The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Brake Adjustment (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=288821)

msstring 10-17-2020 09:54 PM

Brake Adjustment

What is the key to bleeding and adjusting brakes? I have all new cylinders and new lines. I have blead all the lines again by pumping 3 to 4 pumps at each wheel. Going to need to get more brake fluid to do more.

Brakes are adjusted so there is just slight drag when spinning wheels. Still need about half the pedal travel and the pedal is spongy.

Any suggestions?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

ford38v8 10-17-2020 10:47 PM

Re: Brake Adjustment

My '38 has mechanical brakes, but from what I remember about hydraulics, pump and release slowly to prevent bubbles, do the right rear first (farthest from MC), left front last (closest to MC). Back in the day, I used a Nehi pop bottle (clear) with the hose submerged and my helper pumped a couple times beyond the no bubbles point. I'm told that if you are using silicone fluid, the brakes will normally feel spongy. You probably know all that, but offhand, that's all I remember anyway.

Lanny 10-17-2020 11:09 PM

Did you Bench Bleed the master cyl, first, to remove any air in it ?

aussie merc 10-17-2020 11:16 PM

just a thought check the master cylinder pushrod adjustment then bleed the master cylinder then all four wheels furthest first and so on If all good should wind up with 1/2 pedal play then a good pedal

glennpm 10-18-2020 06:30 AM

You didn't say if you had a helper that was pumping the brakes, holding the pressure and then you quickly opening the bleeder valve ; then closing it quickly. What exactly did you do? Lots of help on the net about this. You can do it by yourself too, but need suction or pressure devices to do so.

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...d-your-brakes/

19Fordy 10-18-2020 08:56 AM

msstring: What year and make car are you working on? Have you adjusted the rod on the master cylinder? Is there wear on the clevis pin and connecting points in your brake pedal mechanism? If so, "play" accumulates" at each moving joint.
Did you read this thread?
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=180579

tubman 10-18-2020 09:51 AM

If you don't have "quality help" when bleeding your brakes, "Speed-Bleeders" are a great help. Used properly, it is easy to do it by yourself.

msstring 10-18-2020 10:03 AM

Thanks for the feedback. Truck is a 50 F3 whithout booster.

I had bled the master cylinder before I started.

The first time I bled them I had a helper (unenthused wife LOL), she would push & release as I released and tightened the bleeder. Yesterday helper was not available. But I had read in the shop manual about putting a hose down into a bottle of break fluid. So I did that without a helper thinking any bubbles would come out and float to the top and any drawback would be brake fluid. Maybe that is not actually true though as that would have to force the bubbles down to the bottle.

I did read the post linked, I saw that right after I posted my question. I noticed there that you should not push the pedal all the way down. I didn't know that.

I'll check the push rod adjustment and try again with a helper and in the sequence noted after I get some more brake fluid.

I did see the link about the bleeders with the check valve I might look into that too.

Thanks again for the help. I'll report back with an update after my next attempt.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Clem Clement 10-18-2020 10:29 AM

Stay with it. You can do it. You will feel so good when you get it right..

19Fordy 10-18-2020 12:05 PM

You are using the correct wheel sequence for brake bleeding, correct?

If you decide to use Speed Bleeders, be sure to get the longer ones to make bleeding easier.

Do a Fordbarn search on "Speed Bleeders" and read, read, read.

JSeery 10-18-2020 12:07 PM

It doesn't take much of an overlook to keep having issues, one bubble in the system is noticeable.

paul2748 10-18-2020 08:01 PM

This is what I do when bleeding brakes (with a helper)

Fill a bottle (plastic please) with small amount of fluid.

Connect hose to bleeder, submerge other end in bottle fluid.

Have helper pump brakes two or three time and hold to floor (or stopping point)

Open bleeder till air/fluid is expended

Close bleeder

Tell helper to let up on pedal

Repeat till no air bubbles are expended

As stated, start with cylinder furthest away from master cylinder.

WBrown 10-19-2020 05:19 AM

AND--Make sure your bleeder hose doesn't have any holes in it!! (don't ask how I know)

glennpm 10-19-2020 05:56 AM

I agree with Paul except pump a lot more than 2 or 3 times. The hole letting fluid in and bubbles out of the Master is very small.

corvette8n 10-19-2020 08:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I used a vacuum pump to pull the fluid thru my new calipers when I replaced them on my truck, then bled them the rest of the way with a helper.