The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   generator charging rate adjustment (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3122)

JDakota 05-27-2010 12:00 AM

generator charging rate adjustment

to adjust charging rate do you take off the band and not the rear end of the starter? Do you just move the third brush without loosening a screw ? Which brush is the third brush? Any other advice? I think I have an L2 generator.

Model A Man 05-27-2010 12:13 AM

Re: generator charging rate adjustment

You take the band off the generator not the starter. it is the spring loaded brush and you do NOT loosen any screws on the brushes and use a wooden stick to move the brush Down(counter clockwise) to raise the charging rate or up (clockwise ) to lower the charge rate. this in on a nonpower house gererator.

Ed Saniewski 05-27-2010 05:34 AM

I picked up an extra pair of chop stix one time with dinner and keep one with each cars tool roll.

Bob A. 05-27-2010 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Model A Man (Post 15957)
You take the band off the generator not the starter. it is the spring loaded brush and you do NOT loosen any screws on the brushes and use a wooden stick to move the brush Down(counter clockwise) to raise the charging rate or up (clockwise ) to lower the charge rate. this in on a nonpower house gererator.

Good advise, but why do you use a stick to move the brush? When I had a generator on my car I used my finger, is this a safety problem?

zzlegend 05-27-2010 08:34 AM

Some brush's dont move that smoothly by hand. I also use a small wood brush handle, similiar to a tooth brush, that i cut off and a small hammer. Just a couple of small taps to move it.

Model A Man 05-27-2010 10:04 AM

I have used my fingers too when the motor was turned off. but some adjust the 3rd brush when the motor is running and some might think of using a screwdriver by mistake. that is why i said wood. Just for safety sakes

Tom Wesenberg 05-27-2010 10:06 AM

If you want an insulated screwdriver to use for adjusting the 3rd brush, you can slide some heat shrink tubing over the blade and shrink it by holding it near the exhaust manifold.

oliverguy 12-28-2010 01:14 PM

Please see other post. What keeps this brush in place if you don't have to loosen anything to adjust it?

Peter J 12-28-2010 01:49 PM

The brush is spring loaded. It has a little lever to take the pressure off it when it's moved.

thebanjoman 12-28-2010 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob A. (Post 16013)
Good advise, but why do you use a stick to move the brush? When I had a generator on my car I used my finger, is this a safety problem?

My Grandfather used that old line on me more than once..

"Never put your finger where you wouldn't put your...." (you know the rest..)

Makes perfect sense to me..

Just sounds like a stick is a much better way to go.

HDowse 12-28-2010 04:36 PM

You can adjust the 3rd brush as folks have mentioned or you can ask Tom Wesenberg (see post above) about his electronic voltage regulator that goes inside the generator and automatically adjusts the generator output to the load. I've had one in each of my cars for a few years and they take all the worry out of boiling the battey or not getting enough charge. Pretty easy to install or send your generator to Tom for a look see and installation. No connection with Tom except as a happy customer. You ought to see what that Powerhouse puts out in my '28 Leatherback!