The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What does YOUR timing gear look like? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139841)

tbirdtbird 05-17-2014 08:10 PM

What does YOUR timing gear look like?

1 Attachment(s)
Tourer is in for a Stipe .330 lift cam. Guess we'll add a bronze timing gear from Dan.
This laminated fiber gear (not the super crappy macerated type) has only 5K on it. Three teeth show the same amount of tooth missing.

Might wanna be thinking aluminum or bronze next time.....

BudP 05-17-2014 08:30 PM

Re: What does YOUR timing gear look like?

Dan is back in production now. I just bought a bronze cam gear and a steel, heat-treated crank gear from him.

Pete 05-17-2014 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbirdtbird (Post 878888)
Tourer is in for a Stipe .330 lift cam. Guess we'll add a bronze timing gear from Dan.
This laminated fiber gear (not the super crappy macerated type) has only 5K on it. Three teeth show the same amount of tooth missing.

Go for the gold.

tbirdtbird 05-17-2014 08:32 PM

Dan: the finest workmanship I have ever seen...well, Bill Stipe's workmanship is flawless, also

tbirdtbird 05-17-2014 10:05 PM

I like that ! LOL

Tom Wesenberg 05-17-2014 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1930 coupe (Post 878905)
This is what my timing gear looks like. :D

I was wondering why it called a TIMING gear.:D:p

Purdy Swoft 05-17-2014 10:12 PM

Cool clock !!! Did you make it ?

hardtimes 05-18-2014 02:18 AM

Quote:

IMO, if you have done the work to remove that necessary to replace the timing gear with Dan's bronze, it would be prudent to also order/use his steel MATCHING crank gear at the same time. He recommends that and makes the match set for those who want the best ! I use Dan's creations due to his craftsmanship/pride in his product, and because he lives close by and ships quickly....then sends me a bill:)! Stipe products , IMO, are also top of the line . However, he resides in a far away land (read..shipping $) !

rocket1 05-18-2014 07:06 AM

I think it's always prudent to replace both gears at the same time,a slightly rough crank gear will chew up the cam gear in short order.

BRENT in 10-uh-C 05-18-2014 07:22 AM

Quote:

What is your opinion why the teeth are damaged in only 5k miles?

Patrick L. 05-18-2014 08:15 AM

I have the same question as Brent, plus, was it making any noise ?

mshmodela 05-18-2014 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1930 coupe (Post 878905)
This is what my timing gear looks like. :D

lol!!! ;)

John LaVoy 05-18-2014 08:30 AM

Having replaced timing gears on the road in the past I have put bronze timing gears with matching crank gears on all the cars.

Purdy Swoft 05-18-2014 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick L. (Post 879083)
I have the same question as Brent, plus, was it making any noise ?

I have had trouble with fiber timing gears and now only use metal gears . My two cents on one possible reason for early fiber gear failure is the use of a rag between the gears when tightening the cam nut. Dan recommends the use of a clamp, even on his metal gears.

Purdy Swoft 05-18-2014 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1930 coupe (Post 878952)
Made about 10 of them about 10 years ago. My wife painted the numbers on them. Used them for Christmas presents.

Nice job!!! Those clocks would probably sell good, especially at swap meets.

Patrick L. 05-18-2014 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft (Post 879142)
I have had trouble with fiber timing gears and now only use metal gears . My two cents on one possible reason for early fiber gear failure is the use of a rag between the gears when tightening the cam nut. Dan recommends the use of a clamp, even on his metal gears.

Hmm, thats interesting. I've used the 'rag method' on just about everything. But, from the looks of that gear tooth it appears I'll be changing my ways.

tbirdtbird 05-18-2014 10:43 AM

I too wondered why it was showing failure so soon. Other than manufacturing quality I had not thought about the rag. Purdy, I think you are on to something.
No, there was no noise.
I know one thing for sure: I will only install metal gears from now on.

Purdy, where would you get such a clamp

Purdy Swoft 05-18-2014 12:17 PM

Either Dan McEachern or George Miller posted a picture of the clamp in use. It is sort of a C clamp. The side timing cover is removed, the clamp , clamps on the cam gear and rests on the side of the engine so as to hold the gear in place for tightening. I don't have a picture of the clamp.

BRENT in 10-uh-C 05-18-2014 03:19 PM

I guess this is just me, but my thoughts are a Fiber gear should not be condemned because of a Mechanic's poor craftsmanship!

Mitch//pa 05-18-2014 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C (Post 879289)
I guess this is just me, but my thoughts are a Fiber gear should not be condemned because of a Mechanic's poor craftsmanship!

agree and if something seizes in the valve train the fiber gear is designed to strip. thats one of the reasons they are used