The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   "Missing" (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=181821)

Mad Mac 11-02-2015 10:16 PM

"Missing"

Hi again guys:
My 1929 RPU has started to "miss" a bit, especially when not fully warmed up. I have just recently filed and re-gapped the ignition points, re-timed the engine and cleaned and re-gapped the plugs, so all should be OK. What is the most common cause of "missing"?

Tom Wesenberg 11-02-2015 10:26 PM

Re: "Missing"

Weak or lost spark and poor or lack of fuel are main causes of a miss. Hold the coil wire a bit out of the cap and check for a hot consistent spark.

Mitch//pa 11-03-2015 05:49 AM

see if you can determine which hole is missing by shorting them out, then focus your attention on that particular cylinder... spark plug, intake gasket, etc , etc

BILL WILLIAMSON 11-03-2015 08:46 AM

Even a "cleaned" plug might be defective ! Plugs are an expendable, wear out item. Always keep 1 or 2 sets of new plugs in stock. Even the CHEEPER brands of plugs work well, IF YOU USE THE RIGHT HEAT RANGE! Folks that drive with a little "GUSTO" usually don't have a "SOOTING" UP problem.
If you've ever used those old Champion Spark Plug Testers, then you KNOW the things that can go WRONG, up inside the plug, that can cause MIS-FIRING. Throw away old questionable plugs/condoms, so you're NOT tempted to use them again!
Bill W.

Mitch//pa 11-03-2015 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON (Post 1183197)
Even a "cleaned" plug might be defective ! Plugs are an expendable, wear out item. Always keep 1 or 2 sets of new plugs in stock. Even the CHEEPER brands of plugs work well, IF YOU USE THE RIGHT HEAT RANGE! Folks that drive with a little "GUSTO" usually don't have a "SOOTING" UP problem.
If you've ever used those old Champion Spark Plug Testers, then you KNOW the things that can go WRONG, up inside the plug, that can cause MIS-FIRING. Throw away old questionable plugs/condoms, so you're NOT tempted to use them again!
Bill W.

throw away the used condoms also?:confused: you never taught me that :eek:

Big hammer 11-03-2015 02:04 PM

New plugs can miss fire - if the counter person slams them down say thanks and buy them elsewhere! Or if someone hits them with a big hammer :-)
Beat you to it Bill !

85930tudor 11-03-2015 07:47 PM

If it has been sitting for a while you could have a stuck valve not closing all the way

Mad Mac 11-04-2015 12:50 AM

Maybe I should clarify: The "missing" does not happen all the time, so it cannot be a stuck valve. There is plenty of spark, so that is not the problem either. Engine runs quite smoothly most of the time, with only the occasional "miss".

katy 11-04-2015 11:06 AM

May be running a tad lean, try enriching it about 1/8th of a turn.

George Miller 11-04-2015 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbirdtbird (Post 1183232)
if a head gasket is letting any water into the cylinder a missfire will result

That would be my guess also.