The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Shaky Two Post lift (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=243495)

Colonel 04-29-2018 08:11 PM

Shaky Two Post lift

I have a almost new 2 post car lift. With 10 inch vertical extensions on the arms, I can find the frame in four places(non symmetric) and lift the vehicle. But... the car is shaky on the lift and I am not comfortable doing real work under it.

I am wondering if anyone has experienced the same problem and have found a solution. I am ready to modify the lift as necessary but not sure what will work. Thanks in advance for any thoughts, pictures, etc...

40 Deluxe 04-29-2018 08:34 PM

Re: Shaky Two Post lift

What is the brand, and the load capacity? Is the shakiness in the extensions? The arms? The posts? Or in the floor anchors?

old31 04-30-2018 02:59 AM

On my Atlas 2 post if I wiggle the car it will shake on the arms.

Pinesdune 04-30-2018 06:35 AM

You could try one or two of these, I use one under the hitch of my 3/4 ton long box when working on it to take the wiggle out of it, it sure stabilizes things

https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta....pal-prod-com2

krzewinskibe 04-30-2018 07:21 AM

I find the model a frame flexes quite a bit on my two post....that's probably what you're experiencing. Same issue with other vehicles?

Railcarmover 04-30-2018 07:54 AM

The model a's structure is in the axles,radius rods and torque tube,the frame doesnt do the job a ladder frame normally does,like in a truck.Try lifting the car from under the axles.

Ray64 04-30-2018 07:55 AM

I have one of those tripods. Got mine at harbor freight and it is heavy and well built Works like a charm. RAy

art ebeling 04-30-2018 04:59 PM

Somebody has posted pictures of a short runway connecting the arms together making the two post lift a drive on lift. I don't remember if the runways ran across or front to back. Somebody has to have pictures. Art

Colonel 04-30-2018 07:41 PM

My 2 post lift is a 9 ton Atlas from Gregg Smith. I would love to build something to use the arms and lift from the front and rear axle. The front and rear arms are different length(not symetrical) making the car lift not centered with the posts. It is a bit forward.

The lift is sound and well anchored. I just don't like that when I push on the car when its in the air it is shaky. Don't have room for 4pt lift and ramps. Don't like flexing the frame and the body.

art ebeling 04-30-2018 08:04 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I did a search of this forum and found these.

SeaSlugs 05-01-2018 08:17 AM

Even with ramps or things under the axles its still going to wiggle when you start bouncing it. Its a 2 post lift - only 2 points that are trying to keep the car from rotating. I would just get the heavy duty adjustable tripods as posted above one at each end and snug them. Should be stable as a rock as it now has 4 points of ground contact.

Just to make sure you are using the lift correctly: Raise vehicle up letting the safety locks clank into place, then lower the car onto the safety locks so its not going anywhere right?

katy 05-01-2018 08:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This was on the forum a while ago:

Long rails and short interior cross bars are 2" OD, 3/16" wall, DOM.
Exterior cross bars are 1 1/2" x 3" rectangle tubing.
1 1/2" x 1 1/2" angle caps the ends at the bottom for addition strength.
Each sections weighs about 75+ pounds.
Probably some overkill designed in to it.

Railcarmover 05-01-2018 08:52 AM

Lifts are handy for routine maintenance,but most heavy work is done easier on the ground,or a four post drive on..