The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Noise in 2nd gear 39 Transmission (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=281860)

waltere 05-30-2020 09:39 PM

Noise in 2nd gear 39 Transmission

2000 miles on complete rebuild of transmission. Started with a slight vibration only upon deceleration in second gear only. After about another 100 miles started making light clunking noise and whine in second gear only. Great shifting and no noise under acceleration in any gear. Looking for advise!
Thanks in advance!

cas3 05-30-2020 11:52 PM

Re: Noise in 2nd gear 39 Transmission

clunking to me would mean something is very unhappy. first thing i would do is drain the fluid to check for metal. got a magnetic drain plug? i like those. vibration, and noise on deceleration i would think a rear end issue, or drive shaft. good shifting means the end play and bearings should be working correctly. puzzler! go to step one-check the fluid

alanwoodieman 05-31-2020 08:33 AM

drain rear axle and check for metal there also. had a pin on the coupler break and come off and get into the rear gear lock nuts. grease the u joint with recommended grease corn head or the 1/2 x 1/2 combo

waltere 05-31-2020 09:28 AM

Great ideas! I never thought about the rear axle. I will drain both trans and rear and report back.
Thanks

cadillac512 05-31-2020 02:29 PM

It's worth considering a loose u-joint bolt at the trans output shaft as well. That allows excessive end play in the trans and can show up in 2nd gear as a first symptom.

waltere 05-31-2020 10:15 PM

I drained both transmission and rear differential in separate clean pans. Differential looks good but transmission lube has silver cast. Put magnet in both but could not pick anything up. No chunks visible. ANY THOUGHTS!

30Murray 05-31-2020 11:40 PM

Did you replace the cluster gear roller bearings? Most of those available now are imported junk and can fail prematurely. Look for Tom Endy's post below ( under Model A's) or his tech articles under Santa Anita A's.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=266282

waltere 06-01-2020 04:15 AM

All new bearings. my guess is they are failing. Thanks for sharing the link

flatheadmurre 06-01-2020 05:06 AM

Bearings has been of questionable quality so has the shafts...
There has been shafts soft and undersize from the big vendors.
First tell tale on the shafts is that they just fall into the bore...then they will leak like a sieve...should be tight in the housing bore.

Lawrie 06-01-2020 05:21 AM

And you can file them they are so soft,
Lawrie

john in illinois 06-01-2020 06:59 AM

Barnfind08 here has NOS cluster bearings. Do not know if he has shafts

John

alanwoodieman 06-01-2020 07:07 AM

silver cast could mean thrust washer has worn down which will cause too much movement of the cluster gear. did the trans rebuilder face the thrust plate part of the trans case? This is a weak point of these trans

waltere 06-02-2020 09:57 PM

All great ideas. The gentleman that rebuilt it for me was very experienced. Not to say he didn't make a mistake. I am going to pull it (MAJOR JOB) and i will let you now what I find.
Thanks for the help!

Talkwrench 06-02-2020 11:10 PM

Do you have a torque tube with center bearing? Dont discount that...

waltere 09-23-2020 10:27 PM

So here is conclusion of the noise. Everyone's suggestions wee appreciated!! Once I came to the conclusion the transmission was the problem I decided to build a complete new box and do a swap. Called my go to guy @ All Ford and got the run around so I called Mac Vanpelt. Mac answered the phone on the first ring and convinced me that he could build me a good gearbox. I found a case from a GENTLEMAN here on the Barn and He sent it as promised & as represented. I sent it to Mac and He did exactly what he said he would do and delivered it ON TIME! I now have it back in the car and put about 200 miles on it. WORKS GREAT!!! Mac is a pleasurer to do business with!! THANKS MAC!

hardtimes 09-24-2020 04:49 PM

So, did you (with Mac) determine WHAT was cause of trans problem (s) ??
It would be instructive/helpful to all here, to see what Mac found...that caused the symptoms that made you seek help here !

hardtimes 09-24-2020 04:52 PM

Can you inform US, WHAT Mac found to be the cause of your trans symptoms that you reported here initially ?

Mac VP 09-24-2020 06:46 PM

Not sure who this customer is, but reading his post, I believe he sent us a core transmission (or perhaps just the gearbox case). Whatever we got from him wasn’t his original transmission. So I can’t really comment on what was going on with his other trans.

qmdv 09-24-2020 07:57 PM

Mac is a very helpful person. First class

JM 35 Sedan 09-25-2020 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hardtimes (Post 1934861)
Can you inform US, WHAT Mac found to be the cause of your trans symptoms that you reported here initially ?

In reading Waltere's last post, it does not say he sent his failed transmission to Mac VP. He found another case and sent that to Mac for build or rebuild. Then swapped his defective trans with the one Mac built.
Maybe if you send Waltere a pm, he will clarify what he found wrong with his original transmission, and also post that follow-up info here as well.