The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Steering stablizer (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=285728)

Don 08-17-2020 01:58 PM

Steering stablizer

Want to put a stablizer on my 35,any particular year of vw ,from what I’ve read on here a stablizer is a big improved fora driver,,.i know ,,,all steering components have. been rebuilt and in good condition,I put a 38 steering gear in a few yrs ago ,almost Have per steering now,just want to improve a little more,,,,

Mr 42 08-17-2020 02:13 PM

Re: Steering stablizer

The ones for the 1200/1300 have a pin in one en, making it a bit hard to mount.
The one for 1302 have holes in both ends, one end have small hole though.

T" VW's have stabilizer with "big" holes in both ends.

With that said So Cal sell the 1200/1300 with mounting parts.

Had shimmy problem on my Model A, mounted an 1200/1300 and it solved everything.

FlatheadTed 08-17-2020 04:05 PM

The need for a Steering stabilizer is usually some other problem ,Cross Ply tires ,loose wish bone ,lack of tension on the spring & reverst eyes ,wheel bearings , low caster .king pins , perch bolts ,loose steering box ,

Krylon32 08-17-2020 05:10 PM

Put a P&J steering damper on my 40 coupe, I used the one with the heim joint attached to one end. I put the tie rod clamp end on the tie rod and fabricated a simple bracket with some store bough u clamps and put the heim end on an axle bracket held on by the clamps. Painted everything black and it disappeared. I never had any problems but I like the way it takes out some of the road feed back.

RKS.PA 08-17-2020 05:14 PM

Are you getting any "hint" of the dreaded "death wobble"? If not and it were mine, I'd pass on the stabilizer.

I have a '27 T coupe hot rod with a Speedway straight front axle. This one did develop the "wobble" and I solved it with the VW like kit from SoCal. (Part #916-1932 at Speedway...$34.99 and comes with an assortment of attachment hardware)

Good luck....Dick.

Don 08-17-2020 07:55 PM

Never had the wobble on my 35 but sure have on my 29 rpu probably needit more on the pu than the 35
Just thinkit would improve steering on a rough road,,,

Talkwrench 08-17-2020 09:51 PM

Its not designed for improvement, its more insurance. You should never use one to cover a problem if you have one but certainly have one for piece of mind. If you've ever experienced the "death wobble" its cheap! your car doesn't need to be old , worn or crappy it can happen to even newer vehicles with a solid axle front end.

Aarongriffey 08-18-2020 02:12 AM

I noticed my F1 steering stabilizer was leaking oil. So I took it off.
I got the death wobble as soon as I slowed down to 25 MPH.
I thought the truck came from the factory with a stabilizer....evidently not.
My local parts store knew what I needed, they ordered one and it’s been fine ever since.
That was in 2015.
I agree that if you don’t have wobble you don’t need one.
Some years ago I got the wobble on my 26 T. Had a hard time finding the problem.
Turned out to be a very slight bump on the outside tread of one front tire.

Robert/Texas 08-18-2020 06:54 AM

Aaron, That's interesting as much the same thing happened to me. I have a '27 T and it had the death wobble for years but it only happened at low speeds on bumpy roads. I tried everything to fix it but nothing helped. When I noticed that the front tires had a lot more tread on them than the rears, I swapped them and the death wobble disappeared.

Karl Wolf 08-18-2020 02:24 PM

I think that I used the one from a (1975?) VW super beetle.

Karl