The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   stromberg large 97 help (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=136372)

jan bogert 04-09-2014 11:10 AM

stromberg large 97 help

got two new 97's two years ago from one of the best. well today I went to start the car for the first time this year. the rear carb was pouring out gas, I took it off I believe the only thing to look at was the float needle and seat. thinking it was stuck. I hope so anyway, I didn't put it back on yet. my question is the leather excelerater pump, is there a special way to put it down in its opening when putting the carb top on? I sure don't want to damage it.

Charlie ny 04-09-2014 11:44 AM

Re: stromberg large 97 help

Jan,
If it was me email me [email protected] or call after 8pm
716 662 9159.
Charlie ny

jan bogert 04-09-2014 01:53 PM

well it wasn't the needle and seat, put the carb back on and fuel over filling the rear carb. any ideas welcome??

hardtimes 04-09-2014 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jan bogert (Post 856194)
well it wasn't the needle and seat, put the carb back on and fuel over filling the rear carb. any ideas welcome??

Hey jan,
Hm, without seeing situation first hand, I'm 'guessing' that you should check the float LEVEL ! Wrong level of float will make things overflow.
As to how to install acc pump...I usually use a very small amount of lube (oil) ..if leather pump material. If 'rubber' type pump..just patiently/gently push pump edges into opening...with fingers.

Charlie ny 04-09-2014 03:18 PM

Jan,
Got the email, I have contact info for the fellow who did your carbs, I will
email you pronto gusto.
Charlie ny
For what it's worth when I install the acc pump in a Stromberg it is in the
air horn hanging on the bell crank, I give the acc pump a slight twist as I push the
pump into its bore, this helps get the edge past the vertical slot in the bore....might
take a couple tries. Don't force it in or you might roll the edge over and compromise
the leather.
Additionally be sure to remove the float and give it shake to be sure it isn't
filled with fuel. It is quite possible that a marginal float gave it up over the winter....
it happens.

jan bogert 04-09-2014 03:35 PM

thanks Charlie, it was the float the bowl was full and the float sank,.Max is sending me a new one and a horn gasket.Charlie do I have to readjust the new float, or can Max do that before he sends it? I don't know the measurements for the adjustments. JAN.

Charlie ny 04-09-2014 05:06 PM

jan,
You will have to adjust the float......No one knows Strombergs like Max
and his instruction to me if I recall was the toe of the float should be slightly lower
than the hinge end when pushing the tang against the needle and seating the needle in the seat.....060 should be ok. Be ABSOLUTELY sure that the little
90 degree bend on the tang clears the inlet fitting where it protrudes into the bowl
and also clears the inside face of the bowl when pushing it against the inlet needle.
Charlie ny