The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Replacing glass in Murray Town Sedan (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=282752)

rosenkranswa 06-17-2020 02:15 PM

Replacing glass in Murray Town Sedan

A couple weeks ago I posted about replacing glass in my '30 Murray Town Sedan and got several good replies. I've now obtained the window glass, a channel kit, and new lower channel. I was getting ready today to start assembling everything and, of course, ran into a snag - so a couple questions before I commit to anything:

1)The Murray left-front lower glass channel I got from Snyders is different from the one that came off of there in that there is a lip on the channel that appears to go to the outside:

Looking at the channel for the Briggs TS, it doesn't seem to have the lip, which matches the one that came off of there.

It almost looks like another seal could go on the lip to seal the window to the door when closed. Looking at the one on the other side, it doesn't seem to have the lip either. I wouldn't be surprised if they just used what they could get when they replaced it quite some time ago - pretty sure its not original.

Is the channel with the lip to the outside correct? and does another seal go on there like the sponge at the top (I have enough sponge to do that)?

2) There was either no adhesive, or traces of very old adhesive on the side channels when it came out of there. I guessing there should be some adhesive on the side channels to keep them in place? A tube came with the channel kit. I know the foam seal at the top gets glued in.

3) There are two rubber blocks with the kit but no indication where they go, any ideas? Also a set of small black screws?

Thanks much for any feedback

Bob Bidonde 06-18-2020 10:12 AM

Re: Replacing glass in Murray Town Sedan

4 Attachment(s)
These photos are of my Murray built Victoria, and I am guessing that the window glass parts are similar in design to your car. As for the rubber parts, there are 3 bumpers, the largest of which goes on a bracket that serves as the bottom of travel window stop. On center at the bottom of the window opening in the doors, there are small rubber bumpers that go into slots cut into the door's sheet metal. The small bumpers serve to cushion the glass when the door is slammed.

jw hash 06-18-2020 12:22 PM

Bob I think he is talking a 30 straight window. TS but I could be wrong. they are completely different than the slant widow. the two rubber blocks are the window stops when you roll the window down all the way. and if it is a straight window the lower window setting rubber does NOT have a lip on it like the slant window cars. they have a wiper seal that screws in door.

rosenkranswa 06-19-2020 11:18 AM

JW,

You’re right, it is a straight window TS, and your point about the straight window not having the lip is just what I needed to hear. I had decided to clean up the one I took out of there and reuse it rather than go with the new one.

Thanks much guys

Wayne

jstone154 07-01-2020 10:41 AM

I have the same question. I have a Murray Town Sedan '29 and I am also replacing the window glass. I have all of the mechanical parts, but all of the glass and bottom glass supports have been out of the car for a long time and I am trying to put them back. To further complicate the matters, the driver's door is what I think is from a Briggs car. The riser arm doesn't have the extra trough on one side. Which side does the trough go? Outside?
Thanks for the help.
Jim Stone

Ruth 07-01-2020 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jstone154 (Post 1904830)
To further complicate the matters, the driver's door is what I think is from a Briggs car.
Jim Stone

Jim, I believe a Briggs door will not fit in a Murray body, different width.

jstone154 07-01-2020 01:54 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Ruth...
Thanks for the info. I was basing my ID on the fact that the two front doors are different. One has a glass mounting rail with no lip and the other one has a lip like the doors in the back. Looking in Model A parts catalogs, the Murrary has a lip and the Briggs do not.
I will try to attach some pictures.
Jim...

Ruth 07-01-2020 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jstone154 (Post 1904893)
Ruth...
Thanks for the info. I was basing my ID on the fact that the two front doors are different. One has a glass mounting rail with no lip and the other one has a lip like the doors in the back. Looking in Model A parts catalogs, the Murrary has a lip and the Briggs do not.
I will try to attach some pictures.
Jim...

I forgot to add that Murray windows are rounded at the top and Briggs are flat.

jstone154 07-01-2020 04:06 PM

Can anyone tell me what seals the window on the outside when the window is rolled up? Is there some kind of rubber seal? I haven't located on any of the Model A parts catalogs.
Thanks.
Jim Stone

Del in NE Ohio 07-02-2020 07:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
There was a unique seal that was used on Murray glass channels. I don't think it is being produced. Attached is a note I got from someone when I was restoring my 155-A

Kingo 07-02-2020 07:13 AM

Wayne,
I’ll shoot a few pictures where the rubber stops go tonight when I get to shop
King

jstone154 07-02-2020 05:23 PM

Del...
Thanks for the info. At least I will know what I am looking for.
Jim...

Kingo 07-02-2020 06:27 PM

3 Attachment(s)
The front door has just one attached to the metal brace from latch and riser plat to the wood on bottom of door. The rear doors have two bumpers

GT1929 10-30-2021 03:53 PM

Hello,

Have the glass that came out of doors however with new channels glass wont go in or I cant slide channels in after glass in position. Glass now appears too wide for available gap?

JayJay 11-01-2021 10:56 AM

Post removed - just noticed the thread is over a year old.

JayJay