The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Front windshield rubber for closed car (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=252340)

wkuehnis 10-01-2018 11:56 PM

Front windshield rubber for closed car

3 Attachment(s)
Hi,
I made my first trip with my A through 8 countries in 8 days and made 2500 km.
Sometimes it was very cold. I have a hot air heater on the collector.
It works: it blows nice hot air into the car, but from the front windshield comes much more cold air, so it's very could inside.

It's a Briggs fordor 1931.
Question:
What kind of rubber or gasket can I mount on my front widshield to insulate it a bit against the wind. (best would be a order number from one of the distributers)
Do I have to clue it ?

I try to add some pictures from the windshield.

Thanks for help
Willi

J Franklin 10-02-2018 12:04 AM

Re: Front windshield rubber for closed car

From snydersantiqueauto.com

Windshield frame gasket part # A-79500
Windshield hinge gasket Part # A-79550
The gasket around the window fits in a metal gutter that is part of the frame
The top gasket fits between the windshield frame and the header.

wkuehnis 10-02-2018 12:59 AM

Thanks,
yes, I have seen them in the catalog, but till now I don't see how to fix them. Maybe it will be clearer, if I hold the rubbers in my hand.

So I don't need to order anything else to mount and fix them ?

Thanks
Willi

J Franklin 10-02-2018 02:19 AM

Maybe someone can post a photo of the rubber installed, If I have time I will try to get a photo. Does your windshield have any remnants of old rubber gasket?

desotoguy 10-02-2018 06:54 AM

I suggest that you inspect the top rubber gasket very closely before you remove the WS. I recently attempted to replace this gasket on my coupe and found the replacement was not formed to the correct shape, and when installed made the WS fit incorrectly. Most likely the air is entering the cab on the botton and sides of the WS.

Tom Wesenberg 10-02-2018 07:16 AM

No glue is needed. The rubber seals should slide into metal channels, and I'm sure someone will have pictures to post.

MickeyT 10-02-2018 07:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of how the top gasket is mounted to the header. But I agree this gasket is not likely the issue. It's going to be the gasket around the windshield frame sides and bottom.

Brian SATX 10-02-2018 07:43 AM

Desoto- not sure what car you have, but a flat windshield and a slant windshield do have different top gaskets. Not all suppliers carry teh one for the slant. Make sure you get the right one.

Ed Wendell 10-02-2018 11:23 PM

Willi,
The gaskets slide in a channel. You will want to clean the channels, and clean them again. I used Ru-glide (a rubber lubricant) to make them slide better. Tire shops use it when mounting tires. The channels may be crimped in a couple of places to hold the gasket in place. I used a screw driver to pry them open a little bit. You will need to miter the 2 bottom corners, so don't get ahead of yourself and cut the gasket off to soon.

Good luck,
Ed

wkuehnis 10-02-2018 11:33 PM

Hi,
thanks for your answers. I didn't realize the rubbers at the top till now.

But the cold wind came only from the buttom, so I first want to solve the problem there.

Till now, I don't understand, if I have to mount this rubber on the fix frame part or on the movable windshield. But I guess, it's not on the movable windshield, because there is now "channel" to mount it.

Willi

J Franklin 10-03-2018 12:27 AM

2 Attachment(s)
The windshield frame gasket rubber goes on the movable frame with glass. Maybe the channel has rusted away or is not being recognized.

MickeyT 10-03-2018 06:07 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I'm about to mount mine as soon as the windshield glass comes in. Here are a couple of pictures of the replacement gasket and the frame.

wkuehnis 10-03-2018 07:41 AM

Thanks,

now it's clearer where the rubbers belongs. But I don't have this channels to fix them.
Maybe I can mount the rubbers with silicone ?

But: Maybe there have different styles for this frames ?

Willi

100IH 10-03-2018 08:19 AM

Might be that the only way to replace rubber is to remove the entire assembly. If you can see that the thin, bendable metal retainer strip is no longer there to hold the rubber, May be a foam rubber strip with an adhesive on the back will work. Will be difficult to find another glass frame as there are some variables and they tend to rust away.

J Franklin 10-03-2018 11:12 AM

Maybe some thin sheet metal and a tig welder could fabricate a new channel. Or use rubber weatherstrip as noted above.

Paragon 12-24-2018 09:12 AM

I'd like to know how you install the windshield weatherstrip around the side of the windshield frame where the square nuts (one on each side) are located in the bead channel? Do you notch the bead? Do you stretch the bead around the nuts w/o any cutting? What do you use to glue the mitered corners together?

BillLee/Chandler, TX 12-24-2018 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paragon (Post 1708930)
I'd like to know how you install the windshield weatherstrip around the side of the windshield frame where the square nuts (one on each side) are located in the bead channel? Do you notch the bead? Do you stretch the bead around the nuts w/o any cutting? What do you use to glue the mitered corners together?

I used a small amount of super glue to glue the mitered corners together. That stuff works surprisingly well on rubber.