the cover and I don't want to break it. How does it come off?
Dave

Don Turley 11-03-2018 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3thumbs (Post 1692230)
My dome light on my '31 Tudor has quit working. I can't see how to remove the cover and I don't want to break it. How does it come off?
Dave

If your dome lamp is an original one that came equipped on the Tudor, then it has a snap ring that retains the lens in the lamp fixture. The plated bezel is part of the lamp fixture which is attached to a wood support and the roof cross bows. The bezel and fixture stays put, not removed. If you look closely, you will see where the two ends of the snap ring "almost" meet. The snap ring is at the edge of the lens and snaps into the bezel. You will need to pry one end of the snap ring with a thin flat blade screwdriver or knife. When the snap ring turns loose from the fixture, be prepared to catch the lens from dropping and breaking. You might want an extra hand there to catch the lens. Once the lens is removed, you can replace the bulb. If the bulb is not the problem, then you will need to check the wiring.

3thumbs 11-09-2018 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Turley (Post 1692261)
If your dome lamp is an original one that came equipped on the Tudor, then it has a snap ring that retains the lens in the lamp fixture. The plated bezel is part of the lamp fixture which is attached to a wood support and the roof cross bows. The bezel and fixture stays put, not removed. If you look closely, you will see where the two ends of the snap ring "almost" meet. The snap ring is at the edge of the lens and snaps into the bezel. You will need to pry one end of the snap ring with a thin flat blade screwdriver or knife. When the snap ring turns loose from the fixture, be prepared to catch the lens from dropping and breaking. You might want an extra hand there to catch the lens. Once the lens is removed, you can replace the bulb. If the bulb is not the problem, then you will need to check the wiring.

I found the snap ring, and it looks just like you said. However, I cannot get anything under the ends of the snap ring. It is really tight, and doesn't want to come out at all. The dome light worked the last time I tried it, probably a year ago. The car has been converted to 12v so I think it is the bulb.

3thumbs 11-09-2018 05:39 PM

I just managed to get the lens out and the bulb is good. Must be the wiring.
Dave

Badpuppy 11-10-2018 11:01 AM

If it's an original, remove the bulb and push the socket inward and work it back and forth a few times. The contact may have corroded a bit. The rotating part may have slipped away from the contact also, just applying a bit of pressure while turning it on may do the job.

duke36 11-10-2018 11:44 AM

Looks like the one in some mid 30's Chrysler products with an oval shape and integral switch. Mine has the snap ring soldered to the plated outer frame to retain the lens.