The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Charging 6 volt Battery (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=296887)

Lefthander1930 04-05-2021 07:02 PM

Charging 6 volt Battery

Any special instructions when going to charge a 6 volt Pos ground Battery while in the car ??

rotorwrench 04-05-2021 07:19 PM

Re: Charging 6 volt Battery

Like anything with the old cars and unknown modifications, it depends on what the car has for a charging system. If the car has an original type generator and cut out relay or an alternator conversion then a person can connect and charge the battery as long as they have a 6-volt charger. If the car has a fun projects regulator on top of the generator then the ground lead should be disconnected from the battery for charging. Just be sure to get a good reconnect before starting the engine. The Fun Projects set up is sentitive to bad connections of either power or ground.

McMimmcs 04-05-2021 08:10 PM

Here goes, I likely have done it wrong for 25 years but I put the 6 volt negative charger cable on the starter and the 6 volt positive cable on the head bolt. It’s never failed me. Wayne

California Travieso 04-05-2021 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMimmcs (Post 2004168)
Here goes, I likely have done it wrong for 25 years but I put the 6 volt negative charger cable on the starter and the 6 volt positive cable on the head bolt. It’s never failed me. Wayne

According to the instruction manual for my Schumacher maintainer, that is the correct way to charge a battery in a negative ground car. I didn’t realize that until I read the manual recently.

Of course I’ve been doing it wrong on my Model A for the last 7 years with my a Battery Tender (BT), but it seems to work. The BT is electronic so maybe it can adjust to the polarity. The BT only provides 2 amps of output so it could be that it is not enough current to damage the battery.

David Serrano

Synchro909 04-05-2021 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by California Travieso (Post 2004181)
According to the instruction manual for my Schumacher maintainer, that is the correct way to charge a battery in a negative ground car. I didn’t realize that until I read the manual recently.

Of course I’ve been doing it wrong on my Model A for the last 7 years with my a Battery Tender (BT), but it seems to work. The BT is electronic so maybe it can adjust to the polarity. The BT only provides 2 amps of output so it could be that it is not enough current to damage the battery.

David Serrano

I suspect you have confused your positive and negatives. A 6v Model A is positive earth so you would connect the positive lead to earth, not the negative one. The sparks that will result in doing it that way should alert you to the problem.

Y-Blockhead 04-05-2021 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synchro909 (Post 2004185)
I suspect you have confused your positive and negatives. A 6v Model A is positive earth so you would connect the positive lead to earth, not the negative one. The sparks that will result in doing it that way should alert you to the problem.

Not to mention the LEDs on a Battery Tender blink RED if connected incorrectly.

Patrick L. 04-06-2021 08:15 AM

" The sparks that will result in doing it that way should alert you to the problem. "

LOL !

frank55a 04-06-2021 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMimmcs (Post 2004168)

I have been doing it this way since 1963 with both the original generators and 6V alternators using 6V chargers and battery tenders. No problems.

Patrick L. 04-06-2021 10:36 AM

I just use a quick connector with + to grd and - to starter. So I just plug the connector together and walk away.

shew01 04-06-2021 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick L. (Post 2004313)
I just use a quick connector with + to grd and - to starter. So I just plug the connector together and walk away.

Same here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hitman 04-06-2021 09:55 PM

I charge the battery in the car, no matter how the battery is connected. I don’t charge the car.

Positive terminal to the positive battery terminal, negative to negative.

jerrytocci 04-06-2021 10:24 PM

Simple and true

Chuck Sea/Tac 04-06-2021 11:42 PM

[QUOTE=rotorwrench If the car has a fun projects regulator on top of the generator then the ground lead should be disconnected from the battery for charging. Just be sure to get a good reconnect before starting the engine. The Fun Projects set up is sentitive to bad connections of either power or ground.[/QUOTE]

Is this info in the paperwork included when you buy a fun projects?

Synchro909 04-07-2021 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by McMimmcs View Post

I have been doing it this way since 1963 with both the original generators and 6V alternators using 6V chargers and battery tenders. No problems.

That's right, For a positive earth system, negative goes to the battery neg and positive to earth (Head nut)