The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Late V8 (1954+) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Reassembly Questions regarding firewall (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=315028)

Patrick brophy 06-29-2022 05:59 PM

Reassembly Questions regarding firewall

2 Attachment(s)
I am starting to put my 1957 Thunderbird back together and I have a few questions.
I did not take a good deal of the car apart, so I am flying in the dark as I reassemble it.

I just put the dash back in the car and I am attempting the run the wires and cables thru the firewall.

I have a large hole where the bushing with several holes (4) goes and I know the wire harness with the two separate wire groups goes there. I do not know what else goes there.

On the lower left of the inside firewall there is a large opening in the firewall insulation pad (see photo) inside of that opening there are two small holes in the firewall just above the dimmer switch. I am assuming that one of those is for the left hand air cable. I have no idea what the second hold is for, and I can see no mention of it in any of my many manuals.

I hooked up the tach cable. It appears to me that it is a little long, almost to long. Is there several length tach drive cables for the different Ford models?
There is an electric connecting block that is located on the front left inter fender. I am unsure of the way the is fastened to the fender. There is a brass insert at each end that are threaded halfway .

Are they put on with machine screws from under, or is the threads there to stack them as I have observed in several catalogs?

There is a Small hole about 4 inches above the vin number tag .What is that used for? There is also a hole beneath and to the left of the tach coming thru the firewall.

How is the speedometer cable routed. When I had received the car the previous owner had taken a few liberty's with the tunnel area sheet metal.
Does the Speedometer go thru the tunnel somewhere, or thru the firewall.

Any help would be appreciated

55blacktie 06-29-2022 07:00 PM

Re: Reassembly Questions regarding firewall

Patrick, does your car have windshield washers? Sometime during its life, all of my components had been removed, but the nozzles were still in place on the cowl, below the windshield. After looking at numerous photos and talking to other owners, I determined that the single hole in that location in my 55's firewall accommodates the windshield-washer pump; it's the right size and correct location.

55blacktie 06-29-2022 07:16 PM

The aftermarket firewall cover instructions say that the hole is for the windshield wiper vacuum hose. There were perforations around the area of the hole, which had to be punched/cut out. I have Newport's electric wiper conversion kit (no vacuum hoses). If you have 2 holes, maybe one is for the washer pump, the other for the vacuum hose. I'm not sure how the vacuum hoses are routed. Although I have 2 holes in that area, neither is slotted/elongated, like one of yours. I used one of the firewall cover fasteners in the second hole, which fits like the others, and I don't recall having to make an extra hole in the cover to accommodate the fastener. In other words, I think it belongs there.

Patrick brophy 06-30-2022 06:16 AM

I do not have windshield washers.I did however install an electric windshield wiper motor.That explains the the hole up near the vin number plate.
Thank you.

KULTULZ 06-30-2022 06:41 AM

I don't know how far into detail this manual gets as I have never read one, but -

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....1gcsuWeVdL.jpg

Now for a persona question ... :cool:

How did a person with such a strong Irish name wind up in Alabama?

dmsfrr 06-30-2022 10:39 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I've got a '57 Bird all apart in the garage and should be able to help a bit, but brought home a case of covid last weekend, moving even slower than usual. :D

Patrick brophy, I am starting to put my 1957 Thunderbird back together and I have a few questions.
I did not take a good deal of the car apart, so I am flying in the dark as I reassemble it.
Same here, someone else took most of this one apart and it was about 2 yrs ago. :o

I just put the dash back in the car and I am attempting the run the wires and cables thru the firewall.

I have a large hole where the bushing with several holes (4) goes and I know the wire harness with the two separate wire groups goes there. I do not know what else goes there.
The metal
'Left Air' cable also passes thru that grommet.

On the lower left of the inside firewall there is a large opening in the firewall insulation pad (see photo) inside of that opening there are two small holes in the firewall just above the dimmer switch. I am assuming that one of those is for the left hand air cable. I have no idea what the second hold is for, and I can see no mention of it in any of my many manuals.
I thought those holes may be for the 2 bolts that anchor the forward end of the parking brake rod... but they look too small.

I hooked up the tach cable. It appears to me that it is a little long, almost to long. Is there several length tach drive cables for the different Ford models?
The Tach cable for a '55 Bird is longer than for a '57.

