The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Rear Axle Wheel Bearing Grease (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=251615)

twinjoan 09-18-2018 01:04 PM

Rear Axle Wheel Bearing Grease

Need information regarding wheel bearing grease for rear axle. For years I used McKay No. 425, but it has not been available for a long time. Please respond with options. Elmer

JM 35 Sedan 09-18-2018 01:38 PM

Re: Rear Axle Wheel Bearing Grease

I would suggest packing those wheel bearings with Sta Lube 3131 fiber filled grease available from NAPA. I would not recommend shooting a chassis lube type grease into those zerk fittings located at the small end of the axle housings, near the backing plates.

Lawrie 09-18-2018 05:00 PM

John what about Timkin bearing grease,thats what I use, we dont have the sta lube stuff here.
My other thought was to us a grease that they ise in truck wheel bearings.
Lawrie

philipswanson 09-18-2018 10:23 PM

I use Mobil 1 synthetic grease.

JM 35 Sedan 09-18-2018 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lawrie (Post 1676486)
John what about Timkin bearing grease,thats what I use, we dont have the sta lube stuff here.
My other thought was to us a grease that they ise in truck wheel bearings.
Lawrie

Hi Lawrie, I'm not familiar with Timken wheel bearing grease. I'll have to do a search on that and see what its specs are. You definitely want to use a fibre filled grease for packing early Ford rear wheel bearings.

Lawrie 09-19-2018 12:05 AM

John, would it not be OK to use a grease that is recomended for truck or semi trailer wheel bearings,the tapered rollers on them would be about the same size as the rollers in the ford.
Lawrie

Drbrown 09-19-2018 12:46 AM

(Ha) In 1956 I borrowed a can of Montgomery Ward wheel bearing grease for my high school classmates father. Still have it. Still half full. Can't return it now.

flatheadmurre 09-19-2018 01:35 AM

The load isnīt heavy on a car...so basicly putting in a real stiff heavy duty grease only creates power loss.
A light duty wheel bearing grease should do just fine.
So why the heavy grease...seals not doing their job ?

Lawrie 09-19-2018 01:45 AM

No, I thought that the modern wheel bearing grease would get squeezed out from between the rollers and the inner bearing.
But I have been using Timkin wheel bearing grease for ages,seems OK, but I,m having a senior moment and thought i would see if I could chase up the stuff JM 35 and others use,We dont have that many options here as you do in the USA, same as the GL4 for the trans ,not an easy thing to source here.
Lawrie