The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Model B motor (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=284843)

old Tom 07-31-2020 08:03 AM

Model B motor

an a model B Motor be installed in a Model A easily?

Bob Bidonde 07-31-2020 09:36 AM

Re: Model B motor

Yes

JKY 07-31-2020 09:42 AM

My 1929 Fordor has a B motor and transmission in it. Was there when I bought it. The extra 10 horses seems to make a noticable difference.

Bob Bidonde 07-31-2020 09:48 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Yes, the Model B motor fits into the Model A using the Model A's engine mounts, but it requires a modification to an oil pan to fit the Model A's flywheel housing.
The oil pan choices are to rework a Model A pan by adding 4 dents in its side to clear the Model B connecting rods plus trimming the rear of the Model A pan to fit the larger Model B rear main bearing cap.The alternative is use a Model B oil pan by cutting-off its flywheel housing.
If the engine will have a stock or Model A carburetor, the fuel pump is not required, so block-off the pump's opening in the side of the engine.
You can use the Model A or Model B distributor. Use a Model A exhaust manifold and intake manifold. The carburetor can be a Model A or Model B. Starting motors are the same, and you can use either the A or B generator.
Optionally, you can use a Model A cylinder head and water pump. Use the Model B radiator hoses because they are a tad longer than those in the Model A.

johnneilson 07-31-2020 09:55 AM

You can also replace the rod nuts with stronger ones and for-go the adding "dents" to the "A" pan, just modify the rear main radius cut.

J

Charlie Stephens 07-31-2020 02:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attached is a picture of my shortened pan. I left a strip of metal on the pan instead of risking a leak. Remember if you run a stock Model A head on a Model B engine you will need to plug the 2 steam holes near the center or they will leak.

Charlie Stephens

hardtimes 07-31-2020 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old Tom (Post 1915044)
an a model B Motor be installed in a Model A easily?

Hey ToM,
Bob B has given great advice/info !
I've modified/used both A and B pans on B engines.
I like the A pan on the B. Not hard to modify, except for the bumps to clear the B rods. I've always used stronger rod nuts, as recommended by Jim Brierley. They did slightly touch the A pan sides during trial fits !

A bit of work, no matter which path you chose, but worth the efforts. Take your time and ASK if not sure.
Good luck

Jim Brierley 08-01-2020 10:48 AM

As John says, you don't need to dimple the A pan if you use ARP 12-point nuts, they are stronger yet smaller in O.D.

old Tom 08-01-2020 05:14 PM

many thanks to all who replied. Tom