There is an electric connecting block that is located on the front left inter fender. I am unsure of the way the is fastened to the fender. There is a brass insert at each end that are threaded halfway .
Are they put on with machine screws from under, or is the threads there to stack them as I have observed in several catalogs?
Those RF and LF junction blocks are held to the inner fender with self-tapping sheetmetal screws.
Fyi, there are 2 different styles of those double stack junction blocks.
The internal connections aren't the same. Photo 4

There is a Small hole about 4 inches above the vin number tag .What is that used for?
Do you have a photo of that hole? This car has one there about 3/8 or 7/16 but it's very raw on the edges, not a nice factory hole. I'm planning on having it filled.

There is also a hole beneath and to the left of the tach coming thru the firewall.
Photo 5, tach cable coming thru the firewall, below the starter solenoid mount location.

How is the speedometer cable routed. When I had received the car the previous owner had taken a few liberty's with the tunnel area sheet metal.
It passes thru a hole in the cowl just above the dash/pedal support bracket. Then down to the top left front of the transmission tunnel and is held to the underside of the floor with a couple small riveted on straps. Example photos 1 thru 3 below.

Patrick brophy 06-30-2022 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KULTULZ (Post 2143431)
I don't know how far into detail this manual gets as I have never read one, but -

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....1gcsuWeVdL.jpg

I have that manual. I just reread it again. There is nothing in it regarding the firewall.
As far as Alabama goes,I got here as soon as I could but that was 60 years to late.
The state is the butt of every joke but after living here for the past ten years ,I will never leave.
I moved here from the arm pit of the world, New Jersey. When I arrived here I was welcomed by everyone. My taxes are 10 % of what they were up there, and the cost of living is 40% cheaper.
I still get questioned about "my" accent now and again,but I just smile.

Patrick brophy 06-30-2022 11:38 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmsfrr (Post 2143472)
I've got a '57 Bird all apart in the garage and should be able to help a bit, but brought home a case of covid last weekend, moving even slower than usual. :D

Patrick brophy, I am starting to put my 1957 Thunderbird back together and I have a few questions.
Same here, someone else took most of this one apart and it was about 2 yrs ago. :o

The metal
'Left Air' cable also passes thru that grommet.

I thought those holes may be for the 2 bolts that anchor the forward end of the parking brake rod... but they look too small.

The Tach cable for a '55 Bird is longer than for a '57.

Those RF and LF junction blocks are held to the inner fender with self-tapping sheetmetal screws.
Fyi, there are 2 different styles of those double stack junction blocks.
The internal connections aren't the same. Photo 4

There is a Small hole about 4 inches above the vin number tag .What is that used for?
Do you have a photo of that hole? This car has one there about 3/8 or 7/16 but it's very raw on the edges, not a nice factory hole. I'm planning on having it filled.

There is also a hole beneath and to the left of the tach coming thru the firewall.
Photo 5, tach cable coming thru the firewall, below the starter solenoid mount location.

It passes thru a hole at the top left front of the transmission tunnel and is held to the underside of the floor with a couple small riveted on straps. Example photos 1 thru 3 below.

I enclosed several photos That show the holes I was referring to. I also show a photo of the tach cable and you can see how long it is in the photo. I am using the hole in side of the firewall since that hole had the size for the correct size bushing for the tach cable.

dmsfrr 06-30-2022 03:23 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick brophy (Post 2143487)
I enclosed several photos That show the holes I was referring to. I also show a photo of the tach cable and you can see how long it is in the photo. I am using the hole in side of the firewall since that hole had the size for the correct size bushing for the tach cable.

I'm temporarily striking out on the holes above the Data plate. I'll go thru some more 'before' photos. The one closest to the top of the photo may be for one of the plastic pins that attaches the firewall insulating pad.

The 'appears to be original' Tach cable on my '57 Bird is approx 44.5 to 45 inches long.

Is the Tach cable in your photo inserted thru the firewall correctly? The orange circled knurled ring on the cable I have fastens to the back on the Tach not the distributor. But it looks like you have an after-market distributor so nevermind.

In this copy of your photo, the stud marked with an orange arrow is where the original main Ground wire fastens between the firewall and engine block. Excess paint will need to be removed.

