The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   I broke my truck! Plus some dumb luck. (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=271244)

Mart 10-20-2019 03:57 PM

I broke my truck! Plus some dumb luck.

1 Attachment(s)
I took my 41 pickup to a classic car meeting yesterday afternoon. On the way home, I was pulling away from a junction, when suddenly I wasn't. There was an almighty Bang! and no drive in any gear.

I looked to see if I had sheared a key and it wasn't that.

Luckily my friend was with me in another car so he went home to get a tow rope and his other car.

Years ago I snapped the output shaft in the gearbox in Old Rusty and I had assumed that had happened again.

He towed me home on the rope, about 8 miles all along windy roads, lots of junctions, hills and roundabouts. I was braking to keep the rope taut when necessary.

I took the top off the gearbox and found nothing wrong.

I just started to remove the rear end and found that one of the axle shafts was broken. The hub was able to pull out about 9" before something stopped it coming out any further.

What I can't understand (this is the dumb luck bit) is how can I be towed 8 miles home around bends etc without the axle floating out and me losing brakes?

I can't believe how lucky I have been.

Another friend has reported a similar tale where he also did not lose the wheel.

When I broke down I was in a sort of panic survival mode and the thought of a broken axle shaft never occurred to me.

Now I need to see what availability there is of a replacement shaft in the UK.

Wish me luck.

Mart.

Ol' Ron 10-20-2019 04:07 PM

Re: I broke my truck! Plus some dumb luck.

One of the reasons I don't use early Ford rear ends. Replacing them is a safety issue.

alanwoodieman 10-20-2019 04:51 PM

I made a set of tabs that keep the axle from coming out if it breaks. I think Vern Tardall has them.

richard crow 10-20-2019 05:03 PM

you keep using that piece of junk jack stand you will have more problems than a broken axle

Phil Gillespie 10-20-2019 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mart (Post 1811859)
I took my 41 pickup to a classic car meeting yesterday afternoon. On the way home, I was pulling away from a junction, when suddenly I wasn't. There was an almighty Bang! and no drive in any gear.

I looked to see if I had sheared a key and it wasn't that.

Luckily my friend was with me in another car so he went home to get a tow rope and his other car.

Years ago I snapped the output shaft in the gearbox in Old Rusty and I had assumed that had happened again.

He towed me home on the rope, about 8 miles all along windy roads, lots of junctions, hills and roundabouts. I was braking to keep the rope taut when necessary.

I took the top off the gearbox and found nothing wrong.

I just started to remove the rear end and found that one of the axle shafts was broken. The hub was able to pull out about 9" before something stopped it coming out any further.

What I can't understand (this is the dumb luck bit) is how can I be towed 8 miles home around bends etc without the axle floating out and me losing brakes?

I can't believe how lucky I have been.

Another friend has reported a similar tale where he also did not lose the wheel.

When I broke down I was in a sort of panic survival mode and the thought of a broken axle shaft never occurred to me.

Now I need to see what availability there is of a replacement shaft in the UK.

Wish me luck.

Mart.

Had exactly the same happen to me. 39 coupe just stopped on hill incline.
Towed it back to Westport around 15 to 20 km. Used AA to get the car home on a transporter. Then found the broken axle, LHS. Also didnt move out when towing and no lose of breaking. Made sure the replacement axles were checked and crack tested before fitting.
On checking at axle break it had not been holding on by much for some time.
This was a lucky one for me.
Recently somilar happended to an EFV8 member around the city. He was not so lucky as axle walked out and damaged guard.
Phil NZ

Mart 10-20-2019 05:39 PM

Without the strength of the axle shaft to hold it straight, the clearance in the bearing allows some wobble. I wonder if the offset of the wheel in combination with the not so well supported hub tends to create a slight toe in situation. That misalignment might encourage the wheel hub combo to push inwards.

Honestly I'm amazed it didn't walk out.

I'm thinking of making some drum retainer tabs.

Re the axle stand. You'll need to wait for the video to see how I was using that one. (It wasn't to hold the truck up).

Yes, there will be a video.

Mart.

Ggmac 10-20-2019 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mart (Post 1811883)
Without the strength of the axle shaft to hold it straight, the clearance in the bearing allows some wobble. I wonder if the offset of the wheel in combination with the not so well supported hub tends to create a slight toe in situation. That misalignment might encourage the wheel hub combo to push inwards.

Honestly I'm amazed it didn't walk out.

I'm thinking of making some drum retainer tabs.

Re the axle stand. You'll need to wait for the video to see how I was using that one. (It wasn't to hold the truck up).

Yes, there will be a video.
Speedway has some inexpensive safety tabs

Mart.

Speedway has some inexpensive safety tabs

jimTN 10-21-2019 07:14 AM

I popped one on my 37 pulling out from a stop sign. The axle broke right where there was a ring wore in the axle from the inner seal.

Mart 10-21-2019 09:45 AM

Smoking gun found.

Stripped the axle out the left side of the casing. The job went well.

Pulled the left half shaft (literally half in this case)

Amazingly it had broken where someone had welded it.

Probably shortened a 46-48 shaft to suit.

Incredible.

The other shaft shows no signs of being welded so should remain.

Good news I suppose.

Mart.

V8COOPMAN 10-21-2019 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mart (Post 1812096)

Amazingly it had broken where someone had welded it.

Probably shortened a 46-48 shaft to suit.

It's sometimes scary as hell thinking about the "cool modifications" people perform on cars using an arc welder, for instance, like the custom steering components below! DD

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...7&d=1571685401

Talkwrench 10-21-2019 07:04 PM

"Amazingly it had broken where someone had welded it."
WHAT THE F>>>?

And I cant believe that picture ..sweet lord ?!!!

Tinker 10-21-2019 07:33 PM

A quality TIG welder can weld two steel objects that have some serious pressure on them and the last thing that will give loose is the weld. However... heat can compromise the strength of said item also.

A old arc welder guy might be better then a new MIG buyer/welder.

Those rear hub retains are a decent idea. Cheap to make or buy.

V8COOPMAN 10-21-2019 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tinker (Post 1812333)
A quality TIG welder can weld two steel objects that have some serious pressure on them and the last thing that will give loose is the weld.

Your statement about a "quality TIG welder CAN...." holds much merit. On the other hand, ol' Mart's axle didn't hold for chit, did it? DD

Tinker 10-21-2019 09:39 PM

No it didn't. But we don't know what was done, or how either.

Mart 10-22-2019 11:29 AM

Did a 250 mile round trip today in relatively heavy traffic. Not great fun, but I do have a replacement shaft in hand. So I can now start reassembling it. Luckily I had some parts I could horse trade so no actual money changed hands.

Mart.

Phil Gillespie 10-22-2019 11:51 AM

Recommend: Close inspection and crack test of taper and keyway areas at both axles prior refitting.
Phil NZ

tiger.1000 10-23-2019 02:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Mart....has the time come for you to sacrifice punishment for charm ?

19Fordy 10-23-2019 09:04 AM

7 Attachment(s)
You can also make your own axle retainers that bolt to the wheel cylinders. These were made of 1/8 inch steel. They are "beefier" than the ones you can buy. However you could buy a pair and then 'beef" them up. Easy to do. Also, follow Richard Crow's advice re: very unsafe 3 legged jack stand. Here's a very informative thread.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...drum+retainers