The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   How much is 6 volts? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=301668)

Royal Ryser 07-26-2021 02:40 PM

How much is 6 volts?

Actually, what should the voltage be for a fully charged 6 volt battery? Any difference between an Optima and a regular lead-acid battery?

rockfla 07-26-2021 02:55 PM

Re: How much is 6 volts?

Most of my lead acid 6V have been in the 6.29 to 6.35 Volts by my VO meter

Lawson Cox 07-26-2021 02:55 PM

Optima costs more but lasts three times as long with no corrosion. Oh, 6V.

slowforty 07-26-2021 03:35 PM

I got an Optima from Amazon and they gave me $150 off if I got their credit card which I will probably never use

Kube 07-26-2021 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Royal Ryser (Post 2039814)
Actually, what should the voltage be for a fully charged 6 volt battery? Any difference between an Optima and a regular lead-acid battery?

To answer the question asked, right around 6.3v fully charged. Optima or acid, it's still right about 6.3v.

rockfla 07-26-2021 03:41 PM

I thought I did answer the question?

Kube 07-26-2021 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockfla (Post 2039839)
I thought I did answer the question?

You did. As did I.

DavidG 07-26-2021 04:03 PM

Now, now, boys, let's not forget that it's a hobby.:)

JSeery 07-26-2021 04:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
There are battery state of charge charts that can give you an idea of what the battery charge is.

cadillac512 07-26-2021 05:21 PM

Typical conventional lead-acid batteries are approximately 2.1 volts per cell...and provide the voltages that the esteemed gentlemen above referenced. :)
Terry

rockfla 07-26-2021 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kube (Post 2039846)
You did. As did I.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidG (Post 2039850)
Now, now, boys, let's not forget that it's a hobby.:)

NO hard feelings or Ill intent, just trying to be an “Ellic Smart”!!! Sorry Kube & DavidG!!! MY BAD!!!

VeryTangled 07-26-2021 06:48 PM

Auto batteries are 2.1V per cell @ 100% charge.

tubman 07-26-2021 08:36 PM

BTW, Optima's are still lead-acid batteries; they just do it differently using AGM (Absorbent Glass Mat) technology.

Tinker 07-26-2021 08:56 PM

And optimas do not like to be topped off every sitting day. Same with cell phone batteries. You can over cycle them. if you leave them plugged in all time. It's okay to let them run down. If your charging system is decent you don't need to tend them, never have. You don't need to leave your garage everytime with a "fully" charged battery. Optima batteries going on 10 and 14 yrs now.

Royal Ryser 07-27-2021 08:27 AM

Thanks for the help, guys. I asked this question on the Barn because I knew I'd get a quick, accurate answer, and maybe some humor? too.

rockfla 07-27-2021 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Royal Ryser (Post 2040051)
Thanks for the help, guys. I asked this question on the Barn because I knew I'd get a quick, accurate answer, and maybe some humor? too.

All be it "Sarcastic" hopefully NOT obnoxious!!

Crankster 07-27-2021 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Royal Ryser (Post 2039814)

Yes, there is. I always recommend reading primary sources, in this case, why not find out what Optima says?

https://www.optimabatteries.com/expe...attery-voltage!

In the 12 volt universe there is some misunderstanding on what a "fully charged" battery will measure, because battery chemistry and materials have changed a fair bit over the years. Now it is true most people will not care a whit, just so long as there is enough juice to start the car. But for the nerds, the ODC types, the numbers vary.

"Modern" maintenance-free sealed car batteries - invented in 1971 btw - have a different open circuit voltage when fully charged than a "standard lead-acid" battery. (The kind with filler caps to add distilled water) The latter when fully charged, measure 12.65 volts at 77° F; maintenance free and AGM on the other hand, will measure 12.80 volts.

A tenth or two of a volt doesn't sound like much, but as a percentage of battery charge it looms large, especially over a period of time, because of what's called permanent sulfation. Batteries are getting expensive to buy now. They tend to last much longer, and give better service, when preventive maintenance is followed. So, an OPTIMA 6V battery depending on which flavor you buy, is going to measure about 6.4 volts (or more).

I know one of the selling points of the OPTIMA is they laugh at neglect, but I can't help but wonder if they would last even longer with a little TLC now and then? Maybe.

It's also important to pay attention when choosing a battery charger, there are GEL cells, AGM, spiral wound, as well as "deep cycle" or marine batteries available, it's not just the good ole lead-acid automotive start batteries around anymore. They all have slightly different charging profiles and/or discharge characteristics. When spending bigger bucks on these fancy pants boutique battery, I'd especially want to make sure it gets charged "just right", not too much, not too little.

Some people suggest a strategy of buying a really good, high quality battery charger, coupled with a more middling quality battery, versus an equivalent amount of money spent on the "best" warranty and high CCA battery alone.