The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Adjusting Flathead V8 Lifters (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=236518)

Smitty 01-04-2018 12:38 AM

Adjusting Flathead V8 Lifters

Been a long time since I have done this with Johnson Lifters and wrenches.
I have some China wrenches and what I thought were NOS Johnson lifters.
These wrenches are supposed to lock 2 adjacent lifters together so that may be adjusted..? I don't see how with the lifters and wrenches I have..
Where am I missing..?
Thanks, Steve

GB SISSON 01-04-2018 12:51 AM

Re: Adjusting Flathead V8 Lifters

Should be a right and a left hand wrench. The tangs go into two of the 4 top holes to keep it from turning. If you are lucky, someone drilled a hole about 1/8" dia near the bottom of lifter boss in block. Poke an allen wrench into a diagonal slot in the lifter to stop it from turning. Way easier if you are so lucky.

4t8v8 01-04-2018 09:47 AM

Just finished adjusting mine. The lifter wrenches are a little confusing at first but after figuring them out they worked fine. As GB Sisson said there is a left and right hand wrench.

rotorwrench 01-04-2018 10:00 AM

Even the original Johnson tools can bend under the pressure to turn the adjuster bolt and they should be tight. The drilling of the follower bores is one way and another is to fabricate a heavier duty spanner to fit the wrenching holes.

flatjack9 01-04-2018 10:41 AM

The adjusters butt against the block to keep from turning.

tubman 01-04-2018 11:06 AM

I remember seeing a post on the H.A.M.B. where a guy made a simple tool out of two short bolts and a coupling nut that he used to keep the wrenches in place while adjusting the lifters. He said it worked great and it looked like it would to me as well. I have spent a bunch of time trying to find that post and I just can't.

Does anybody else remember seeing this?

Smitty 01-04-2018 11:23 AM

There is no part of the wrench that will fit into the hole atop the lifter nor will the opening on the wrench fit the nut. Is the little tang on the wrench supposed to fit the hole on top of the lifter?

JSeery 01-04-2018 11:59 AM

What cam are you running? A high lift cam will move the lifter down into the lifter bore.

Smitty 01-04-2018 12:02 PM

Lifters not yet in motor, probably Max-1 or 400JR

rotorwrench 01-04-2018 12:05 PM

The tool works in conjunction with the tappet next to it. The U shaped cut out fits to the neighboring tappet adjuster bolt shank and the little tang on the end fits into only one of the holes in the tappet to be adjusted. One is for right and one is for left on each pair of tappets. They are a PITA to use and they bend easily.

They may not even fit for the application you have, as was mentioned previously.

JSeery 01-04-2018 12:19 PM

You would be much better off drilling the holes in the lifter bosses and using something like an allen wrench through the hole. You would also benifit from removing some materal from the top of the boss for wrench clearance.

4t8v8 01-04-2018 12:43 PM

I am running a Max-1 cam in mine and they work great. As I mentioned before it took a little while to figure them out.

Ol' Ron 01-04-2018 03:50 PM

That's why we drill holes in the lifter bores so we don't have to use the damn things, When using a Hi Lift cam, just grind a little off the top of the lifter bore so you can get at the adjuster. A 400 jr is a bad idea unless you plan on racing. An isky 1007B would be a better choice.

woodypecker 01-05-2018 07:03 PM

I have a 400jr and it is a pita to adjust. I have to measure the clearance then raise the lifter in the bore and adjust by trial and error. So drill the holes if it is not too late.

joe plumber 01-05-2018 07:20 PM

[QUOTE=woodypecker;1575208]I have a 400jr and it is a pita to adjust. I have to measure the clearance then raise the lifter in the bore and adjust by trial and error. So drill the holes if it is not too late.[/QUOT

joe plumber 01-05-2018 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol' Ron (Post 1574642)
That's why we drill holes in the lifter bores so we don't have to use the damn things, When using a Hi Lift cam, just grind a little off the top of the lifter bore so you can get at the adjuster. A 400 jr is a bad idea unless you plan on racing. An isky 1007B would be a better choice.

I have an Isky 1007B,I agree

joe plumber 01-05-2018 07:25 PM

[QUOTE=Ol' Ron;1574642]That's why we drill holes in the lifter bores so we don't have to use the damn things, When using a Hi Lift cam, just grind a little off the top of the lifter bore so you can get at the adjuster. A 400 jr is a bad idea unless you plan on racing. An isky 1007B would be a better choice.[/QUO

Smitty 01-05-2018 09:20 PM

Update: Just took delivery of different set of lifters, aftermarket wrenches fit just fine.
Steve

chap52 01-06-2018 07:56 AM

I busted the tabs off of a couple of sets of those "wrenches" before I drilled the bosses as mentioned above. I didn't remove any of the top part of the bosses (wish I had) and have to move the lifter position up so I can "guesstimate" the needed adjustment, then rotate back down so I can measure the clearances. Best time to make these adjustments is with the engine on the engine stand. I believe that Ol'Ron dose it before he installs the pistons.
Do a search on this site as someone posted a picture of the drilled bosses not too long ago.