'57 Birds have a weak link in the original Ground connections from the battery to a pair of small studs just over a foot apart on the firewall then to the engine block.
A better solution is to Ground the battery to the left side head or block with a full-sized battery cable. Then a good-sized Ground wire or strap from that terminal on the engine to the stud on the firewall. Similar to how the '55 & '56 body Ground cable was originally done.
https://www.ctci.org/battery-cables/

KULTULZ 06-30-2022 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick brophy (Post 2143486)

As far as Alabama goes,I got here as soon as I could but that was 60 years to late. The state is the butt of every joke but after living here for the past ten years ,I will never leave.

Nothing wrong with AL. I spent a lot of time down that way when trucking. It is too far south for me as to hurricanes and such.

You close to the REDNECK RIVIERA?

Quote:

I moved here from the arm pit of the world, New Jersey. When I arrived here I was welcomed by everyone. My taxes are 10 % of what they were up there, and the cost of living is 40% cheaper.
JOISY? Which exit ???

I spent way too much time there and NYC METRO.

Quote:

I still get questioned about "my" accent now and again,but I just smile.
I never understood why southerners are made fun of due to their accents. Go to N. Jersey, Brooklyn, Boston or CHI-TOWN and listen to the way they talk.

I am glad that you found bliss down south. I do miss those Jersey diners and sub shops though ...

You know the difference between a Yankee and a Damn Yankee don't you?

A Yankee comes for vacation. A Damn Yankee decides to stay ... :D

paul2748 06-30-2022 07:59 PM

Never heard of the O'Hara's at the Tara plantation??

Quote:

Originally Posted by KULTULZ (Post 2143431)

KULTULZ 07-01-2022 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paul2748 (Post 2143596)

Never heard of the O'Hara's at the Tara plantation??

Quote:

"It's proud I am that I'm Irish, and don't you be forgetting, Missy, that you're half-Irish, too. And, to anyone with a drop of Irish blood in them - why, the land they live on is like their mother. Oh, but there, there. Now, you're just a child. It will come to you, this love of the land. There's no gettin' away from it if you're Irish.”

— Gerald O'Hara to Scarlett
Well, now that you mention it ... :o

Patrick brophy 07-01-2022 06:49 AM

Oh do I miss the restaurants,bakerys sub shops etc. But what I miss the most is the great ripper style hot dogs with the good casing hot dog made locally. The diners with the great New York style cheese cake........down here we got Walmart.

Patrick brophy 07-01-2022 07:04 AM

I am only guessing regarding the tach route.I found the only bushing in the box that could be used that fit over the smaller end the fits the tach end.
Since the cable is fairly rigid and cable attached to the distributor is pointing the direction of the sideways hole in the firewall,and the bushing fit the hole ,I assumed it was correct and used it.
Again,in the dark here.is it not correct?

KULTULZ 07-01-2022 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick brophy (Post 2143694)

Oh do I miss the restaurants,bakerys sub shops etc. But what I miss the most is the great ripper style hot dogs with the good casing hot dog made locally. The diners with the great New York style cheese cake........down here we got Walmart.

I spent a lot of time in Jersey. I always wanted to find that PHILLY STEAK SHOP in Philly.

Were you in North or South Jersey?

But I also love Southern Cooking, even Creole to an extent.

You know something, hot dogs seem to be out of favor. I love the things. I bought one off a food truck in the Jersey Ports and the guy asked if I wanted kraut on it ... :eek: ...

I said no but he slapped it on there anyway. I bit into it and it was delicious. Live and learn.

Wish I could help with your BIRD, but I never got involved with them.

Patrick brophy 07-01-2022 09:25 AM

Clinton, New Jersey ,right off route 78.Was an hour out of Manhattan, and an hour and 15 minutes from Philly. Good eats at both locations. There was also quite a few great local restaurants.

dmsfrr 07-01-2022 10:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick brophy (Post 2143699)
I am only guessing regarding the tach route.I found the only bushing in the box that could be used that fit over the smaller end the fits the tach end.
Since the cable is fairly rigid and cable attached to the distributor is pointing the direction of the sideways hole in the firewall,and the bushing fit the hole ,I assumed it was correct and used it.
Again,in the dark here.is it not correct?

Yes that sounds correct to me.

In this photo you can see the path taken by the Speedometer cable.