The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Timing and hand throttle levers (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=283714)

Mikko_ 07-07-2020 01:04 PM

Timing and hand throttle levers

I think I messed up when I refurbished my steering column by removing the hand control levers.

Any good ideas out there on how to get them back in?

Jacksonlll 07-07-2020 03:32 PM

Re: Timing and hand throttle levers

Sure, you just have to “worry” them in. You will find the hole. Stick with it.

Kurt in NJ 07-07-2020 03:48 PM

I have drilled a small dimple in the end and used ice pick for guide

Mikko_ 07-07-2020 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacksonlll (Post 1906937)
Sure, you just have to “worry” them in. You will find the hole. Stick with it.

Guess I'll just have to keep trying then.

When I removed them I thought they ran in a tube the whole length but that sure wasn't the case.

30 Closed Cab PU 07-08-2020 09:53 AM

In the U.S you could perhaps purchase a good used one from a place like Berts. Since you are in Sweden, this may not be an option.

Russ/40 07-08-2020 10:50 AM

The first one should be easy, as you can see down the other hole for guidance. Feel your way around with the second one, and you can tap the installed one to get your orientation for the second. You should be able to feel the second one tapping against the first installed one.

Mikko_ 07-09-2020 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU (Post 1907150)
In the U.S you could perhaps purchase a good used one from a place like Berts. Since you are in Sweden, this may not be an option.

No not really an option at the moment, but thanks anyway.:)

Mikko_ 07-09-2020 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ/40 (Post 1907168)
The first one should be easy, as you can see down the other hole for guidance. Feel your way around with the second one, and you can tap the installed one to get your orientation for the second. You should be able to feel the second one tapping against the first installed one.

Yes it should be easy but thing is, for some reason I installed the column and steering box in the car before reinstalling the levers.

Guess I'll have to pull it out again so I can hold the column in a vertical position instead.

marty in Ohio 07-09-2020 07:01 AM

A few years ago I helped a friend restore a '30 coupe. It went smoothly and it was a good experience until we installed the levers in the steering column.
Marty

ryanheacox 07-09-2020 07:12 AM

Mine were also a bear to get back in. Part of the problem was the new upper bushing... by far the worst part of the entire steering box rebuild.

Jack Shaft 07-09-2020 07:49 AM

On top of all of the above,be sure and slide a piece of fuel line on the rods as an anti rattler.

Mikko,if your going to run a performance head get rid of the A distributor,go with a mechanical advance unit,the tolerance for timing inaccuracy gets shorter as you raise compression.I run the throttle rod only on mine..its handy for warm up and oklahoma cruise control..but I ditched the spark rod,run a B distributor.

midgetracer 07-09-2020 08:19 AM

I find that putting them in with the anti rattler is much easier before you put the column on the steering shaft. Then ou can use the steering shaft hole and a tool to guide the levers into the bottom hole. It may be a pain to disassemble now, but probably save time in the long run and ou can get them in with the anti rattler where it should be.

Mikko_ 07-09-2020 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Shaft (Post 1907388)
On top of all of the above,be sure and slide a piece of fuel line on the rods as an anti rattler.

Mikko,if your going to run a performance head get rid of the A distributor,go with a mechanical advance unit,the tolerance for timing inaccuracy gets shorter as you raise compression.I run the throttle rod only on mine..its handy for warm up and oklahoma cruise control..but I ditched the spark rod,run a B distributor.

Yes I will be running a high compression head and centrifugal advance distributor so I will probably ditch the spark lever too.

Jacksonlll 07-09-2020 01:17 PM

The next guy to get that car will want that lever in place.

alexiskai 07-09-2020 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacksonlll (Post 1907542)

The OP might want it in place too in case the auto distributor ever develops a problem or needs to be swapped out for troubleshooting.

Mikko_ 07-11-2020 08:49 AM

Tried the "drill a dimple in the end-method" and that did the trick, lever is in.

Jack Shaft 07-11-2020 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacksonlll (Post 1907542)

it will give the new owner something to do then.. :)

Mikko_ 07-11-2020 01:28 PM

I'm not planning on selling the car because this is something I've been dreaming of building for a very long time, so I'll take my chances and ditch the spark rod and just keeping the hand throttle.